The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-10-2019, 10:06 AM

Default Z poxy wash coat ratio

Looking for a ratio of z poxy to alcohol ratio for the final wash coats? I sanded through in a few spots due to inexperience. Now I think I understand the process better but for this one I need a wash coat. I really thinned down a batch probably 50:1. It helped but still can see the spots with bare wood.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:24 AM

Default results vary - - - one person's opinions

I suggest that OP needs to test various thinner and heat quantities until satisfied. Heat thins the epoxy, and also causes it to set quickly. Too much thinner leaves the epoxy rubbery. Everybody's uses are unique to themselves. For sure, don't experiment on the guitar. Got to be scrap wood around someplace.

My opinions suggest to me that I'd be thinning 'a bit' and making the guitar warm and especially warm the epoxy and see what can be done. By 'a bit', I'd thin no more than a quarter of the volume of the epoxy. If the epoxy can be padded on without a lot of drag, it's a good day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair