The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-19-2019, 10:41 AM

Default Youtube channel

Good day everyone, i am thinking about starting a youtube channel, just posting cover tunes for fun. I know some folks here have channels and i am curious about your experience as well as the pros and cons, and maybe some pitfalls to watch out for. Any thoughts would be great! Thanks in advance! Cheers!
Old 02-19-2019, 11:31 AM

If your posting songs that are not yours, you may get flagged for copyright issues. YouTube is known for that so be aware of this as you proceed.
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Abilene Hot Rod Bass (found parts in trash can an resurrected)
Peavey TKO Bass Amp
Cordoba Concert Ukulele
A few more things that I'll add soon
Old 02-19-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattzap View Post
If your posting songs that are not yours, you may get flagged for copyright issues. YouTube is known for that so be aware of this as you proceed.
Hi KINGPAUL,

YouTube is very careful about copyright infringement issues, but if you list the author(s) of the song you are covering in your title for the song, you are not likely to have any problems. Publishers and artists who own rights to songs likely to be covered can make a claim on your cover and routinely do based on my own experience. The large majority of the time this means that an advertisement will be attached to your video and the proceeds from that ad will then go to the copyright owner as payment to cover the use of the work.

The only time I have been surprised over YouTube action is when I did a cover of Don Henley and Glen Frey's song, "Desperado." My cover of "Desperado" was (and still is) blocked in North America. Apparently the Eagles have a policy of blocking covers of their songs under most conditions, though for some reason, some covers of "Desperado" have not been blocked. I'm not sure why that might be, but maybe the people who did the covers received permission from the Eagles' music publishing company ahead of doing their YouTube cover.

An interesting note on this subject: I did a cover (with my grand daughter) of the well known John Denver song, "Take Me Home Country Roads" written by John Denver, Bill Danoff, Hayao Miyazaki, & Taffy Nivert. I received a series of very nice and supportive comments from Taffy Nivert on my cover. I got quite a kick out of her making contact with me, and it all happened because I was very upfront about who the authors of the song were.

Good luck with your channel.

- Glenn
Old 02-19-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGPAUL View Post
Good day everyone, i am thinking about starting a youtube channel, just posting cover tunes for fun. I know some folks here have channels and i am curious about your experience as well as the pros and cons, and maybe some pitfalls to watch out for. Any thoughts would be great! Thanks in advance! Cheers!

Hi Kingpaul, if you just want to make some videos for fun, I don’t see any downside. But with time you may get a bit more pricky with sound and video quality, so the main downside I see is that it can be very time consuming , especially the audio and video editing, especially if you record from different angles etc... you also need to produce on a very regular basis if getting some decent amount of views is important for you. That being said this is great fun , so enjoy and good luck with your new channel !
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 02-19-2019, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Hi, I have my own YouTube channel and I've just clocked over 250,000 views.
I started up because I wanted to record numbers so thet my band members could see them, and decide whether to do them, how to do them etc.

Then I started my "chatty" videos trying to help users of various fora with common and oft repeated questions, plus some comparisons of different guitars.

I have to say that the comments sent to me are a constant delight, and I seem to have made many friends on YouTube (what my wife calls "my invisible friends" - she calls my forum friends the same!)

My channel is extremely simple and my unedited recordings are made with simple Zoom cameras, and mostly by daylight.

One thing I would advise, is, like with a business presentation - keep it sharp, clear and snappy ...I used to be very good at delivering presentations but as I age I find I tend to ramble. So try to keep videos under ten minutes. (I've learnt through my mistakes).

Also keep your finished videos on file...you never know if/when YouTube might end/change rules etc.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
YouTube is very careful about copyright infringement issues, but if you list the author(s) of the song you are covering in your title for the song, you are not likely to have any problems.
- Glenn
That's been my experience as well.
I've always been careful about putting that info right upfront in a video frame and in the description. I also list the arranger of a tune I'm covering, if it's relevant.
The only time I had an issue (was contacted by YouTube) was when I put the video up too quickly and just forgot to do that. Even then, it wasn't taken down, but I subsequently removed it myself (it wasn't very good. .
As Glenn also mentions, some artists are more fussy than others, but for the most part, they are likely to benefit more from the exposure for well done covers than be hurt by it.
As far as things to watch out for, the only negative aspect I've experienced has been people spamming the site for their own commercial purposes, but that's not been much of an issue. (Of course, I don't have that many followers anyway so that may be part of it. )
Enjoy your YouTube adventure!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 02-20-2019, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

I have one which I don't reference here. I mostly have it for prospective employers to look at as well as so old girl friends can see how hot I'm looking.

It's fun, I create a video from time to time but not incessantly as some seem to do. I get many compliments from all over the world on various videos. Initially I was wary about the cover thing, but YouTube is crawling with them and I do reference the original artist. I am aware of one or two YouTubers who have had their channels pulled over the years, but these guys had hundreds of covers and were widely known. As a nobody, I have had and foresee no difficulties at all.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:05 AM

Mine is all original, copyrighted songs I've written over the years. Starving songwriter and all.

I need to upgrade some of the older ones with poor audio/video quality.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-20-2019, 09:02 AM

Certain song-owning companies (Warner Brothers, for one) are quick to have 'copyright infringement' videos removed. I don't know what algorithm they use, but it doesn't seem to matter if you use the actual song title in the video name or not.
I've had cover versions of the Eagles and Led Zeppelin removed. Other cover songs seem to go un-noticed, yet 'live bootleg' videos from those artists get taken down, sometimes in days, sometimes months - Steely Dan, Joe Walsh, Jethro Tull.
But as the 'channel owner', all you suffer is the loss of your posted video and the 'views', with a notice email. I usually put the videos on Facebook then, as they don't seem to have the same issues.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele