The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-17-2019, 07:19 AM

Default Sunrise Sound Hole pick up

I am curious as to how the Sunrise stacks up to the LR Baggs M1 or M1A and the Fishman Rare Earth. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

I haven't tried the Fishman but I'm a longtime Sunrise user. I've owned all the Baggs sound hole pickups and because they are microphonic by design they amplify any accidental tapping. A problem for me. When hit with a thumbpick it's loud and unpleasant to the ear. No such problem with a Sunrise or a DiMarzio Black Angel.

I own a Black Angel too and lately it's the one I reach for. IMHO the Black Angel is every bit as good as the Sunrise which is excellent.

A tip for you. Plug a Sunrise pickup or Black Angel pickup into a Demeter Tube Direct and from there go to your mixer/amp. You'll hear angels singing. There's nothing like tubes and transformers to bring out the full tone of a good magnetic pickup. The Sunrise/Demeter combination has been used by Lyle Lovette, Crosby Stills..., Emmylou Harris, Keith Richards, etc. The Tube DI ain't cheap but IMO it's worth it if you're going with either a Sunrise or a Black Angel.

Last edited by Al Acuff; 02-17-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mking View Post
I am curious as to how the Sunrise stacks up to the LR Baggs M1 or M1A and the Fishman Rare Earth. Thanks.
That is a good question
I have never played a guitar with either the Baggs Or the Fishmann
I have played the Sunrise and it is a vary acceptable sound IMO

KevWind at Soundcloud
Old 02-17-2019, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

The Sunrise is an amazing pickup and a real industry standard when it comes to sound hole mag pickups. I use it with its dedicated SB1 preamp. Really brings the pickup to life. It handles strumming well and fingerpicking well and is very responsive to dynamics.
In comparison, the M80 has a coil that sense body vibrations and that makes it very good for percussive players. It is an all around good pickup but a bit thinner in tone than the Sunrise. It is a very good pickup and with simple eq, you can get excellent results. As Al said above, it is sensitive to body noise and that does not work for some folks.
The Fishman Rare Earth is the most magnetic sounding IMHO. That is not necessarily bad, just a factor. I think it sounds very good and cuts through a band mix very well. I carry one in my gear bag in case everything else fails. The fishman RE Blend takes it up a notch with the mic.
I have heard nothing but good about the DiMarzio Black Angel. It is most like the Sunrise and much easier to find and less expensive. You can't go wrong with any of these. It depends on your playing style.
I have had and used all except the Black Angel, so that is my experience with them.
davidc
Old 02-17-2019, 12:22 PM

Great comments, advice, and reviews. Thanks everyone. 😀
Old 02-17-2019, 12:30 PM

I use a M1A in my old Guild for small shows where Iím just using my Loudbox Mini and I like it quite a bit. It has a little more body and air than other mags Iíve heard. Itís a great one pickup solution. Hereís an imperfect test drive in my home.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtXIu4KH...=1cwfxs30p7mdr

The M80 is very similar it ďhearsĒ more low frequencies than the M1. In my experience, the M80 sounds better fingerpicked and the M1 is clearer when strummed. YMMV.

That said, there does seem to be something magical about the Sunrise when run though a good preamp and EQíd with deliberation. Iím always impressed by how acoustic it can sound and how much body is in the sound without being microphonic. There must be some design elements that function similarly to the M1 but more subtly.. The DiMarzio isnít as fat sounding (to me) as the Sunrise but has a very detailed tone and it clearly reads a ton of info from the strings. In my modest opinion, the Sunrise still seems better due to its low end but the DiMarzio is really cool. Both are at their best in a Dual Source configuration but I think the Sunrise sounds slightly better solo.
Yamaha LL16 w/Baggs Dual Source & Bob Colosi bone-saddle LB6
Radial Tonebone PZ Pre & PZ Deluxe
Baggs Para DI
Old 02-19-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

My two favorite mag pups are the Sunrise and
the Baggs M80. Like said above the m80 is
more prone to percussive hits. But the sound
of both is excellent.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:52 PM

A Sunrise with SB1 is a great sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification