The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-01-2021, 12:43 PM

Default ataylor's quick cover song archive (last one, I promise): "Wonderwall"

I've been going through some of the songs saved in my Voice Memos and Music Memos and Notes apps on my phone and I've found a handful of quick cover songs I've recorded that I thought might be worth sharing here.

These are unrehearsed, spur-of-the-moment recordings I've done, which means sometimes I misplace or mess up a chord or a lyric or a verse here or there.

The base vocal and guitar tracks on these are — I think — all recorded with my iPhone's built-in microphone. Sometimes if I recorded in Music Memos, I've used the app's auto-create drums and/or bass to see how it sounds. Sometimes I take it from there into Garageband and play with the drums and bass a little bit, and then sometimes I'll even add a bit of additional guitar and vocals with my little Apogee Mic and/or Jam inputs.

All just for fun, not going for studio quality here — volume levels and balance of vocals and instruments in the mix sometimes aren't ideal — just capturing an idea and sometimes building on it.

- - -

Okay, first a bit of context for this song. This was the first song I ever learned to play on guitar a little over two decades ago. The first song I tried to learn was probably "Fire and Rain" or "Sweet Baby James" because my parents had a JT songbook in our piano bench along with some other sheet music, but that clearly wasn't happening for me right off the bat. So I went with something a bit easier and I was into the Brit-rock alternative stuff at the time, so that was that.

This particular version of the track came when I was DIY recording my first (and so far only) LP-length album back in 2014. I was getting a little frustrated tracking one of my own songs in a room in our church building during the week and decided to loosen up a bit by playing an old favorite. Just for fun, I started tracking it.

I love the Ryan Adams version of this song, so I'd been playing it that way for a number of years, but I wanted to try something a little different. So I opted to strum it, like the original, but in a more folksy, almost bluegrassy sort of style that I thought was a nice homage to Ryan's take without ripping it off. I tried to stick to more of the original melody but did find myself drifting into Ryan Adams' more melancholy phrasing a little here and there.

I had such a good time with the base vocal and guitar track that I decided to try adding some quick harmonies and secondary guitar. It was just what I needed to get back in the zone, and I was able to focus my attention back to my own song that was giving me troubles and got it tracked.

As I was doing some of my DIY mixing and tinkering with my album tracks, I came upon my cover song distraction and decided I liked it enough to include as a "bonus" or "hidden" track on the physical (CD/vinyl) copies of the album. Thought it would be fun to share here to cap off my little "archive" of cover songs I've been sharing. Enjoy!

For context, here's the original — and here's the less-iconic-but-arguably-superior version Ryan Adams did about a decade later.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:51 PM

That's a fun version of it, very nice job. I like Ryan Adams' music a lot, he was a big contributor to my greater musical knowledge base from which I still draw.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 09-01-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
That's a fun version of it, very nice job. I like Ryan Adams' music a lot, he was a big contributor to my greater musical knowledge base from which I still draw.
Thanks!

I need to listen to a bit more Ryan Adams than I have, but a couple of my favorite albums of his are his 1989 cover album (so good, I love how he was able to mix Taylor Swift's pop songwriting with his Springsteen and Tom Petty influences) and a live version of Easy Tiger I found with his full band.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Thanks!

I need to listen to a bit more Ryan Adams than I have, but a couple of my favorite albums of his are his 1989 cover album (so good, I love how he was able to mix Taylor Swift's pop songwriting with his Springsteen and Tom Petty influences) and a live version of Easy Tiger I found with his full band.
That was a good album. Listen back through his Cardinals and Whiskeytown days, interesting stuff.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell