The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-06-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
So, for you guys who are playing/enjoying nylon, tell us a bit about what draws you to that.
Hello Jim,
I think part of what I like is the feel and tonal difference between finger picking and digging in with a pick (I use thin picks on acoustics) on nylon. I also have thin lanky finger, so the flatter radius and slightly wider string spacing feels really nice to me.

There is something about the sound on nylon strings when soloing and the nuance between that staccato sound and feel of the strings and neck. I love the same thing about steel string guitars but the nylon strings feel different with their own larger string diameter that I really enjoy when "noodlin'" around with and without a pick.

I have a really cool 6-string nylon Amicus that Alister made for me a couple of years ago that is really, really fund to play. It has a slightly shorter Amicus scale length and is tuned up a full octave from regular guitar. I actually spent some time trying different types of special soprano nylon strings to get a great feel, which is one of my favorite nylon guitars to play.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

I basically had the same experience as Jim did about one and a half years ago. I played a lot of nylons. I liked them, especially the Rainsong PA, but it seemed to me that there was technique involved that I hadn't learned yet. A few songs sounded good, but most not so great. I'd still like to have one, but I'm not sure if i want one bad enough to spend $1k plus. It's about time to move a few guitars out, so it may be time to pay my rental fees and check out a nylon. Some good info in these posts....thanks.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubh1805 View Post
Hello Jim,

I have a really cool 6-string nylon Amicus that Alister made for me a couple of years ago that is really, really fund to play. It has a slightly shorter Amicus scale length and is tuned up a full octave from regular guitar. I actually spent some time trying different types of special soprano nylon strings to get a great feel, which is one of my favorite nylon guitars to play.
Now here be something where a photo or 10 would be oh so cool to see.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-07-2019, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
To find out whether or not you like playing and / or gigging with a nylon string guitar, a good start would be a used (or B stock) Cordoba Fusion - if you want a fretboard with a radius, or a used Cordoba (or B stock) GK Studio - if you want a flat fretboard. Both models both come equipped with decent electronics. For the price range (less than $500 used) both of those guitars look nice, and play nice, and sound nice both acoustically and plugged in. Both models have tighter string spacing than a standard "classical" guitar.

Nylon strings feel and sound different than steel strings, so give yourself some time, maybe 6 months, to get comfortable enough to decide if playing a nylon string guitar for gigs is the route that you want to go. If you like the feel of nylon strings, especially if they are significantly easier on your fingers, but prefer the sound of steel strings, there are plenty of electronics that can be used to get more of a steel string sound out of a nylon string guitar.

I have a Cordoba GK Pro, and I love it!
More excellent advice! Thanks, Tom!

This thread (as usual) is turning into an excellent resource of information about a topic generally not explored! Love AGF!!
Old 02-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Guest 928

I 2nd the fusion recommendation.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

I tried a couple Fusions and a GK Studio. Kinda "meh"... I guess I am not ready to add a nylon string guitar.

Some may remember my experiment with putting nylon strings on my X7... I would consider that a miserable failure. Probably not fair putting nylon strings on a guitar made for steel strings, but I thought it would give me a preview of what to expect. What I didn't expect: tone that sounded dull and strings that were still stretching a week later.

This may be one of those things that I can admire while watching/listening to others who do it well. I have also resigned myself that my NBA hopes probably won't happen either.

My lovely wife has been very encouraging with this journey of discovery, to the point of suggesting some guitars she found (on-line search) at other guitar shops.

With all the discussions here about nylon, I wondered what I might be missing... after a serious look-around, I am quite content with my steel string guitars; no FOMO.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
....Probably not fair putting nylon strings on a guitar made for steel strings, but I thought it would give me a preview of what to expect. What I didn't expect: tone that sounded dull and strings that were still stretching a week later......
Be it far from my intentions to try to talk you either into or out-of nylon-string guitars, but......putting nylon strings on a steel-string-designed instrument is highly likely to yield the very same unsatisfying results you experienced.

Or you truly want to give nylon a go, you should get a proper nylon-string guitar......or just stay with steel-strings.....whatever you choose.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
Be it far from my intentions to try to talk you either into or out-of nylon-string guitars, but......putting nylon strings on a steel-string-designed instrument is highly likely to yield the very same unsatisfying results you experienced.

Or you truly want to give nylon a go, you should get a proper nylon-string guitar......or just stay with steel-strings.....whatever you choose.
Hey, Paul. I have been trying a variety of nylon string guitars in the last week or so; truly the first time I have put in the time to hit up some guitar shops to give that a try. Like you, it hasn't been my intention to try to talk anyone into or out of any guitar choice.

Simply relating my experiences and thinking out loud. Did I buy a nylon string guitar and try it for 6 months to give it a fair shake? Nope. And it is certainly not my intent to be negative about the whole nylon thing. I have enough years in that I know what I like... but, I do try to be open about trying new things, especially when spurred on by discussion here. I didn't make the decision about nylon based on my bad experience of putting nylon strings on a guitar made for steel strings... just trying to relate my journey. In the past week, I have spent more time in guitar shops than I have in the last 5 or 6 years combined. Frankly, I wasn't looking for a big dollar nylon, so that obviously plays a part, too. The best sounding nylon guitar I played was a Taylor 312ce-n... but, I'm not looking to spend that much. I played it (after my wife brought it over to me) to get some comparison.

For some perspective, I helped my daughter pick out a couple steel string guitars that she will be letting her middle school students use, and for less than $300 she got two decent sounding/playing guitars. Just comparing options.

I hope I didn't offend anyone by saying the nylon string guitars aren't for me. I don't want to dissuade anyone from finding what works best for them.

My buddy Evan keeps talking about how much he enjoys his "nylon journey" (my words, not his), and I wanted to see what it was all about. I woudn't try to talk him into steel strings, either. Scott (who started this thread) and I seem to have similar tastes in guitars and amplification - I was curious. And now: curiosity satisfied.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:14 PM
Guest 928

Jim;

We are very similar in our thinking. Occasionally I dart in and give a steel string a run, nope, just doesn't work for me. What works for both of us is guitars, the choice of which guitar is up for grabs. It's nice having options.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:22 PM

Captain,

All good here.....no offense taken on my end. I just chimed in because I play both steel-string (a bit) as well as nylon-string (mainly) these days, and I have tried the very same mismatch string experiment....learned by experience.

Steel or nylon-string......I always simply suggest that people should play that which feels right to them. It would be a boring world if we all liked exactly the same things!

Now then....let's discuss your up-coming NBA draft......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber