The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:32 AM
VTexan VTexan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kraus View Post
These days especially, it would be nice to get away from the constant political arguments, I can see that.
I am actually working on THESE DAYS right now, trying to get his finger style on this song down. It's quite excellent.
__________________
2018 Taylor GS Mini
2012 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-10-2019, 05:31 PM
rokdog49 rokdog49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 8,027
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
You probably don’t like Steve Earle, Bob Dylan, David Crosby, Pete Seeger (RIP), etc., either.

Personally, I’m glad for Brown’s — and others’ — message 50 years ago and reminders now.
I think that's great. I do like all those guys and more, as long as they just play their music.
Call me cynical but to me the rest is "been there, done that, got the t-shirt,
moved on."
__________________
Three is enough for me.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Eastman E10 00 Sunburst
And a Copperburst Tele
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:09 AM
architype architype is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,606
Default

I saw JB about 4 yrs ago, (also saw him in the early 80's with full band), and he was touring with Sarah Watkins and her brother Shawn. He came out and sang harmony on a couple of her songs and Sarah and Shawn came out and supported him on a few of his songs.
One of the best concerts I've ever attended.

He has a casual style and doesn't appear to have a fixed set list. He even takes requests as long as the audience doesn't get too obnoxious. The concerts are intimate and you feel like you are listening to him play in your living room.


He didn't get political or preachy. I think most people that come to hear him know his political stance, and most people that have followed his career as dedicated fans probably align pretty closely with those same views.


He is one of the best singer/songwriters of the last 50 years. He is also an underrated guitar player. His songs tend to be introspective, so if your looking for a dance party you'll be disappointed.
__________________
1990 Alvarez Yairi DY-77
2009 Taylor 414ce ltd. Taz. Black
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-11-2019, 01:18 PM
gr81dorn gr81dorn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
I saw JB about 4 yrs ago, (also saw him in the early 80's with full band), and he was touring with Sarah Watkins and her brother Shawn. He came out and sang harmony on a couple of her songs and Sarah and Shawn came out and supported him on a few of his songs.
One of the best concerts I've ever attended.

He has a casual style and doesn't appear to have a fixed set list. He even takes requests as long as the audience doesn't get too obnoxious. The concerts are intimate and you feel like you are listening to him play in your living room.


He didn't get political or preachy. I think most people that come to hear him know his political stance, and most people that have followed his career as dedicated fans probably align pretty closely with those same views.


He is one of the best singer/songwriters of the last 50 years. He is also an underrated guitar player. His songs tend to be introspective, so if your looking for a dance party you'll be disappointed.
That was JB at his absolute best. That tour was the second time I had seen him and it was the far better of the two shows.

I don't recall him saying almost anything that could even be remotely viewed as incendiary or political. He was/is super dry and self-depricating and he tells some funny little stories, but, even knowing his lefty-lean, I don't really think I noticed him being overt in the least bit.

That tour with Sara and Sean and Val McCallum on lead guitar was an incredible show because of the sheer talent (don't know the rhythm section, but they were impeccable too).

I was lucky and got to go hang out with Jackson and the others after the show for like 2 hours. Val was pretty funny about how there is no set list and they would often do these huge rehearsals during soundcheck to play a bunch of stuff cuz JB just kinda wants to get a feel so he knows what might be good to pull out. But, as he's known to do with his large library, he also let us shout stuff at him all night and he'd go "oh, yeah...I have the guitar for that." then he'd walk to this rack of about 30 guitars, pick one out and come sit down and bust into the song. It was the furthest thing from boring as a fan of his and a fan of guitar.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:29 PM
Bill Kraus Bill Kraus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: western new york
Posts: 214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
I am actually working on THESE DAYS right now, trying to get his finger style on this song down. It's quite excellent.
Yep, great song, one of my favorites!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:53 PM
VTexan VTexan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 552
Default Yep

He knows his way around finger style, that's for sure.
__________________
2018 Taylor GS Mini
2012 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-18-2019, 07:55 PM
slooky slooky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
That was JB at his absolute best. That tour was the second time I had seen him and it was the far better of the two shows.

I don't recall him saying almost anything that could even be remotely viewed as incendiary or political. He was/is super dry and self-depricating and he tells some funny little stories, but, even knowing his lefty-lean, I don't really think I noticed him being overt in the least bit.

That tour with Sara and Sean and Val McCallum on lead guitar was an incredible show because of the sheer talent (don't know the rhythm section, but they were impeccable too).

I was lucky and got to go hang out with Jackson and the others after the show for like 2 hours. Val was pretty funny about how there is no set list and they would often do these huge rehearsals during soundcheck to play a bunch of stuff cuz JB just kinda wants to get a feel so he knows what might be good to pull out. But, as he's known to do with his large library, he also let us shout stuff at him all night and he'd go "oh, yeah...I have the guitar for that." then he'd walk to this rack of about 30 guitars, pick one out and come sit down and bust into the song. It was the furthest thing from boring as a fan of his and a fan of guitar.
Saw that tour as well, actually the only time I have ever seen JB, I thought it was fantastic.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-19-2019, 04:22 PM
J Patrick J Patrick is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,616
Default

..fwiw..i’ve seen JB 3 times...1st time he was touring The Road...DAR Hall in D.C.....last time was on a triple bill with Keb Mo and Steve Earle more than a decade ago at the Cuthbert in Eugene OR....he never offered up political rhetoric during his performances....may be he is more outspoken these days...I dunno...I do know that few people express their ideals and personal feelings in song better than he does....i met him once...friendly guy...
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-19-2019, 08:51 PM
jpd's Avatar
jpd jpd is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,256
Default Hmmmmmm.....

Ah yes....bring back the "Golden Bear" on highway one......
__________________
2012 Martin custom 0-15
2012 H&D CrossRoads
2017 Alvare Delta-00
2018 Martin 00-28
Plus a few others, a couple of keyboards, and assorted compulsive purchases

"When the stars line up, magic happens"
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-19-2019, 11:07 PM
Bluesdale Bluesdale is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado Rockies
Posts: 141
Default

I've seen him a number of times and always look for the chance. His tone and songwriting are superb, he surrounds himself with some stellar players. You may have to put up with a politically motivated comment here and there but it's minimal and not the focus of his show. He's just passionate about his feelings on that stuff.

You don't have to agree with what he says. I'm just appreciative that we live in a country where everyone can say whatever they want w/o getting shot. Unfortunately some of his songs about the world as it was in the '70's and '80's are still relevant. But here is a new one about what he's feeling now with his current band. The second link shows what the song is really about. I need the sub-titles. I get the idea he's not really into Trump's wall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXzyU80DqFY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApgUvSGZHQ0
__________________
McAlister C Adi/Brazilian
GIBSON Jackson Browne Model A
GIBSON R. Ferguson ARCHETYPE J-45 Zebrawood 6/12
GIBSON 1956 LG-1
MARTIN M-30 JORMA 1932 Shaded top
MARTIN 1970 D-28
MARTIN 2009 000-28ECM Sunburst #444
MARTIN HJ-38 Stefan Grossman
Composite Acoustics Cargo

and...

Last edited by Bluesdale; 02-20-2019 at 12:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-24-2019, 12:57 PM
KenL KenL is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: High Rockies
Posts: 1,402
Default

I first saw JB in 1975 or so. It might have been my first concert. Great show, and Phoebe Snow opened ("Poetry Man" was a big hit at the time).

I've seen him 7-8 times since, with his various bands and several times solo; either way is fine with me, I've always enjoyed them and don't remember him pontificating at all.

I saw him in KC about a month before the previous administration was elected the first time, and I feared that he might get political. But, other than one comment towards the end, he did not. It was fine.

He is engaged in many causes around the world, and supports those causes with his music and, I presume, his checkbook.

I got to talk to him backstage one night and he couldn't have been nicer. Low key and not the least bit impressed with himself. I told him about seeing him (at the same venue) way back in '75 and he got a kick out of that. At one point I looked at my watch and told him he was on in 3 minutes; he laughed, shook my hand, and ran off. Put on a heck of a good show that night, no politics at all. And his manager found us after the show and gave us a 8x10" tour glossy that was signed to my wife and myself which is hanging on the wall right behind me as I type this.

It's nice when artists you respect turn out to be good people. I've been around several who are complete jerks. JB is the complete pro, and a good guy. Darn good guitar player too.

I wish he'd come and play Red Rocks, I'd be there for sure. Saw him there a few years ago and it's the perfect venue for him.
__________________
KenL

1974 Alvarez 5023
1976 Alvarez-Yairi DY-74
1981 Alvarez-Yairi DY-57
1981 Guild D-46
2004 Martin 00-18V
Homemade Telecaster
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-24-2019, 03:26 PM
Bluesdale Bluesdale is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado Rockies
Posts: 141
Default

KenL,
I may have been at that same show in 1975 at the gym at Regis College. Are you from Denver? You mentioned Red Rocks so I thought maybe so. Keep your eyes and ears open b/c I've seen him there several times including last summer. He usually hits it every other year and I believe it to be one of his favorite venues.

I too got to meet him once backstage at Rocky Mountain Folks fest and he couldn't have been more humble and nice. Even when you get him talking about his guitar collection he drags around on tour. It's quite impressive.
__________________
McAlister C Adi/Brazilian
GIBSON Jackson Browne Model A
GIBSON R. Ferguson ARCHETYPE J-45 Zebrawood 6/12
GIBSON 1956 LG-1
MARTIN M-30 JORMA 1932 Shaded top
MARTIN 1970 D-28
MARTIN 2009 000-28ECM Sunburst #444
MARTIN HJ-38 Stefan Grossman
Composite Acoustics Cargo

and...
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-25-2019, 04:19 AM
KenL KenL is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: High Rockies
Posts: 1,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesdale View Post
KenL,
I may have been at that same show in 1975 at the gym at Regis College. Are you from Denver? You mentioned Red Rocks so I thought maybe so. Keep your eyes and ears open b/c I've seen him there several times including last summer. He usually hits it every other year and I believe it to be one of his favorite venues.

I too got to meet him once backstage at Rocky Mountain Folks fest and he couldn't have been more humble and nice. Even when you get him talking about his guitar collection he drags around on tour. It's quite impressive.
Hi, Bluesdale,

Not the same venue in '75, but quite possibly the same tour. I grew up in the Omaha area, and have seen JB at the Music Hall and also at the Civic Auditorium when he did his big "Road and the Sky" tour. Also saw him at Pioneers Park in Lincoln on a hot and sultry summer's evening. More recently I've seen him a couple times at the Orpheum Theater in Omaha, which is a fantastic old theater.

As for Red Rocks, it was a few years back when he toured with just himself and David Lindley. Pretty cool show, but I'm afraid I was very tired from driving in from Omaha and kept dozing off (don't tell Mr. Browne!).

I now live about 2 hours west of Colorado Springs outside the little mountain town of BV. Elevation 8500 ft.

I'll have to check out this Rocky Mountain Folk Fest, don't know about that.
__________________
KenL

1974 Alvarez 5023
1976 Alvarez-Yairi DY-74
1981 Alvarez-Yairi DY-57
1981 Guild D-46
2004 Martin 00-18V
Homemade Telecaster
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=