The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-11-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
It's a shame that Fishman made the decision to not only use crappy tolex on the Mini, but also to continue using it even with complaints from owners. I know the new charge model uses better tolex but this issue has kept me from buying an original. I know it's only cosmetic but come on, even cheap amps that are a quarter of the price use better tolex.
I have to agree. It takes no effort to tear/damage the covering. and I use a cover too.. For what we're paying for these, and the amount of $ it would take to improve it, it's definitely a "Come on Fishman! Really!"...
Old 02-11-2019, 03:41 PM

Default In market for 1st acoustic guitar amp.

The older Fishmans had terrible tolex but they learned and now have standard tolex on their current models. Fishman even offers a $50 tolex upgrade for older units. If the most critical problem with an amp is that the tolex is sub par it must be a really good amp. I have a Performer as it works in almost any venue not requiring a PA and the additional investment was well worth it.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-11-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I'm an amateur and going against the advice of others worked out very well because of that - an amateur.

The super cheap Acoustic brand I picked up several years ago at a Guitar Center blow out sale has been plenty fine. It left significant money for more important things. The few times it's been used in public no one noticed it was a cheap and to many a craptatacular amp.

More recently it's been drum machine or software output for practice and looper.

Another bit of advice is look at used stuff. A guy who owns an area guitar shop that does a lot of used a repair business was a co-worker many years ago. He gives me good advice. He's pointed out how he's always got some plenty fine used acoustic amps for pennies on the dollar compared to what his professional customers seek.

There's no doubt that I appreciate better products out there but I thought another amateur might want to know about the cheapskate option that worked out well for me.
I appreciate it. Retired here and pennies are tight. Got a great bargain today.
Takamine EAN10C
Old 02-11-2019, 04:40 PM

Default Loudbox Mini came out on top!

First, thank you for your input, ideas and suggestion. The Tonewood was ruled out so I continued searching the Loudbox and others mentioned. Out of the blue a seller who previously ignored or forgotten my offer contacted me.

It’s snowing here in S. PA and across and into MD. A thirty five minutes drive but I was in a grumpy hibernated state wanting no parts of Mr. Winter so I messaged him with a $25 less offer than already firm asking (very reasonable) price.

He accepted to my complete and overjoyed dismay.

The unit was still in the box, looked brand new as stated with a cover and unopened user guide. The savings will be used on something. Perhaps a looper or drum machine ?

Thanks again,

Bruce
Takamine EAN10C
Old 02-12-2019, 07:59 PM

If you sing I would spend your extra cash on one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Helicon-99600...=tc+helicon+r1

It has an awesome preamp that drastically improves vocal quality through the Loudbox even with the reverb off. The verbs are really great and tuned for vocals.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification