The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-01-2019, 03:23 PM

Default Lucky Break

I just realized I have an instructor and a music shop right through the field from me. Less than a quarter of a mile. I took my Epiphone Les Paul Special-II over to him today and he tuned it for me. Told me he gives lessons as well. Seems like a good guy. Told me once I get the guitar tweaked (strings lowered, new strings perhaps, neck straightened) it would probably play a little better/easier.

His comment was that his lesson would help me be able to do the things necessary to play the guitar better and not just teach chords, songs, etc. Sound like the way to go?

He also has a lot of guitars at his home/store. I bought a Snark tuner while I was there too. And he told me to bring my Fender Mustang I amp over and he would show me everything I needed to know about it.

Funny, I had drove past the place a thousand times but it just never dawned on me to go to him initially.

r/Mike
Old 02-01-2019, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

That’s great Mike! It’s funny how things that aren’t in our “focus” seem to get overlooked. No different with cars, motorcycles, or other items. Seems every time I buy a new car, or motorcycle I notice all the others “like mine”. And I then seem to see all of the “shops” or dealers I’d never paid attention to in the past.

What the gentlemen told you was absolutely true. Seems to be the way to go!
Old 02-02-2019, 04:09 AM

You can find lessons or see songs to play on youtube, but you need to get the basics down first. A good teacher can help you understand with hands on instruction. I would go for it, it can only help you.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:09 AM

Quite often those little shops get overlooked. Do you know what you want for lessons, i.e. do you want to learn rock, country, acoustic, jazz, etc? You need to get the basics down first but make sure that your teacher is willing to teach/guide you down a path you want to go down.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:14 AM

go for it! sounds like this is the person who can setup the guitar and show you how to play it. nothing like having a personal teacher!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-02-2019, 11:24 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Congrats! I call that phenomenon "lost in the foreground." Sometimes we miss things that are right under our noses because we are focused in the distance.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-06-2019, 08:12 PM

That's great! It's also very cool that he will teach you about set up and other stuff like you mentioned - necessary things in addition to chords, songs, etc.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars