The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-04-2019, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro pickups?

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro with Probucker 2 and 3 pickups. I also just happen to have a set of Duncan Whole Lotta Humbuckers pickups sitting around. I realize this is purely personal taste, but which is a better set? I've never tried the Duncan WLH pickups and took them in trade. The ones in the Epi are pretty good and get good reviews. Just wondering if the Duncan set will be better? I don't really want to pay my tech to change them only to find out they suck. Thoughts? What would YOU do?

Todd
Old 03-05-2019, 10:07 AM

I have a Sheraton Pro II, same pickups,

While indeed this is all personal preference, the Epi ProBuckers are very good pickups. comparing them to my 2 les pauls, (490R/498T and a set of Duncans Sh1 and JB) to my ears the pro buckers hold their own.

Also changing things out, you'd need to do something about the push/pull config the stock wiring is setup with.

TBH about it, if it was me, I'd leave it be..

if this was my FIRST Sheraton II, (a late 90s MIK) then I would say "YES Do it!" Those stock pups were kind of dark, not well defined/muddy for me.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:05 AM

Default Vox AC10 question

I’m considering adding one of these to my collection of amplifiers. Off the top of my head I’m guessing this reissue or modern incarnation came out around 2012.

For those who have had one for a period of time, how is the long term reliability of these?

Edit: (Sorry, wrong thread)
Old 03-05-2019, 12:02 PM

if you can, undo one of the pickups and tentatively set up one of the duncans. that will give you an idea of whether or not you want them in permanently.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-05-2019, 06:25 PM

Hi Todd, do you do your own pickup changes/soldering? If so, I say give the Duncans a chance. I imagine the Duncans would sound better then the Epi pickups and it's a quick test. Assuming that you like vintage-hot pickups, which is what those Duncans are.

BTW, the Whole Lotta Love pickups are relatively new, only been out 5 years or so.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone!

Dru, generally I just have the shop do it. Not sure how the coil splitting thing works.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:24 AM

I have an Epi Les Paul Studio and ES 339 Pro. I wouldn't consider changing the pick ups on either one. If it aint broke don't fix it.

Last edited by Beechcreek Gary; 03-06-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Thanks everyone!

Dru, generally I just have the shop do it. Not sure how the coil splitting thing works.
If you don't put the Duncans in the Epi do you have another guitar to put them in, will they just sit in your drawer, or will you sell them? If they're going to sit, put them in the Epi just to try them out.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

No, I only have two humbucker equipped guitars, one of which has active pickups. I think I am going to change them and see how I like it.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Here's an update...

I had the Duncan pickups installed today and they are absolutely awesome! Such clarity and nuance to the tone! I'm very happy with this change! The Probucker are good pickups and many may like them better. But, for me anyway, the Duncan's are a great upgrade.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Here's an update...

I had the Duncan pickups installed today and they are absolutely awesome! Such clarity and nuance to the tone! I'm very happy with this change! The Probucker are good pickups and many may like them better. But, for me anyway, the Duncan's are a great upgrade.
Todd, I thought you'd prefer those SD pickups. Clarity is usually one of Duncan's characteristics. It doesn't mean the Probuckers are not nice guitars but I think it's a different world when you go to Seymour Duncans (or other US made pickups like DiMarzio).
Old 03-09-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Todd, I thought you'd prefer those SD pickups. Clarity is usually one of Duncan's characteristics. It doesn't mean the Probuckers are not nice guitars but I think it's a different world when you go to Seymour Duncans (or other US made pickups like DiMarzio).
Yes, after some more time with the Duncan's, they are definitely much better (for me) than the Probuckers that came with the Epi. BTW, that Custom Pro is unbelievable! Sustain for days!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars