The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-18-2018, 08:54 PM

Default which amp to buy?

I seek a 2 channel acoustic amp, for playing guitar & singing at a small room (about 30-50 people). No drum. Just a piano accompanying. I can spend $400 max.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. 10Q!!!
Old 01-18-2018, 09:05 PM

You might check a Fender Acoustasonic 150. I have one and it will do what you want.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 01-18-2018, 09:19 PM

Fishman Loudbox Mini ?
Old 01-18-2018, 09:20 PM

There's a Fishman Loudbox Mini amp package that can be had for within your price point. https://www.amazon.com/Fishman-Loudb...s=loudbox+mini You get a lot for your money with this package.

My personal preference is mixers and PA's.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 01-19-2018, 01:02 AM

I can only find the fender 150 in used condition -- good price but the shipping charges by the seller cost as much as the amp.

I am leaning toward the fishman loudbox mini.

QUESTION: I had a local luthier (he plays bluegrass gigs every so often) suggest the bugera ac 60. The reviews all look great -- just about equal to reviews for the fishman, but the bugera is not as popular as the fishman. Anyone familiar with this amp?
Old 01-19-2018, 08:34 AM

The Fishman Loudbox Mini is amazing. I still can't believe how loud this little thing gets, while still sounding clear. Fishman stands behind their products. Their customer service is unsurpassed. There are several great amps out there that would suit your needs but personally I'll stick with Fishman because my investment is protected by their superior customer service.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:19 AM

I've had a Loudbox Mini and a Loudbox Performer, and the mini punches way over its weight class. Very lightweight, portable, and simple to dial in.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:02 AM

The Loudbox Artist is more feature-rich that the Mini, a little more robust in sound, and with two identical channels--also a little bigger and a little heavier than the Mini. I've been very happy with it for a number of different applications. Worth a look/listen unless the Mini gives what you need.

Louis
Old 01-19-2018, 12:02 PM

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltamontes View Post
Fishman Loudbox Mini ?
That is my choice.

That is what I use with this band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w_TCx2KNQI

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
I can only find the fender 150 in used condition -- good price but the shipping charges by the seller cost as much as the amp.

I am leaning toward the fishman loudbox mini.

QUESTION: I had a local luthier (he plays bluegrass gigs every so often) suggest the bugera ac 60. The reviews all look great -- just about equal to reviews for the fishman, but the bugera is not as popular as the fishman. Anyone familiar with this amp?
I have the Bugera AC60 but can offer only limited feedback because I haven't gigged with it. My general impression is that it's very good for the money. What I can't be sure of is the degree to which the positive reviews are "good for the money" or just plain good.

I use it as a practice amp. It sounds good with the limited tweaking I have done, and has a strong feature set. Has a kickstand to angle up on the floor and even a speaker stand hole mount on the bottom. The reverb setup is unusual as you can see online. Though two channel, it doesn't have two separate reverb controls. You set the reverb level on one knob, and another knob pans the reverb level between the two channels. This still gives you a lot of control--you can have all reverb on one channel, or the other, or 50/50 or 80/20 etc. but this novel setup might overly annoy some.

I think it would be loud enough for a 50-80-person room but I can't turn it up high enough, without blowing my ears out in my living room, to tell you when it begins to distort.

Haven't played a Loudbox Mini in ages so I can't compare the two unfortunately.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:59 PM

Although I don't own the LB Mini. It seems to be a favorite out there. They sell for $329 at most places. Used ones typically go for around $200-$225.

With left over cash you can always get a "powered speaker" for more coverage if you ever needed. Using the mini as your personal tone engine and monitor.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:43 PM

Having recently purchased both the Fender Acoustisonic and the Fishman Loudbox Artist I'd say go with the Fishman. You should be able to purchase the Loudbox Artist for around $350 used which will give you enough left over to order the accompanying pedal from Sweetwater. If you want new, go with the mini. I loved my old Fender Acoustisonic DSP JR amp so I bought the 90 a couple months back and it didn't even compare. It sounds cheap and the effects left much to be desired. Not to mention I couldn't even turn the volumes up past 50% or I'd get distortion and some feedback. I ended up selling the Fender and keeping the Fishman. Perhaps the 150 is much better but I'm not so sure. Another suggestion would be the Marshal AS50D. I own this as well and I love the sound of it. Just not sure it's loud enough for the venue you're looking to play. I plug the Marshal into my Bose L1 and it sounds great. Which ever one you choose, I wish you good luck in your search! Part of the fun of getting a new amp is shopping around!
Old 01-19-2018, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
The Loudbox Artist is more feature-rich that the Mini, a little more robust in sound, and with two identical channels--also a little bigger and a little heavier than the Mini. I've been very happy with it for a number of different applications. Worth a look/listen unless the Mini gives what you need.

Louis
+1 for sure! …and our AGF sponsor Jerry at Pacific Guitar Sales has them, his prices are excellent and he is awesome to deal with!

eric
Old 01-19-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I have the Bugera AC60 but can offer only limited feedback because I haven't gigged with it.
10Q Chriscom! I bought the Bugera. After I did that, all the pro-Loudbox posts here made me start waffling. So I tried to cancel the Bug, but it had already shipped.

From Chriscom's post, it sounds like I won't be unhappy with the Bug. However, I have decided to buy the Loudbox Mini, as well, a few months from now. My grandson-in-law will likely eventually get 1 of these 2 -- he's an RN trauma nurse & plays/sings better than me.

P.S. 10Q to everyone for all your helpful suggestions!

P.P.S For future buys, I will surely check out Pacific Guitar Sales.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Used HK Nano 300 (or new for just a bit more than your price range if you shop around).

http://hkaudio.com/products.php?id=376

Second choice: Alto Trouper (you can score two for your budget):
- https://www.altoproaudio.com/products/trouper

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification