The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-22-2015, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

I have A set of copper finish/snakewood button GrandTunes them on one of my guitars from Bruce. They look and work great!

I think Bruce uses them because he likes the "S"!
Old 03-24-2016, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
AFAIK, ther are no open back tuners with that construction. For many of my customers, enclosed tuners are not an option.
Gotoh recently came out with an open back tuner that does have a screw in ferrule. Might be just the ticket for some. http://www.g-gotoh.com/international...product=sxn510
Old 03-24-2016, 11:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Those Gotoh tuners look like a good idea to me. Apparently, however, they rattle or something judging by this line in their advertising copy: "The improved performance and durability which the SX510 series provides, thanks to GOTOH’s unique design and manufacturing, gives you the chance to experience a sound you’ve never heard before."
Old 03-24-2016, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Grand tuners

I've liked almost every tuner I have had in the last 30-40 years. Probably because my first tuners were so awful, that anything was an improvement. An easy act to follow. The Shaller Grand Tuners are among my favorites, easy to use, accurate, and they hold well. They also were a good appearance choice in my case. But I didn't choose them specifically, but happily took whatever came with the guitar, perfectly happy that Bruce picked them.

Kinnaird 000 Adk/Ziracote
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Leach "Arctos" OM Millenium Sequioa/Macassar Ebony
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
McAlister baritone Adk/Bubinga
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
'31 National Duolian
banjos of all kinds, mandolin, autoharp, tiple...
Old 10-28-2016, 02:36 PM

Default Schallar Grand Tune

Love them. I have two Martin Custom shop guitars that came with cheap Martin open back tuners (Grover). (D-28 Cocobolo Adirondack Hide Glue, and Om-28 Guatemalan Rosewood, VTS Adirondack top, 2 of the best guitars I've ever owned). I opted for these because they are being used on Custom shop guitars and IMHO are smoother and easier to turn than Waverly tuners.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:44 PM

What is the best machine head for Waverly style replacements? Is the Rogers really the best (with no specs on ratios) or is the Schaller the best or is the good old Waverly the best you can get in this style?

I'm using Waverly tuners now on my Martin OM but the Gotoh 510s on my Taylors really seem to be a better tuner to me. Of course, the Gotohs will not fit on my braz Martin and I am not drilling new holes that is for sure! The Waverlys have a sort of overly tight feeling. In my mind it is the tuning ratio being better in the Gotohs. Although I recognize the fine craftsmanship of the Waverly's.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

no traffic on this for a while...

has anybody been using the latest versions of these tuners? I am wondering if I should spec them on my upcoming McKnight build
2008 McKnight "MiniMac" Coco/Adi #97
2012 Taylor GACE Custom 12 All Figured Walnut
2012 Martin D-15M "Yuengling Special" #1 of 7
2018 Martin D-18E Retro
2020 Pre*War HD Commissioned
2021 McKnight "Sonic Boom Guitar Project" Commissioned
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have used them on a few guitars, no issues and I really like the look of the vintage copper ones. They are not as smooth as a sealed gotoh 510, and the ratio is lower, but I think they are up there with the waverly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair