The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-01-2019, 05:43 PM

Default 2019 build

I only build one guitar a year, as it is a hobby I enjoy puttering at. Here is this year's effort.
It is based on a 12 fret Martin Slothead with scalloped bracing:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1qjki0r7e/
Old 02-02-2019, 03:33 AM

Nice work, very nice indeed, and I am particularly impressed by your pyramid bridge. That is exactly what a pyramid bridge should look like.

I assume you don't mind if I repost the pic of the bridge up here.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:46 PM

[QUOTE=murrmac123;5967580]Nice work, very nice indeed, and I am particularly impressed by your pyramid bridge. That is exactly what a pyramid bridge should look like.

Thank you for the very nice comments!

BTW, I used your nut rocker tool to slot the nut. It makes it effortless to get the slots to the perfect depth!
Mike
Old 02-04-2019, 06:58 AM

Great looking guitar. Love the slotted headstock
Old 02-07-2019, 01:12 PM

Thank you Jcamp!
Old 02-07-2019, 04:15 PM

[QUOTE=Imbler;5967962]
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
BTW, I used your nut rocker tool to slot the nut. It makes it effortless to get the slots to the perfect depth!
Mike
Cheers Mike, glad you found it useful, IMO it's an indispensable tool ... leastways for me it is.

It would, I am sure, be of interest to many if you would talk us through how you made the bridge ... did you use an overhead router ?

If perchance you didn't make the bridge yourself, then please let slip who did make it for you. I definitely want to buy one exactly like that.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:54 PM

[QUOTE=murrmac123;5973003]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbler View Post

Cheers Mike, glad you found it useful, IMO it's an indispensable tool ... leastways for me it is.

It would, I am sure, be of interest to many if you would talk us through how you made the bridge ... did you use an overhead router ?

If perchance you didn't make the bridge yourself, then please let slip who did make it for you. I definitely want to buy one exactly like that.
I agree, it is now a tool I wouldn't slot a nut without using it - talk about fool proof!

Anyway I programmed that bridge for a little hobby CNC I have that drives a laminate trimmer (small router). I use a .125 diameter ball tip router bit for most of it with a small offset path. It takes some careful sanding with sandpaper glued to a small stick to smooth out the tool marks while keeping it crisp.
Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair