The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-19-2019, 09:43 PM

Default Too cold? Outdoor gigs

What is the lowest temperature you'd be willing to take nice guitars (Gibson, Martin, etc.) to an outdoor gig without worrying about damage to the wood or finish? Assuming enough time for temperature acclimation.

I remember one time I was playing outside by myself for most of an afternoon, and the temperature got down to 55 Fahrenheit without causing the guitar any issues. It was sunny and I felt fine, except for slight finger stiffness. Today I played an outdoor gig when the temperature was 50 F and drizzling (I was under a tent). I only brought a ukulele (no nitro finish to worry about) and the wood was fine but it felt so cold that at times I had trouble holding the uke steady.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:49 PM

You may want to move this into the General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (or maybe it will get moved?). Might get more responses there.

For me, I play fingerstyle on a nylon string guitar. So my playing degrades when it's in the 50's outdoors. I don't think my fingers could operate in the 40's. So my playing is the biggest factor, not so much the guitar finish.

Most of the "cracks" that have developed on my guitars I attribute to playing in extreme warm weather.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:16 PM

I practice with an all solid wood Martin. I play out with a cheaper Martin that has a Stratabond neck and an HPL body. The both have the same Schertler AG-6/S-mic pickup and sound about the same amplified (though the all solid sounds quite a bit better unamplified). It’s not just protection against significant temperature damage. I think the Stratabond and HPL have less problem with tuning after coming in from a hot or cold car.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:48 PM

Hard to believe, but I saw a guy at a ski resort today playing a ‘66 Martin D-28 outside.

Temp was 27 degrees F. The guitar looked fine.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:49 PM

It is never too cold for a Carbon Fiber guitar! Great guitars for gigging in any weather.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-20-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Like my buddy BT55, I am all about the carbon fiber guitars... they can handle more than I can. Into the 50s is too cold for my hands; a non-issue for my Emerald guitars.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:49 AM

I remember playing for a Winterama festival in my hometown in the middle of winter. I don't remember exactly what the temp was but most likely in the -18C range. It was so cold that my fiddle player would play a few notes and you could literally hear the strings de-tuning.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:40 PM

If I need more than a light sweatshirt it's too cold.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:00 PM

I've played in 40 degrees with the Sun brightly shining. Felt like 65 degrees. I played once outdoors after dark and the temps at 50 and dropping and I won't do it again.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

If it's too cold for me to be outside for any length of time, then my guitars and equipment aren't going to like it, either...

That's pretty much my rule of thumb...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-20-2019, 04:27 PM

Carbon fiber for sure. No worries in the cold, in the heat, low humidity, or high humidity, indoors or outside. Maybe not as traditional-looking as a wooden instrument, but way more practical in anything less than ideal conditions and my Rainsong and Emerald have excellent tone, even if different in character from my Martins and Gibson made of wood.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

I played an outdoor patio gig last night with my Martin 00-17A. Temps hit a little below 50f and the guitar was fine. As for people that wanted to sit outside and listen in the cold, that is a different story.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:01 AM

For cold temperatures I just plug my Traveler Guitar Ultra Light into my Bose S1 Pro.

https://travelerguitar.com/products/...acoustic-maple

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification