The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-31-2023, 09:38 AM

Default Fiddle getting started advice?

If one were interested in taking up fiddle, where would one start?

How do you go about finding a good beginner fiddle and bow?

Any fiddle players on the forum?
Old 03-31-2023, 09:56 AM

Go to your local musical instrument shop that handles orchestra/band student rentals to schools. They can set you up with properly set-up instrument and lesson referral.
Old 03-31-2023, 11:14 AM

I always suggest going to a real string shop. I would avoid the $100 Amazon specials, and I would also avoid guitar shops with one lonely fiddle/violin on the wall. A string shop understands how to set up a violin, which is a much more in depth process than setting up a guitar.

My usual advice is contrary to the above advice. I generally suggest staying away from places that rent middle school band instruments, but that may turn out to be your only local option, and we work with what we have.

I do think renting a violin is a good idea. Most string shops will apply some or even all of the money you spend renting to the purchase of an instrument, if you choose to buy down the road. Remember, you don’t just need a violin, you need a bow, a case and rosin at the minimum. Bows can be very expensive.

Lessons are very close to a must. Even if you can only take lessons for a month or two, it will start you out on the right foot. I am not going to sugar coat it, violin/fiddle is hard; therefore, anything you can do to make it easier, a good quality instrument with a good setup, accompanied by some lessons, will make a very steep learning curve significantly more manageable.
Old 03-31-2023, 02:06 PM

What they said.

Looks like there's a couple of music stores/teachers in New Braunfels, and I'm guessing several more in San Antone.
Old 03-31-2023, 03:50 PM

What they said, but I will add one more thing to consider. As a beginner , don’t be afraid to look at Chinese made fiddles. As with Chinese made guitars, you get a good bang for the buck.

If you can’t get to a local shop, a good online store is www.fiddlershop.com. Look at their online videos. Also over the phone, they can steer you to a fiddle and bow that is most appropriate for you, and they have a good return policy.
Old 03-31-2023, 04:22 PM

I started violin when I was 10 years old on a rental. The previous posts are spot on. Rent a violin from a good shop. Get in person lessons. Practice! I still love to play now after almost 50 years.

Mark O'Connor has a teaching method (his response to a somewhat inexplicable personal grievance with Suzuki) that is worth looking into.

Like any instrument there are a few ways to do it correctly and 1000's of ways to do it incorrectly. It's really worth the investment to establish good effective ergonomic habits from the start. We can all point to exceptions who play amazing with all the "wrong" habits. That's because they're exceptional. You and I and most of the people we encounter are NOT Sam Bush or Michael Cleveland. Learn the "right" way first.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Like any instrument there are a few ways to do it correctly and 1000's of ways to do it incorrectly. It's really worth the investment to establish good effective ergonomic habits from the start. We can all point to exceptions who play amazing with all the "wrong" habits. That's because they're exceptional. You and I and most of the people we encounter are NOT Sam Bush or Michael Cleveland. Learn the "right" way first.
When we’re talking technique, it is almost always in the bowing hand that things break down. Spend A LOT of time getting that traditional bow hold (not grip) to be extremely relaxed and second nature. It’s the thing I stress most with my students because any tension there is what instantly makes you sound horrible. It’s definitely a learned thing and there’s really no room for “I like doing it this other way more…” Do it “right” all the time. Fidget with a pen? Practice your bow hold. Brush your teeth? Practice your bow hold. Your left hand technique will be much more advanced from your guitar playing. So. Practice your bow hold.
Recording King RD-328
Epiphone 1934 Olympic
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Recording King ROS-11-FE3-TBR
Alvarez AJ-417/12
Silvertone 1958/9 620 Jumbo
Supertone 1941 3/4 Scale (Terz?)
Oscar Schmidt 3/4 Scale
Kepler Biscuit Reso
Old 04-01-2023, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Ditto'd Dittos here. Go to a string shop and get a teacher.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Edit:
Just checked, and Google says Bryan closed his shop...what a sad note.
Apologies for not being helpful.
But then, there is Fiddlers Green in Lockhart

A.R.
You live close to one of the best fiddle shops around....Duckworth Violins on the square in NB.
Bryan Duckworth played with Robert Earl Keen, and studied lutherie under a great, now has a wonderful shop. It's well worth your time.
We went in there when my wife wanted to start fiddle. Brian spent an enormous amount of time and shared his stories and experience to get her started.

Last edited by catndahats; 04-01-2023 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-01-2023, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Then, there's Doug Kershaw who can make an entertainment spectacle out of playing the fiddle wrong but sounding good doing it while doing his thing! How about a little shredded bow hair with your salad tonight? Back in the 1950s and 1960s, Doug, and his brother, Rusty, known as Rusty & Doug, helped keep Cajun music before music listeners and helped it not fade away.

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 04-01-2023 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:14 PM

Hey there!
My first piece of advice is to try a fiddle out at a shop. If buying one online( don't unless you have some experience), get it set up at a shop. Now, my best advice to you after obtaining an instrument is to get a teacher. Violin/ fiddle is generally NOT an instrument a guitar player can just pick up and play. Other ones like banjo or mandolin are very similar.So get a teacher. Enjoy the journey!. Jan 🎻
Old 04-07-2023, 02:19 PM

Good stuff! Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated.
Old 04-07-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
Edit:
Just checked, and Google says Bryan closed his shop...what a sad note.
Apologies for not being helpful.
But then, there is Fiddlers Green in Lockhart
Yeah, I drove through downtown the other day and noticed it was no longer there. That was really the first place I thought of when I started thinking about getting a violin.

I never put it together that was Bryan Duckworth of REK fame. Dang. I would have at least stopped by there to say hi.
Old 04-08-2023, 05:54 AM

I've played fiddle for 50 years. I'd add this to the good advice already given.

1. Make sure your fiddle is perfectly in tune

2. Spend time focusing on intonation. You can do this by playing against drone notes (e.g playing the open D string while playing notes in the D major scale up the A string), or playing along with prerecorded drone notes (search for "drone notes" on YouTube), and/or play along with records.

3. If you can get your hands on a mandolin, that is a good way to learn/memorize tunes. Since mando and fiddles are tuned the same, you can learn a tune on mando and then transfer it to fiddle.

4. Spend time working on vibrato. Good vibrato adds a lot to the vibe of fiddle playing.

5. Perhaps the most important advice. Practice the fiddle and the gift of mercy simultaneously by ensuring the people you live with you/near you can't hear your practice as in the beginning stages it may sound like a dying cat. Maybe get a VIOLIN MUTE for practicing.
Old 04-08-2023, 08:17 AM

I'd certainly echo all the great advice above but thought I'd add - consider an electronic violin. If that is in your price range, used likely, given that you will sound awful as a beginner - not a criticism, reality - playing quietly can be a big bonus. I know!!

I resumed playing the violin a while back and after a few tries on my acoustic, decided to try an electric [silent] violin. It was great. While called 'silent', you can hear yourself playing easily but the sound doesn't carry. Plugged in, they sound excellent.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments