The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-13-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Make an electric travel guitar

Has anyone chopped a cheap used solid body down for practicing? Thinking a $50 strat that I could leave in the car for picking practice during lunch breaks.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:35 AM

An acquaintance of mine, the fellow is a chauffeur, does just that. He takes playable but very inexpensive solid bodies and cuts them down to mini players to keep in the limo to play when waiting for the clients to return. He offered one to me once and I now regret not taking him up on the offer. He tends to lean towards those very cheap Epiphone SG copies.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:57 AM

Since you're talking car rather than needing to pack it in a suitcase or bag, I'm not sure how much you gain with cutting, though when I saw your post I thought of the "Travelcaster"

The Travelcaster is a bit more than $50, but cool

For real suitcase travel, I've just unscrewed the neck of a standard Fender style guitar with a capo on the strings. If I did this often I'd probably invest in one of those real "bolt on" neck reto-fit kits that replace the screws with real bolts with threaded metal receivers placed in the body.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-15-2019, 11:03 AM

What kind of temperatures do you get in the car?
Electrics aren't as vulnerable as wooden acoustic guitars - but there are limits to what even a battle club like telecaster can take.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 03-15-2019, 11:24 AM

we're going for short not small correct? are you all just talking about cutting/chopping the body wood behind the bridge? Your headstock will still be the same with the tuners. You might be able to get an inch or so up there on a strat style. They make Mini Strats I have one and they are nice, still not the shortest. No matter what for a car in the drivers seat, you'll either have to roll down your window or get something as short as a uke. If you move to passenger seat then any size will do and no need to make shorter or smaller.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies, time to go shopping.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:30 AM

have you looked at a used Earlewine Chiquita. I like mine. Plugged into a Joyo American Sound amp sim pedal and as aux to a car sound system she sounds pretty good.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

The Eaelwine looks like a great guitar but am thinking of a $50 guitar.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:13 AM

Default Have you seen John Mayall's chopped down Squier?

John Mayall has customised a Squier Strat and uses it in his shows regularly. He can sling it behind his back when he's playing keys/piano and just grab it when he needs it.
You can check it out here:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d6/3b...ca8c84c973.jpg
Old 03-25-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

I don't keep it in the car ready for playing at a moment's notice, but I have a guitar I use for travel. It's a cheap telecaster with P90s I picked up for about $300 a while back. It's not part of my rotation at home. If I'm driving somewhere for a short trip, I take my acoustic. If I'm driving for an extended time away (we spend three months down south each winter, I take the acoustic and an electric and a small amp. But if we're flying somewhere for more than a few days, I take the neck off the telecaster and stash it in a suitcase along with a tiny little Blackstar fly amp and a mini-pedalboard I'd made with five tiny pedals and a small bamboo cutting board. When I get where I'm going I screw the neck back on and I'm good to go.

I tried a travelcaster briefly but I never liked playing it - no place for your arm or to rest / brace your hand/wrist...

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars