The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2011, 11:05 AM

Default WD40 and lubricating a nut

Hey guys -

I know about various graphite based things you can buy, as well as pencil "lead" to lubricate a nut on a guitar. But is there any reason to buy some of those speciality things as opposed to using a drop of WD40 in each nut slot? (I'm not talking "spraying it on anything...where it might be potentially bad for a finish...just a drop (or less) in each nut slot.) I tried it on a beater and it seemed to work well...but maybe there is a reason not to use it on my better guitar? What do you think? By the way I use it to stop the occassional ping noice when tuning up and seemed to work great. It didn't cost me anything (because I already had a can of it) and shows no evidence or residue of being there...unike pencil "lead".
Old 05-04-2011, 11:13 AM

WD 40 is not in fact a lubricant. It's a "water displacement" product. Although it has an oily substance when first applied, that substance evaporates quickly, leaving no lubricant behind.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
Hey guys -

I know about various graphite based things you can buy, as well as pencil "lead" to lubricate a nut on a guitar. But is there any reason to buy some of those speciality things as opposed to using a drop of WD40 in each nut slot? (I'm not talking "spraying it on anything...where it might be potentially bad for a finish...just a drop (or less) in each nut slot.) I tried it on a beater and it seemed to work well...but maybe there is a reason not to use it on my better guitar? What do you think? By the way I use it to stop the occassional ping noice when tuning up and seemed to work great. It didn't cost me anything (because I already had a can of it) and shows no evidence or residue of being there...unike pencil "lead".
Hi drs…
I think have the nut slot properly cut/adjusted. It will serve you better in the long run.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-04-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi drs…
I think have the nut slot properly cut/adjusted. It will serve you better in the long run.

what he said...

this will remove the "ping" when you tune
Old 05-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Me

Remember what WD40 stands for.
WD = Water Dispersion
40 = IQ of anyone using it on their guitar.

(DRS - This is an old joke that originally was directed at bicycle owners using it on their chain. I hope that this joke does not offend you.)
Old 05-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

i suspect that wd40 isn't very good for guitar finishes. even if none drips onto the finish, you will over time probably get some on your fingers. probably better to use graphite or best to get the slots cut correctly.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:39 PM

It's a bad idea to use it on a guitar nut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachi View Post
WD 40 is not in fact a lubricant. It's a "water displacement" product. Although it has an oily substance when first applied, that substance evaporates quickly, leaving no lubricant behind.

Not exactly true. WD40 is a water displacement product and a lubricant.

It does not evaporate quickly - it sticks to parts and protects them from water. I use it often at work.

Here is the info on their website:
What does WD-40 do?

WD-40 fulfills five basic functions:
1. CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape and excess bonding material.
2. DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
3. PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
4. LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and tenaciously held to all moving parts.
5. PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:06 PM
*mahoganut*

This product is very good - white graphite - use a toothpick to place a minute spec on the nut, and wipe any excess off.

Pricey for the teensy bottle, but one bottle will last years.

Phil

http://www.amazon.com/GHS-A94-Graphi...4543777&sr=8-1
Old 05-04-2011, 03:12 PM

Just to add my voice to the swelling chorus of singing chipmunk harmonies:

"Using WD-40 on a guitar nut to avoid paying for a $4.50 container of graphite lubricant is an example of being pennywise and pound foolish."

If you can't hear them singing that, try adjusting the volume control on your computer. And, yes, that's a musically awkward phrase to have to sing, but somehow they make it work....

Seriously, there's no good reason to use WD-40 in this instance and lots of good reasons not to. I won't pummel you with them here, as they've already been explained perfectly well by others in this thread, but Larry's suggestion to get the nut slots recut if needed is what you should do first. Then use graphite if the problems persist.

One last thought to leave you with:

WD-40 + guitars = bad idea.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-04-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arie View Post
this will remove the "ping" when you tune
Can that ping sound when tuning also come from slippage of the string ball against a bridge pin? I never realized that sound could an from an improperly cut nut.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan1 View Post
Can that ping sound when tuning also come from slippage of the string ball against a bridge pin? I never realized that sound could an from an improperly cut nut.
Normally when you hear a ping like that it's quite directional, and you can tell exactly where it came from. And while I've heard plenty of string ball ends slip position at the bridge, I've never heard one make a "ping" when it did so.

whm
Old 05-04-2011, 05:11 PM

Thanks everybody...I get the message! I knew y'all would set me straight.

Many Thanks...DRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Just to add my voice to the swelling chorus of singing chipmunk harmonies:

"Using WD-40 on a guitar nut to avoid paying for a $4.50 container of graphite lubricant is an example of being pennywise and pound foolish."

If you can't hear them singing that, try adjusting the volume control on your computer. And, yes, that's a musically awkward phrase to have to sing, but somehow they make it work....

Seriously, there's no good reason to use WD-40 in this instance and lots of good reasons not to. I won't pummel you with them here, as they've already been explained perfectly well by others in this thread, but Larry's suggestion to get the nut slots recut if needed is what you should do first. Then use graphite if the problems persist.

One last thought to leave you with:

WD-40 + guitars = bad idea.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-04-2011, 05:50 PM

its white so you cant see it. works great. Ive had same tube for 6 years

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/GRPA94.htm

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫

Last edited by Fngrstyl; 05-04-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:55 PM

Graphite, i.e., #2 pencil lead, works very well. Perhaps cleaning up the nut slot with some 400 or 600 wet/dry paper may work also.

WD40 is primarily fish oil and I suppose it would work. But, it still doesn't address the main problem...being that the slot isn't quite wide enough to accommodate the string. In my experience over the last 50 years, this primarily happens with the G string.

So you have two choices...use graphite from a #2 pencil or carefully use 400 or 600 wet/dry sandpaper to smooth the slot.

For me, the #2 pencil always works and I don't have to worry about messing up the angle or depth of the nut slot.
2008 Martin OM28V
Old 05-04-2011, 06:59 PM

WD-40 is most definitely a penetrating lubricant and for that reason we emphasize to our officers NOT to use WD-40 on their guns in any way, shape, or form. It can seep into the primers of the ammo and render it useless.
Alvarez RD20S12
Fender Telecaster
Ibanez AG-75
Martin 000X1AE
Cort Earth 70DE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion