The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-18-2022, 08:00 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
The kits they sell to revive headlight lenses are terrific. Take your time, read the directions carefully and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS and the results will amaze you! I’ve had great success with multiple cars over the years. These were the cars I bought my kids when they got their licenses. All were beaters, but they had the clearest headlight lenses you could imagine!
1997 Volvo 850 R Estate
1994 Toyota Avalon
1990 Buick LeSabre
Which product has worked best for you?
Old 05-18-2022, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Which product has worked best for you?
Maguire's is my choice.
And there was a 2001 Honda Accord Coupe in that list too. I had forgotten about that one!
Old 05-19-2022, 05:20 AM

I've used the Turtle Wax product with good results. If a car is parked outside regularly, the sun will cause this cloudiness. Garage, shade, facing North have all helped lessen this.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:23 AM

I had it done years ago on my CR-V which was probably 8 years old at the time. I don't know what they did but it was done on the inside of the cover. Cleared it up and it was worth it - the headlights were more illuminating.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I had it done years ago on my CR-V which was probably 8 years old at the time. I don't know what they did but it was done on the inside of the cover. Cleared it up and it was worth it - the headlights were more illuminating.
The only thing that would have been inside the lens is condensation. So if they were inside, they were drying the lens and resealing it to the frame. I think the guy misinformed you. Plexiglass ages on the outside skin, not from the inside out. An interesting take on the issue of refinishing the lens though.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

I had really good results with this kit on heavily oxidized Florida (sunny all year) headlights. Has a UV ceramic coating final step that has lasted a year so far without re-oxidizing!

https://www.amazon.com/CERAKOTE-Cera...90&sr=8-3&th=1

The others I have tried in the past (Meguiars & 3M) both worked pretty well, but started to re-haze after about 6 months.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:45 AM

If they decrease your visibility, I would think that's a safety issue.

A large class action is the permanent answer.

Then we could get glass headlight bulbs again.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 05-25-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
If they decrease your visibility, I would think that's a safety issue.

A large class action is the permanent answer.

Then we could get glass headlight bulbs again.
Our experience with 1980s to 2013 vehicles is polishing and new halogen bulbs work really well for the effort and money spent. Some associates have bought aftermarket assemblies with mixed results. The latter seems less a gamble if it is a common vehicle.

I'm really certain we will not see glass covers or bulbs again for a few reasons. With fleet experience I saw the glass breaks more often. The other matter is adaptive beams are legal, smart electromechanical assemblies are becoming common, and LEDs are superior for a few reasons.

One of our vehicles has a "smart" electromechanical assembly that holds the LED emitters. It is superior for the driver and oncoming vehicle by such a margin that I'll be willing to pay for higher repair costs in the future.

I'm certain the better designs will trickle down or spread wide and replace the type that annoy some or many.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:33 AM

Quote:
The kits they sell to revive headlight lenses are terrific. Take your time, read the directions carefully and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS and the results will amaze you! I’ve had great success with multiple cars over the years. These were the cars I bought my kids when they got their licenses. All were beaters, but they had the clearest headlight lenses you could imagine!
1997 Volvo 850 R Estate
1994 Toyota Avalon
1990 Buick LeSabre
I digress, but we called our 850 R wagon the rocket box and the generation of Yakima roof box we had then was also called Rocket Box. I used to drive a lot more. That car was very comfortable, reliable beyond it's reputation, and had power, braking, and features a lot of people take for granted now.

Lots of good memories but that car sort of marked a lot of changes. From about that time on we spent less on cars, more on where we live, and more on travel.

Now the reputation of kids driving an aging Volvo wagon seems to be an aging Outback, Camry, Malibu, or Accord.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:36 AM

I've restored headlight lenses a few times with great results lasting, well they're all still fine.

My method is rather labor intensive, but it works.
You need to either remove the headlight assemblies or, heavily mask off the surrounding areas.

Purchase some wet sandpaper, minimum 600 grit as well as about a 1200 grit.
Fill a bucket of water & bit of dish soap, soak the sandpaper and begin wet sanding the surface, preferably with a wet sanding pad so it's done uniformly, use the 600 grit first to remove the yellowed surface, move on to the 1200 grit next and again go over the whole surface, rinse the sandpaper in the bucket of slightly soapy water repeatedly. (yes it produces a hazy scratched surface)

Next step is grab a buffing polisher with a foam pad and smear some very fine automotive polishing compound on the headlight lens and foam pad, with some water splattered on it occasionally. Using a slow speed carefully *polish* the lens using the buffer machine. (very light pressure , let the machine do the work.) You'll now notice the lens becoming very clear and clean, make sure you don't use a high speed, as you don't want to *burn* the plastic lens,

Dry the headlight assembly with a soft cloth ( microfiber towel )

Final step is to spray the headlight assembly with a Clearcoat spray can, ( Needs to have UV inhibitors in it or you'll be doing it again in about a year or two )
Once it's dry you'll have an as new headlight lens, which will last.

The cost of everything involved in this method is *Less* than what you'd pay someone to do it ( Including the buffer , foam pad for the buffer, sandpaper, two grades 600 & 1200 , polishing compound and spray can clearcoat.)

P.S. I used to restore high dollar cars which sold at Barrett-Jackson Custom car Auto auctions

Last edited by Rockysdad; 05-25-2022 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:14 PM

Default Cloudy headlight covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I digress, but we called our 850 R wagon the rocket box and the generation of Yakima roof box we had then was also called Rocket Box. I used to drive a lot more. That car was very comfortable, reliable beyond it's reputation, and had power, braking, and features a lot of people take for granted now.

Lots of good memories but that car sort of marked a lot of changes. From about that time on we spent less on cars, more on where we live, and more on travel.

Now the reputation of kids driving an aging Volvo wagon seems to be an aging Outback, Camry, Malibu, or Accord.
I’m sorry to say, my kids never got the significance of the original “R” cars. This butter crème beauty with the bespoke Olympia? mag wheels, rear window spoiler and front air dam with fitted fog lamps was just off the radar in America. Alcantara seats and a five speed manual, 245hp/245ft. Lbs. out of a 2.3liter five cylinder turbo was unheard of in ‘97. It was called the “flying brick” in my house.

No, this was not my car!!! It’s what I wished it looked like when I bought it in 2005.

Last edited by Chickee; 05-25-2022 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I’m sorry to say, my kids never got the significance of the original “R” cars. This butter crème beauty with the bespoke Olympia? mag wheels, rear window spoiler and front air dam with fitted fog lamps was just off the radar in America. Alcantara seats and a five speed manual, 245hp/245ft. Lbs. out of a 2.3liter five cylinder turbo was unheard of in ‘97. It was called the “flying brick” in my house.

No, this was not my car!!! It’s what I wished it looked like when I bought it in 2005.
We would see what was ours around town for years after we sold it and got a van in 2004. It for sure lived 20+ years and might have been one of the few worthwhile premium car purchases in my life.

The brakes with the Pilot tires were so good for their time ours was rear ended twice when people behind could not stop. There was a pile up in front of me, behind me, and a gap in front of me.

It gave us special appreciation for the Sienna SE vans where the engine is same as all but suspension, steering and interior are above the rest.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic