The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-02-2019, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Mic cables

I'm looking at 3' long mic cables. Some are around $14, others $36. What makes some cables better than others?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-02-2019, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

If everything is connected properly and nothing fails, you're not likely going to hear a big difference. However, I've found cheaper mic cables will fail more quickly and I've got better things to do than trace down a bad cable. So I prefer Mogami cables with Neutrik connectors. I get all my cables custom made from Redco.com and they're a lot cheaper than buying the same cable online. For example, a 20 ft mogami cable with xlr blk/gold connectors will cost you $70 at Sweetwater and $38 through Redco. Great quality, great price. Plus by ordering custom, you get the added benefit of ordering the exact length you need. That's not a big deal for every application but it does come in handy when you're trying to keep the cable spaghetti look behind your rack to a minimum.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-02-2019, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
If everything is connected properly and nothing fails, you're not likely going to hear a big difference. However, I've found cheaper mic cables will fail more quickly and I've got better things to do than trace down a bad cable. So I prefer Mogami cables with Neutrik connectors. I get all my cables custom made from Redco.com and they're a lot cheaper than buying the same cable online. For example, a 20 ft mogami cable with xlr blk/gold connectors will cost you $70 at Sweetwater and $38 through Redco. Great quality, great price. Plus by ordering custom, you get the added benefit of ordering the exact length you need. That's not a big deal for every application but it does come in handy when you're trying to keep the cable spaghetti look behind your rack to a minimum.
Thanks Jim.....

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-02-2019, 11:25 PM

I've bought a few 1/4" and xlr cables from Monoprice that are as good as just about anything out there and significantly less money. I also have Mogami/Neutrik.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Another Redco fan, they've made some great custom mic cables for me for my tube mics, and the price was great!
Old 03-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'm looking at 3' long mic cables. Some are around $14, others $36. What makes some cables better than others?
There is a lot of controversy surrounding claims made by many cable companies
That said: what is not in controversy is,
in a general sense it is a matter of conductance , resistance and shielding
Generally the cleaner/purer the conduction material (copper being most common--- all to a point of diminishing return ) the lower the resistance and the more efficiently and completely the signal passses at any given amount of copper.

My favorite and IMO a good quality/price ratio mic cables are as mentioned Mogami... Mine are 15 ft. I had mine made up at my local Pro Audio shop who priced them on a par with Redco's prices

Also good quality mic cables will last a long time and thus I would not recommend 3 ft cables because that seems like your looking at a very specific application and looking to the future may not be future proof ... I would at the very least get 10 ft. if not 15 or 20, yes short term it may mean coiling up most of cabe, but down the road it could mean not having to purchase a longer one

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-03-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:14 AM

I like Gotham GAC-3 and GAC-5, but have others that work well. The GAC-5 use two spiraled conductors per side that helps to cut down on interference.

Plugs are important. The cheap fall apart more quickly. Switchcraft connectors (for me) are still the gold standard. The Neutrik's will do. I've experimented with the Neutrik EMC. They are a bit fussy to solder, but to offer more RF rejection. We found that using only one of the female end worked fine and did cut down on some cell phone interference when the cell phone was placed within several feet of the microphone.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
... I would not recommend 3 ft cables because that seems like your looking at a very specific application and looking to the future may not be future proof ...
Agreed, if it's for mics in a live room. 15 feet seems like a practical average length.

But the OP did mention "spaghetti behind the rack." I've got a couple 500-series racks, and I made a dozen or so 12" XLR cables for those. I wish I had made more.

Couch Standards
Old 03-03-2019, 01:28 PM

i've purchased from monoprice and from amazon and have had no problems with either. i even think that the monoprice and amazon are the same. both were very cheap. i do some a couple 3ft. that go from my cloudlifter to the audio interface, but, i also have a couple 6ft. as well as a few 15 or 20ft. varying sizes do help.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-03-2019, 01:47 PM

I never buy cheap mic cables. We spend too much money on our instruments and gear to skimp on a couple of mic cables, just get (or make) the best.

If money is an issue you can make you own high quality cables for significantly less: Mogami and Canare cable are standards. Neutrik and Switchcraft connectors are standards. There are other quality companies, I'm sure, but I stick with these.

By making your own you can make them any length you want.

You can also save by making your own TRS cables.

If you don't want to hassle making your own, Redco and some other companies make great cables. Just don't skimp.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

I bought a couple of 5' Mogami cables. I've had my other cables for around 10 years, so maybe its time. Thanks for the info everyone

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-06-2019, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Based on your post I tried to order a pair of 15' XLR Mic cables off their site like you mentioned. After screwing with all the different prompts, I finally got as close as I could get, but still couldn't get a male on one end and a female on the other. I tried, and I'm fairly computer literate and been playing guitar for 45 years, and I still couldn't order a simple mic cable off that site.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD