The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-02-2012, 06:13 AM

Default Marshall or Fishman amp?

I can't decide between the Fishman Loudbox Mini and the Marshall AS50D. Love the sound and features of both. Any good or bad experiences you have had with either?

2012 Taylor 314ce
Gibson LP Studio Deluxe
Fender Blues Jr 111
Vox VT40+
Old 06-02-2012, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleeasc View Post
I can't decide between the Fishman Loudbox Mini and the Marshall AS50D. Love the sound and features of both. Any good or bad experiences you have had with either?
Hi jlee...

What do you plan on doing with it?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-02-2012, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

I've got the Fishman Loudbox Mini which use when playing instrumental music in small rooms. It brings out the true sound of my higher end acoustics quite well... and I'm pretty fussy about that.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:16 AM

Larry-

I will mainly use it for now to amplify my practice, learning, and just overall enjoyment. I just purchased a 314ce and want to experience it's full sound. I'm sure at some point I will perform for my family, friends, and hope someday to perform on a small scale but I am not close to that level yet.

Thanks Toby- I'm leaning to the Fishman but guess I wanted a Marshall just to have a Marshall. Not a very good reason.
jlee

2012 Taylor 314ce
Gibson LP Studio Deluxe
Fender Blues Jr 111
Vox VT40+

Last edited by jleeasc; 06-02-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleeasc View Post
Larry-

I will mainly use it for now to amplify my practice, learning, and just overall enjoyment. I just purchased a 314ce and want to experience it's full sound. I'm sure at some point I will perform for my family, friends, and hope someday to perform on a small scale but I am not close to that level yet.

Thanks Toby- I'm leaning to the Fishman but guess I wanted a Marshall just to have a Marshall. Not a very good reason.
jlee
Hi jlee...

Both are nice amps, and the Marshall is a heavy beast! It's twice the weight of the Fishman, and it's equipped with a pair of 8'' speakers which will produce a better bottom end for the guitar than the 6.5'' single speaker in the Fishman Mini.

For fun either will do...and you can probably find a Marshall used out there somewhere fairly easy.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-03-2012, 05:00 AM

Fishman for sure.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I for one love the Marshall.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-03-2012, 11:34 AM

The Marshall AS50D is not a heavey beast weighing about 35lbs. That's not much to me to carry. It has better low end than the Loudbox mini. You can sing through it with no problem, playing along with an Ipod at the same time through the 1/8" connector. The built in reverb and chorus makes it a no brainer choice.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:31 PM

I have a Fishman Loudbox Artist LBX600. It's a compact amp, it weighs in at about 25 lbs and delivers about 120 watts biamped. It's LOUD. The effects sound great, it gives my acoustic guitars a very natural sound. I haven't had any experience at all with the little Marshall, but I can't imagine it would be bad....after all, it's a Marshall.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
The Marshall AS50D is not a heavey beast weighing about 35lbs.
Hi RockerD...
Many 50 watt acoustic amps speakers made these days weigh in at around 20-25 pounds, and with a weight restriction due to an injury for life, the difference was enough to cause me to research and opt for a great sounding lower weight of amp.

The Marshall is a good solid sounding amp, up there in the same weight class as tube electric amps. If you are built sturdy, it can be a great amp.

I like other amps with a tweeter/high frequency driver...but an 8'' cone does magic things to the tone of an acoustic. And the Marshall has 2 of em...and some genuine 'reach out and touch' capability.

There were just too many pro grade acoustic amps with adequate power under 25 pounds for me to consider something in the 35 pound weight class.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 06-04-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi RockerD...
Many 50 watt acoustic amps speakers made these days weigh in at around 20-25 pounds, and with a weight restriction due to an injury for life, the difference was enough to cause me to research and opt for a great sounding lower weight of amp.

The Marshall is a good solid sounding amp, up there in the same weight class as tube electric amps. If you are built sturdy, it can be a great amp.

I like other amps with a tweeter/high frequency driver...but an 8'' cone does magic things to the tone of an acoustic. And the Marshall has 2 of em...and some genuine 'reach out and touch' capability.

There were just too many pro grade acoustic amps with adequate power under 25 pounds for me to consider something in the 35 pound weight class.

Yeah, one of the things I really like about the Fishman Artist is that it has an 8" woofer as well as a 1" tweeter. The 1" tweeter can be controlled separately, which gives you the capability of completely rescaping the sound. IIRC the power distribution is 100w to the woofer and 20w to the tweeter.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 AM

I own one of each and love them both. For portability I really like the Loudbox Mini and for its size has a big sound. The Marshall although not that heavy is bulkier. It is my favorite overall and works well with vocals.

That said, given your criteria, the Fishman would be my choice (and its a bit cheaper).

Old 06-04-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMan View Post
I own one of each and love them both. For portability I really like the Loudbox Mini and for its size has a big sound. The Marshall although not that heavy is bulkier. It is my favorite overall and works well with vocals.

That said, given your criteria, the Fishman would be my choice (and its a bit cheaper).
Don't get the Fishman Loudbox Mini confused with the Fishman Loudbox Artist....two different amps.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:28 PM

jleeasc

I know how you feel I can't decide between as well but the more I look into it, it looks like the Marshall is winning out. But I'll be watching what people have to say here before I make my decision.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:36 PM

Both good amps! I played the Marshall live and it was good. I played the Fishman mini in a shop and was shocked how natural a sound it had while being small.
The Ultrasound DS4 is another one that many including myself love. Very natural and full sounding.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification