The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old 10-13-2017, 05:55 AM
lowrider lowrider is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,336
Default

The barre F is working well. So well that the rest of the song needs to catch up to it now. I only use the first three fingers, leaving the pinky free to catch the B string when I need it.

When I started practicing in December, I knew that the barre F would be the biggest road block and I started practicing it, just for a few minutes, right from the start. So now it's all good

I started playing to exercise my brain and my hands. Toby's lessons have raised the challenge and made me sound pretty good. Even my friends, when they hear me like it and say things like ''Wow, I thought that was coming form the radio'!
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 10-14-2017, 02:15 PM
Toby Walker's Avatar
Toby Walker Toby Walker is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.
Posts: 8,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
The barre F is working well. So well that the rest of the song needs to catch up to it now. I only use the first three fingers, leaving the pinky free to catch the B string when I need it.

When I started practicing in December, I knew that the barre F would be the biggest road block and I started practicing it, just for a few minutes, right from the start. So now it's all good

I started playing to exercise my brain and my hands. Toby's lessons have raised the challenge and made me sound pretty good. Even my friends, when they hear me like it and say things like ''Wow, I thought that was coming form the radio'!
That's great to hear!!! Mastering the F chord in that manner is no easy feat!!! Congrats!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 10-16-2017, 03:19 PM
lowrider lowrider is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,336
Default

Just started ''How Long Blues''. Nice! After the first half hour, the verse is starting to sound like something. I watched the lesson, stumbled through the verse a couple times, watched the lesson again. then I could get the rythm slowly.


Great lesson, Toby. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 11-03-2017, 09:46 PM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 21,728
Default

Trying to work some of Toby back into my practicing. I ran through Deep River Blues a few times tonight and One Dime Blues the day before yesterday. Tough to keep up on all the tunes and spend time with family too, lol.
__________________
.
.

My signature stuff.....


Barry

Shooting Star (M. Kishibe cover):


Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/barry329

Gibson J-45, Guild D-55, Guild D-120ce, Larrivee OM-05, Martin D-16GT

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk, Washburn D-10s, Lucero LC-100
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 11-27-2017, 08:42 AM
lowrider lowrider is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,336
Default

I just took advantage of Toby's Cyber Monday sale and got his ''Doing more with Less-The Blues'' package of lessons. I just looked it over and there is a lot there, including at the very end David Bromberg's ''Pine Tree Woman'', a very cool song that I remember from way back when the album came out in 72 or 73.

It's going to take a long time to get to that one but so far Toby's lessons have done me a lot of good and kept me, my wife and the two cats entertained. I started on the ''Look ma, I'm Fingerpicking package in July. I only have ''Begging Back Blues'' to learn on that one and I've been working on the beginning of the ''Blues Foundation'' lessons, so it's going to take a while to get to the new lessons.

It's not just learning the songs. The lessons are giving me the tools to hear what's going on when I listen to other songs. They have loosened up my fingers and they are giving me confidence to try other things that I want to be able to play.

Thank you, Toby, your lessons are have not only been helpful, they are a lot of fun to play!
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 12-19-2017, 03:54 PM
lowrider lowrider is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,336
Default

Ah! It's taken a long time, I've been working on it since sometime in September, but today finally felt that I was playing ''Freight Train'' cleanly. There are a lot of places where you play the string next to the one you just played and there's a lot of chances to muff it either with your left or right hand. Today, I finally felt that I was going through cleanly.

It really made me learn to discipline my right hand. Great lesson and lots of fun to play!
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 12-21-2017, 09:39 PM
reeve21 reeve21 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Central Connecticut, USA
Posts: 1,823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Ah! It's taken a long time, I've been working on it since sometime in September, but today finally felt that I was playing ''Freight Train'' cleanly. There are a lot of places where you play the string next to the one you just played and there's a lot of chances to muff it either with your left or right hand. Today, I finally felt that I was going through cleanly.

It really made me learn to discipline my right hand. Great lesson and lots of fun to play!
Congrats on that! Freight Train was a milestone for me, you are a Travis picker now
__________________
Bob
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 12-21-2017, 11:59 PM
tonyo tonyo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Coming out with a new set of lessons on playing acoustic lead guitar soon!!
Are these available yet?
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 12-22-2017, 12:34 PM
lowrider lowrider is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,336
Default

Thank you Reeve, and thank you for all your encouragement while I've been working on this. It's a lot of fun. Back to the ''F' chord; the barr falls right into place and then two fingers fall just in time for the next two notes. On ''Beggin Back Blues'' I use the little F and only use the thumb wrap for the single F note not when it's with a treble note. If I try the thumb with the chord, it muffs the chord.

Tonyo; I believe the answer is yes. You should contact Toby directly. I got the blues lead lesson package a little while ago and just looked at it enough to see that the final lesson is on ''Pine Tree Woman'' a really cool David Bromberg song. It's giving me something to work toward.

Last edited by lowrider; 12-22-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 12-22-2017, 02:45 PM
Toby Walker's Avatar
Toby Walker Toby Walker is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.
Posts: 8,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Coming out with a new set of lessons on playing acoustic lead guitar soon!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
Are these available yet?
Yes, they are:

http://www.tobywalkerslessons.com/le...r-soloing.html

Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 12-22-2017, 02:48 PM
Toby Walker's Avatar
Toby Walker Toby Walker is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.
Posts: 8,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I just took advantage of Toby's Cyber Monday sale and got his ''Doing more with Less-The Blues'' package of lessons. I just looked it over and there is a lot there, including at the very end David Bromberg's ''Pine Tree Woman'', a very cool song that I remember from way back when the album came out in 72 or 73.

It's going to take a long time to get to that one but so far Toby's lessons have done me a lot of good and kept me, my wife and the two cats entertained. I started on the ''Look ma, I'm Fingerpicking package in July. I only have ''Begging Back Blues'' to learn on that one and I've been working on the beginning of the ''Blues Foundation'' lessons, so it's going to take a while to get to the new lessons.

It's not just learning the songs. The lessons are giving me the tools to hear what's going on when I listen to other songs. They have loosened up my fingers and they are giving me confidence to try other things that I want to be able to play.

Thank you, Toby, your lessons are have not only been helpful, they are a lot of fun to play!
Thank YOU Lowrider! I'm really happy to hear that you're getting so much out of these lessons.

I honestly try to teach more than 'just the song.' It's my goal to make better guitar players out of everyone, which in my book means showing the various ways one can be creative with the tunes, as well as learning the ins and outs of the guitar itself.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 12-22-2017, 03:29 PM
tonyo tonyo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
thanks, how do they compare to the Take a Solo! lesson? I'm not keen to buy all of them, have mainly focused on the major scale in my quest to learn to play lead. Which would you suggest is appropriate?
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 12-22-2017, 04:52 PM
Toby Walker's Avatar
Toby Walker Toby Walker is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.
Posts: 8,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
thanks, how do they compare to the Take a Solo! lesson? I'm not keen to buy all of them, have mainly focused on the major scale in my quest to learn to play lead. Which would you suggest is appropriate?
Hi Tonyo,

They go into soloing in much more depth, with tons of examples.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 01-18-2018, 05:45 AM
lowrider lowrider is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,336
Default

I started learning Toby's ''Robert Johnson Style 12 Barr Blues''. This is a big leap for me and my playing and I'm feeling really good about it. This is very cool. When I can play this, I'll start to think of myself as a player.

Might just go out and buy myself a pork pie hat!
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=