The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-06-2023, 11:02 PM

Default Lanikai Electric Concert Ukulele

Any feedback on Lanikai uses? I may be getting a used one for my teenage daughter's birthday this week. She's a great little acoustic singer-songwriter, but she played high level violin until last year (concertmaster of her symphony group), so the uke is easy for her to play already. She doesn't want a soprano, though there's a used Mahalo soprano for much less than the Lanikai. I like the used Mele all-solid Mahogany Tenor-6 String, but it's double the price of the Lanikai.

Thanks in advance...

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 06-07-2023, 03:48 PM

IME Lanikai's QC can be iffy - the advanced players in our senior center's uke group favor Ohana and Kala, and based on my wife's maple/spruce tenor I'd strongly recommend the former:

https://reverb.com/item/63922041-oha...kulele-gig-bag
Old 06-07-2023, 04:08 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I don't know what your budget is but my wife gave me nice Kala cedar/accacia concert (non-electric) that I love.

It has a mahogany neck, red padauk binding and rosette, and laurel fingerboard and bridge. It was recently redesigned and you can find it HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-08-2023, 03:14 PM

My wife and I both have Lanikais (no pickups, though), and like them pretty well. She had a solid spruce top, and I have laminated mahogany. I like the sound of hers better, but it's a concert, so it seems pretty small when I play it.

At the local uke club I heard a Lanikai 8 string (not sure which model, but probably a solid top) - it sounded quite good, and was LOUD.

D.H.

Last edited by Dave Hicks; 06-08-2023 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 03:24 PM

Spend a little more on the Ohana or the Kala.
Old 06-15-2023, 03:24 PM

I bought a Lanikai laminated mahogany tenor last week. It is a blast to play and I thought it sounded better than the comparably priced Alvarez or Kala ukes the local shop had. I really like it so far. I know nothing about ukes or better ukes. I'm a guitar guy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments