The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:29 PM
Chickee's Avatar
Chickee Chickee is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I really like the American Elite Strat in fact it was what I had thought I was going to get as my first electric.
But ultimately I ended up with a PRS CE 24, which I realize is completely different.


Having lived with it for over two years I have decided it is a keeper..

So now if I decide I still want a 3 single coil guitar, I will try to be able to audition a Fender Elite Strat and a PRS Silver Sky at the same time
I can see this, KevWind. They(elite and sky) are both elegant guitars.
__________________
I love playing guitar
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:31 PM
Chickee's Avatar
Chickee Chickee is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
There's way too much wood in those huge headstocks
I much prefer the slimmer style, like on my hardtail Stratocaster
Bahahaha!!!!
__________________
I love playing guitar
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-12-2019, 02:41 PM
maxtheaxe maxtheaxe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: N. Oregon Coast
Posts: 910
Default

Funny about those headstocks...back in the late 70's early 80's, most of the Strats one ran across were the larger CBS-era heads; then a lot of custom builders such as Boogie-Body, Charvel, et al started making guitars with the "vintage-style" smaller headstocks. I remember being relieved because they felt so much more balanced and wieldy to me. Now they're putting out the large headstocks as a "vintage" feature again.

And so it goes...
__________________
Larrivee OM-40R
Larrivee L-10 Custom
Larrivee DV-10K
Larrivee L-03
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12
Breedlove Studio N250cre
PRS 'Studio' (10-top)
Rickenbacker 660-12 Mapleglo ('06)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Ibanez Artist AR 420
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-12-2019, 03:59 PM
Jaden Jaden is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
There's way too much wood in those huge headstocks
I much prefer the slimmer style, like on my hardtail Stratocaster
Nice to read your point of view. Welcome aboard!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-12-2019, 04:03 PM
muscmp muscmp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: socal
Posts: 8,128
Default

while the "extra" wood may mean a minimal amount of more weight, it is much more of a subjective looks thing.

play music!
__________________

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-12-2019, 04:17 PM
Jaden Jaden is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
while the "extra" wood may mean a minimal amount of more weight, it is much more of a subjective looks thing.

play music!
Agree. I find in appearance itís much more balanced (subjective). On the other hand there are some like Y Malmsteen who believe there is an increase in sustain, and Iím inclined to agree from experience with my Tele Deluxe.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-12-2019, 04:24 PM
muscmp muscmp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: socal
Posts: 8,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Agree. I find in appearance itís much more balanced (subjective). On the other hand there are some like Y Malmsteen who believe there is an increase in sustain, and Iím inclined to agree from experience with my Tele Deluxe.
some people used to attach brass to the headstock to increase sustain. they don't anymore so must not have worked or, added too much weight making it unbalanced.

play music!
__________________

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-12-2019, 04:38 PM
Jaden Jaden is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
some people used to attach brass to the headstock to increase sustain. they don't anymore so must not have worked or, added too much weight making it unbalanced.

play music!
Interesting. Neck dive would be a problem.

Iíve found it interesting in this subforum among electric guitarists the lack of discussion re the significance of neck wood and sustain.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:14 PM
ghostnote ghostnote is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 421
Default

I've had my American Standard Strat since '89, and it's still a beauty today. A nice Strat is a lifetime keeper, IMO. My other Strat was the real surprise, however, since it's MIM and has an HSS configuration: a Lone Star Strat. The two single coils are USA-made Texas Specials, and the humbucker in the bridge is a USA Pearly Gates. I bought it on a lark, and what a great guitar it turned out to be. Incredibly versatile and it plays and sounds great. I use it quite a bit more than my Am Std.
Based on this thread, I think I'm going to check out some of the new models.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:15 PM
Jaden Jaden is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
I've had my American Standard Strat since '89, and it's still a beauty today. A nice Strat is a lifetime keeper, IMO. My other Strat was the real surprise, however, since it's MIM and has an HSS configuration: a Lone Star Strat. The two single coils are USA-made Texas Specials, and the humbucker in the bridge is a USA Pearly Gates. I bought it on a lark, and what a great guitar it turned out to be. Incredibly versatile and it plays and sounds great. I use it quite a bit more than my Am Std.
Based on this thread, I think I'm going to check out some of the new models.
Let us know your impressions of the American Performer and the others if you can. Thatís great about your HSS Strat, must be a powerful and ultimately versatile axe!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:26 PM
bsman bsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
I've had my American Standard Strat since '89, and it's still a beauty today. A nice Strat is a lifetime keeper, IMO. My other Strat was the real surprise, however, since it's MIM and has an HSS configuration: a Lone Star Strat. The two single coils are USA-made Texas Specials, and the humbucker in the bridge is a USA Pearly Gates. I bought it on a lark, and what a great guitar it turned out to be. Incredibly versatile and it plays and sounds great. I use it quite a bit more than my Am Std.
Based on this thread, I think I'm going to check out some of the new models.
Your situation isnít too terribly different from mine - I have an MIM standard HSS and a new American Pro SSS - both with maple FBs. I really like them both - and I guess Iíll work out which more when Iím over the honeymoon period with the AmPro...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-12-2019, 11:03 PM
perttime perttime is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,515
Default

Headstocks: yep, appearances are subjective. One likes a blonde ... blondes are a dime a dozen where I live....

Neck wood and sustain: talking about Fender style guitars, you have a bolt-on maple neck. The main difference is how much maple there is. I could swear that my chunky necked partscaster sustains better than my slim(ish) necked Stratocaster - the old neck-through Ibanez (thin neck laminate with 3 pieces maple, 2 pieces walnut) probably sustains even better.

If more weight in the headstock is desirable, locking tuners are surely the only way to go
__________________
An acoustic, a couple of electrics, and a guitar-shaped-object
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:22 PM
Jaden Jaden is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Headstocks: yep, appearances are subjective. One likes a blonde ... blondes are a dime a dozen where I live....

Neck wood and sustain: talking about Fender style guitars, you have a bolt-on maple neck. The main difference is how much maple there is. I could swear that my chunky necked partscaster sustains better than my slim(ish) necked Stratocaster - the old neck-through Ibanez (thin neck laminate with 3 pieces maple, 2 pieces walnut) probably sustains even better.

If more weight in the headstock is desirable, locking tuners are surely the only way to go
Nice post. As good as my CV 50s Tele is, the chunkier neck on my Fender CSL 50s Tele provides even more sustain.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-16-2019, 08:53 PM
Davis Webb Davis Webb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,147
Default

The American Special, to me, is the best value for money in the electric world.
The tone from those pickups...very Eric Johnson.
__________________
Larrivee, Gibson, Ovation, Strat, Tele
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-17-2019, 08:06 AM
Guest 429
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
The American Special, to me, is the best value for money in the electric world.
The tone from those pickups...very Eric Johnson.
Post deleted.

Last edited by Guest 429; 04-01-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=