The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-17-2019, 06:44 PM

Default fishman loudbox

had a gig today with my loudbox. the guitar side worked fine ,but when i plugged in the mic ;nothing! i tried 2 mics and 2 different cords. i wrote to fishman but thought if any of you guys have an idea....? thanks!
Old 02-17-2019, 07:06 PM

Ok, I'll shoot for the obvious, was the gain on the mic channel turned all the way down?
What model of Loudbox is it? mini, artist, performer?
Old 02-17-2019, 07:09 PM

Were the mics condenser mics that needed phantom power? If so, the Mini doesn't provide that and the Artist and Performer provide only 24v (some condensers need 48v).

Louis
Old 02-17-2019, 07:12 PM

it is the Mini , and the mics are the ones i always use SM57 or something like that . not needing any phantom power. yes everything is turned up . i use it regularly and never had a problem,except today.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:50 PM

Did you plug the mics and cords into another unit to make sure they were all working? Sometimes you can have two bad cables! A cable-tester can come in handy, too. If it's the amp, Fishman will likely take care of you. Good customer service.

Louis
Old 02-20-2019, 07:05 PM

eyesore,

While there is a good chance there maybe a problem with the Mini as it doesn't work with the mics or cables you tried, try this simple test.

***** Just before doing the test below touch your bare finger to the exposed metal of the small 1/8" AUX input jack on the back of the amp. If by chance you may have a static electricity charge in your body, touching that jack will drain it off to ground*****

With Mic gain set to about 12o'clock, hold a paperclip with your fingers and probe it into the leftmost hole of the MIC jack on the Mini to touch the metal connection inside. You don't need to go too deep to do this. There is a small number '2' next this hole. Next try the same with a center lower hole of the MIC jack with the small number '3' next to it. The rightmost hole is a ground connection, so no need to try that one. If the amp is working you'll get a hum in either of those holes and it may point to a problem with your cables. I don't think the two mics you tried both could be bad. I did try this with my own Mini to get an approximate idea of where the gain could be set to hear a hum.

Do you have any recollection of picking up the end of a mic cable and feeling or hearing a static electricity zap? I did this years ago with a bass amp when I picked up the jack end of an instrument cable that was plugged into the amp. The static discharge killed an OP Amp that was somewhat directly connected to the input. Fortunately an easy fix for myself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification