The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-18-2019, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
.....getting rid of all your wood acoustics. That's just crazy talk
I'm not quite there yet - but seriously thinking that way. I've got 3 inexpensive acoustics, and this pesky Martin. The cheapos are on the block.

One, a Gretsch 'Way Out West' will go to my daughter-in-law when she has space for it.

The next, an inexpensive Applause which I bought a couple of years ago as my Minnesota winter guitar (a role it fulfilled admirably) is currently up for sale locally. Simply not needed any more, now I have the X20.

Then there's a Washburn Jumbo which I've had for 15 years or so. Bought it when my Martin was in the shop for some refurbishment. It's a brilliant sounding and playing guitar - with a crack in the top from under-humidification, which I never got fixed. That makes selling it a challenge, even though it's been stable for those 15 years. Maybe another donation candidate.

And then, there's the Martin...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-18-2019, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
The X7 is the perfect companion guitar to the X20. It gives you that 'small, grab and go anywhere' size but with a much bigger tone. With some EQ and notching it can also fill in as a backup/alternate gigging guitar. I love both of mine so much that my 'lifetime Martin' is being sold. Oh, and I'm considering another X10 custom build.
For my purposes, the earlier version of the X7 was the perfect companion to the X20. The current generation of the X7 may or may not be, depending on your likes and dislikes. In my case, the new X7 is very possibly a replacement for the X20. I love the new X7 so much it's all I ever reach for anymore. I'm gonna spend some more time with both of them, but the X20 may well be for sale in the coming months. The X7 has so much of the X20s sound in a smaller package and I haven't found a downside to the short scale other than the almost non-existant times when I want to stick a capo up around the 5th fret or higher.

I'd never try to talk anyone out of buying an X7, but on occasion, purchases like that can have unintended consequences!

-Ray
Old 02-18-2019, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

I enjoy this X7 conversation. Like others, I have felt my previous generation X7 is a great companion to the X20; one certainly does not replace the other. That version of the X7 sounds big for its size, but it doesn't come close to the volume and tone of the X20. But, that X7 just feels so comfortable.

I thought the X10 I ordered would be the "Goldilocks" size that would have some of the intimacy of the X7, with more of the sound of the X20. Nope, with the Level 2 pickups, it is a whole 'nuther thing... and, again, not a replacement for either. I played a party today with a keyboard player, and the X10 has such a nice plugged in sound.

This conversation makes me really want to try one of the new model X7s.

Bunch of enablers. It's a quality I admire.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:17 AM
Guest 928

Captain;

Somehow I thought you had already had one of the new 7s.I don't know how you've resisted. Maybe you could be snagging one of the monthly specials. Or better yet, go full custom and get the paint job that reflects your love of the water.

Feel free to admire my enablement.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Captain;

Somehow I thought you had already had one of the new 7s.I don't know how you've resisted. Maybe you could be snagging one of the monthly specials. Or better yet, go full custom and get the paint job that reflects your love of the water.

Feel free to admire my enablement.
When the new models were released last year, I did take a week or so, going back and forth between the new X7 and the X10. I guess I have a very soft spot in my heart for my previous generation X7: it is an Opus, nothing fancy about it, but it just seems like such an intimate instrument. In the end, I am happy I ordered the X10 because it brings something very different from my other acoustics. Together, that X7, X10, and X20 are great as a set. Not sure I want to change that balance.

Your enablement is a trait to be admired. Not necessarily followed, but admired.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber