The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 04:46 PM

Default Got a New Cedar top just by switching to 80/20

I wasn't very much pleased with my ebay acquisition of Alvarez AG75CE.
I wanted Cedar Rosewood to try out for sound.
For last 6-8 months I repented and was planning to sell it.
It just didn't sound like what I had hoped for. Always put Daddario EJ16 on them.

Read somewhere on this forum about using 80/20 with Cedar top.
Gave it a go wit John Pearse 200L and what the heck.
Couldn't keep the guitar down. What a pleasant surprise.

Never give up on a guitar until you have tried different strings and different pics. I know now why someone said that somewhere on the net.
Guild D120 - All hog
Old 02-18-2019, 05:07 PM

Absolutely...
I was an 80-20 hater but on my J45 they do the job in spades.
I use Gibson Masterbuilts, Curt Mangan or Newtone Heritage, none of which are inexpensive. I don't care.

No good on the D18 though, gotta' be PB's or Retros.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-18-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirguitar View Post
I wasn't very much pleased with my ebay acquisition of Alvarez AG75CE.

I wanted Cedar Rosewood to try out for sound.

For last 6-8 months I repented and was planning to sell it.

It just didn't sound like what I had hoped for. Always put Daddario EJ16 on them.

Read somewhere on this forum about using 80/20 with Cedar top.

Gave it a go wit John Pearse 200L and what the heck.

Couldn't keep the guitar down. What a pleasant surprise.

Never give up on a guitar until you have tried different strings and different pics. I know now why someone said that somewhere on the net.
Your final statement about not giving up on a guitar....is an incredible truth!

One thing I see a lot on AGF is the tendency to expect perfection right now, with a new guitar. There are so many variables. Patience.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Ive got a redwood top over rosewood which I'd been less than enthralled with. I just changed the saddle from Micarta to bone and the change was dramatically good. Now you've given me a second mod to try given the similarities between cedar and redwood. I've been playing Phos Bron for years on pretty much everything, but next change I'll finally open that pack of 80/20 I have sitting around. Thx
Old 02-19-2019, 02:51 AM

I accidentally put on a set of 80/20 Martin Life Span strings on my Taylor 512 cedar/mahogany. I really like the sound, not a huge different from the PB Martins but a bit brighter when strummed, which helps
Old 02-19-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post

No good on the D18 though, gotta' be PB's or Retros.
Agreed. My D18 sounds nice with PBs too.
Guild D120 - All hog
Old 02-19-2019, 05:20 AM

I totally agree about your comment regarding trying different strings on your guitar before giving up on it. However, all I ever use are 80/20 bronze strings on just about every acoustic guitar I have ever owned. I usually buy the cheapest Martin strings but I have tried other brands and they all usually work for me. Sadly it's hard to find D'Addario 80/20 bronze strings around here. All the shops carry the PB's but never 80/20's.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfreek View Post
I totally agree about your comment regarding trying different strings on your guitar before giving up on it. However, all I ever use are 80/20 bronze strings on just about every acoustic guitar I have ever owned. I usually buy the cheapest Martin strings but I have tried other brands and they all usually work for me. Sadly it's hard to find D'Addario 80/20 bronze strings around here. All the shops carry the PB's but never 80/20's.
That’s a scary thought re lack of 80/20 D’Addario’s available in your area. I think I’ll go into town to stock up ...

The special combination of fat + clear tone = pure vintage goodness

In my experience
Old 02-19-2019, 02:48 PM

I liked the EJ16s on my Ag75. I won it on eBay for a hundred dollars a couple years ago and it was advertised as having a crack in the lower bout. I wanted to fix a crack so I bid and won. The crack turned out to be finish checking and no crack through the wood. This guitar was one of the warmest, most resonant cedar tops I've ever played. Well, seeing as I only payed a hundred, I listed it for sale and made a hundred on it. I owned the MG75 at the time, also, and thought it would get good like the AG. I regret selling the AG, one of the nicest sounding guitars I've played. It was old, well played, had a hard life, bumps and bruises, yet was still ready to make beautiful music. I ended up selling the MG because I knew it would never be as good as the AG I had. I would bet that a tonerite would enhance this guitar, majorly.

Breedlove Cascade C25/cre
Fender PM1 Deluxe
Yamaha ll16R A.R.E.
Martin Dread Jr E Sitka

Eastman Cello
Old 02-19-2019, 07:25 PM

The strings make ‘em ring. Good job.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
That’s a scary thought re lack of 80/20 D’Addario’s available in your area. I think I’ll go into town to stock up ...

The special combination of fat + clear tone = pure vintage goodness

In my experience
I just think it's due to the popularity of PB strings over 80/20 bronze ones. I don't mind PB's either but my first choice is usually 80/20's if I can find them.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Yes.... My Taylor GS7 with cedar top loves 80/20's tremendously... as well as EB Aluminum Bronze, and a few others. My taste in PB these days is for my 12 string guitars consistently, and the Taylor GO 518 (spruce / mahogany) occasionally. But even it, along with the GS7 sounds great with GHS Contact Core Bright Bronze strings. They are so unique that you owe yourself a spin with a set of them... clear and loud piano like clarity even on the bass strings.

Since taking notes on each brand and type of string I have put on my guitars, it has helped me to reach out and enjoy the new alloy strings that are on the market. I found it odd that the manager/owner of one local Taylor / Breedlove guitar store, will not even stock any of the new alloy guitar strings... pretty much locked into PB or 80/20's only.

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion