The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-09-2019, 08:51 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Interesting analysis of a popular electric guitar solo

This interesting video just popped up on my YouTube feed because I follow studio guitarist Tim Pierce:

That is an extremely interesting analysis of what I've felt on an intuitive level. I love that orchestrator Carl Ryland helps explain the levels that this solo works on.

Not to elevate myself at the expense of Tim, but his studio guitar recording model reminds me of mine (on a smaller scale). The difference is that he's made a living off of his and mine is just a joyful sideline extension of my engineering/producing work.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-09-2019, 03:58 PM

very interesting bob. maybe i can do this if i watch it 85 more times!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-10-2019, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Just got around to listen/watch it, last nite very interesting . Thanks for posting

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 02-10-2019, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

...loved that Bob...as much as I love that solo...the blistering outro solo on Roseanna is maybe my favorite electric solo of that era...also an iconic vid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmOLtTGvsbM

Last edited by J Patrick; 02-10-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:10 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...loved that Bob...as much as I love that solo...the blistering outro solo on Roseanna is maybe my favorite electric solo of that era...also an iconic vid...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmOLtTGvsbM
His guitar there was a real '59 Les Paul...l that he still has. Obviously it would be worth a mint at this point. He modified the crud out of it, replacing the electronics and hardware. Joe Bonamassa befriended Luke and has recently gone over the guitar top to bottom and restored it, replacing every single item that wasn't correct with proper period items to bring it back to stock, original shape. So now it IS worth a mint.

Bob

Old 02-10-2019, 03:50 PM

Thanks for sharing, Bob. Seems so simple, yet still so beyond me.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
This interesting video just popped up on my YouTube feed because I follow studio guitarist Tim Pierce:

That is an extremely interesting analysis of what I've felt on an intuitive level. I love that orchestrator Carl Ryland helps explain the levels that this solo works on.

Not to elevate myself at the expense of Tim, but his studio guitar recording model reminds me of mine (on a smaller scale). The difference is that he's made a living off of his and mine is just a joyful sideline extension of my engineering/producing work.

Bob

Wow great breakdown

Is that one of the pedal guys?
Old 02-13-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymopar View Post
Wow great breakdown

Is that one of the pedal guys?
the picture is steve lukather with his music man signature guitar.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-13-2019, 12:55 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymopar View Post
Wow great breakdown Is that one of the pedal guys?
The fellow doing the video about Luke's solo is Tim Pierce, one of the most active studio guitarists in Hollywood.

Bob

Old 02-13-2019, 01:15 PM

Lukather was/is so good. Played on more popular recordings than about anyone in the 80's. For what he was called in to do, he seemed to always deliver just what was needed. All of the guys from Toto were great studio players. And somehow they never got the recognition they deserved. In my opinion, that's because of the snobs who think anything commercially successful or too "polished" (which sometimes just means brilliantly executed) is then somehow a "sell out" and worth less?? Then I hear artists who the critics and music snobs adore and I just don't get it. Not always, but often is the case for me.

I just finished Lukather's biography. Pretty fun reading!

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page

Last edited by Stratcat77; 02-13-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
The fellow doing the video about Luke's solo is Tim Pierce, one of the most active studio guitarists in Hollywood.

Bob
I didn’t realize he was such a great musician

He has a you tube channel called the pedal show
It is the same guy

Wish I had his Skills!
Old 02-14-2019, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Was funny to watch that video, as I'm nearly finished with "The Gospel According to Luke", Lukather's autobiography...

I have to say... there is NO WAY that Steve was thinking about ANY OF THE STUFF those guys talked about when he did that solo... absolutely no way! He WAS that good at the time (probably still is), and he did so many iconic sessions through '77-'97 that it absolutely boggles the mind to consider how many recordings his playing is on...

Brilliant player, and Toto was a wonderful band that I never really loved... I knew all the guys were Steely Dan alumni, and I think I always expected "more" from the actual songs as far as lyrical statements... but you really couldn't do any better than Paich, the Porcaro family and Luke for band members!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 02-15-2019, 07:12 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I have to say... there is NO WAY that Steve was thinking about ANY OF THE STUFF those guys talked about when he did that solo... absolutely no way!
I can believe that. He strikes me in that time period as a guy who would play with the thought in his head, "If I play really cool, the chicks will like me!"

That's the interesting thing about theory: You could use it to describe all the interesting relationships that a composer brought into his work and you could be quite accurate because all that stuff does, in fact exist in the music. But there's that odd chance that if confronted with your analysis the composer might say, "Oh, I didn't know all that stuff. I just wrote a pretty melody that was in my head. I'm glad you like it, though."

Bob

Old 02-15-2019, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
" ... That's the interesting thing about theory: You could use it to describe all the interesting relationships that a composer brought into his work and you could be quite accurate because all that stuff does, in fact exist in the music. But there's that odd chance that if confronted with your analysis the composer might say, "Oh, I didn't know all that stuff. I just wrote a pretty melody that was in my head. I'm glad you like it, though."
Bob
I'm not so sure it's "the odd chance" ... I think that as often as not, we analyze the works of some of the greats and, as you say, break it down into its theoretical components for the sake of analysis and comprehension; but in actuality, those pieces are the natural outpouring of the feel and finesse that separated those folks to the level of 'great' in the first place.

~ Paul

Old 02-15-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I can believe that. He strikes me in that time period as a guy who would play with the thought in his head, "If I play really cool, the chicks will like me!"
I just read the Luke autobiography. There's little doubt he was a strong colorful personality. And of course, it's always a matter of personal taste, but I think he was a brilliant player. In return, I'm sure he had some female fans!

It just kills me how Toto gets written off as shallow. Perhaps they weren't great poets, but I've always been more into the musician side than deep lyrical statements. They played on critically acclaimed recordings like Boz Skaggs. But as a group, they always get written off.

Check out this assessment of the recording...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLoh8zHjGUI

It's hard for me to believe that any musician doesn't think this was a great song!

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars