The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old 03-18-2019, 01:16 PM
imwjl imwjl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: My mom's basement.
Posts: 5,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
We're talking about cheating. To varying degrees, this occurs all over society. It occurs in business... do we need to talk about Enron? It occurs in the military... in sports, in music, on our taxes, etc. Almost anywhere there is a top-dog prize or financial benefit, cheating occurs. Seems to me, society's task should be to eliminate it or diminish its effects rather than to trash every institution in which it occurs.
Good post. I've seen a lot of education bashing with this news topic but it remains that education and the institutions are VERY important.
__________________
ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ
  #92  
Old 03-18-2019, 02:26 PM
Otterhound Otterhound is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
We're talking about cheating. To varying degrees, this occurs all over society. It occurs in business... do we need to talk about Enron? It occurs in the military... in sports, in music, on our taxes, etc. Almost anywhere there is a top-dog prize or financial benefit, cheating occurs. Seems to me, society's task should be to eliminate it or diminish its effects rather than to trash every institution in which it occurs.
Totally wrong .
The goal should be to eliminate it . When that is done , there will be no consequences to be dealt with .
Rationalizing it serves only to encourage it .
  #93  
Old 03-18-2019, 03:43 PM
imwjl imwjl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: My mom's basement.
Posts: 5,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Totally wrong .
The goal should be to eliminate it . When that is done , there will be no consequences to be dealt with .
Rationalizing it serves only to encourage it .
I'll need more explanation to understand you. Kerbie said "Seems to me, society's task should be to eliminate it or diminish its effects rather than to trash every institution in which it occurs.".

It's damaging to trash important institutions and correct to say we should eliminate or diminish the problem. We should not forget the institutions are full of ethical and hard working people - students and staff. We still have the hard working and honest kids doing things right. We still have faculty inspiring and educating the kids and benefitting us overall.

Not all the big money is stroking an ego or about sports. As an example I know, don't let the big money or pop news cycle overshadow the John and Tashia Morgridges of the world. There are more and they should be encouraged.
__________________
ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ
  #94  
Old 03-18-2019, 03:52 PM
Kerbie Kerbie is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 16,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Totally wrong .
The goal should be to eliminate it . When that is done , there will be no consequences to be dealt with .
Rationalizing it serves only to encourage it .
What is wrong, Otter? You've criticized me twice without bothering to be specific. I didn't rationalize it. As a matter of fact as imwjl pointed out, I even said, "society's task should be to eliminate it..." How on earth do you twist those words into my rationalizing it?
  #95  
Old 03-18-2019, 04:10 PM
Haasome's Avatar
Haasome Haasome is offline
Charter Picker
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 7,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
We're talking about cheating. To varying degrees, this occurs all over society. It occurs in business... do we need to talk about Enron? It occurs in the military... in sports, in music, on our taxes, etc. Almost anywhere there is a top-dog prize or financial benefit, cheating occurs. Seems to me, society's task should be to eliminate it or diminish its effects rather than to trash every institution in which it occurs.
I think this is spot-on Kerbie.
__________________
Paul
  #96  
Old 03-18-2019, 04:21 PM
RP's Avatar
RP RP is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 12,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Seems to me, society's task should be to eliminate it [cheating] or diminish its effects...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
The goal should be to eliminate it [cheating] . When that is done, there will be no consequences to be dealt with...
Seems like you guys will just have to agree to agree...
__________________
Taylor 524
Taylor 710
Taylor 814
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
  #97  
Old 03-18-2019, 04:24 PM
Kerbie Kerbie is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 16,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Seems like you guys will just have to agree to agree...
Ain't that the truth, RP...
  #98  
Old 03-18-2019, 04:36 PM
Otterhound Otterhound is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
What is wrong, Otter? You've criticized me twice without bothering to be specific. I didn't rationalize it. As a matter of fact as imwjl pointed out, I even said, "society's task should be to eliminate it..." How on earth do you twist those words into my rationalizing it?
Please look at your entire post . If you can't see the rationalizing , I can't be of any assistance .
  #99  
Old 03-18-2019, 04:54 PM
TomB'sox's Avatar
TomB'sox TomB'sox is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Upstate Ny via Minnesota, soon heading to Texas
Posts: 5,691
Default

I think this thread has had enough time. Thank you.
__________________
PS. I love guitars!
Closed Thread

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=