The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-17-2021, 02:00 PM

Question Pain in the right arm when playing guitar while sitting. Help, please!

I started playing the guitar recently and hold the guitar like this guy.

https://imgur.com/a/VnNeVba

I feel a cramp in my biceps, as it does when you decrease blood circulation in some part of the body. This cramp appears after I play the guitar for about 30 minutes, it lasts for some time even after I stop playing the guitar.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:08 PM

I think what you need to do is relax. Get rid of the tension.You might even try shaking your arms to loosen them up.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Try holding the guitar like Toby Walker;

I was having a similar problem caused by disc problems in my neck. Toby recommended that I try putting the guitar on my left leg and just like that, the problem went away.

Toby is a great guitar teacher and a great guy. If you're thinking about blues finger picking, he's the man to look up.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguitarplayer View Post

I feel a cramp in my biceps, as it does when you decrease blood circulation in some part of the body. This cramp appears after I play the guitar for about 30 minutes, it lasts for some time even after I stop playing the guitar.
Bodies are weird, and different things work for different people. I have a sitting position roughly similar to what you showed us, and suddenly after playing off and on for 40 years, it recently gave me a slight numbness/tingle in my right arm. I changed position for several days, and it solved that problem. I later forgot I had that problem, went back to the "problem" position without thinking, and haven't had that problem again. Yet!

There may be no substitute for changing position, temporarily or permanently.

And while you may not have extra piles of cash lying around, even a change in the guitar shape or size can solve that kind of problem--or create it!
Old 05-17-2021, 04:04 PM

Don’t know what size guitar you are playing, but dreads have done the same to me since I began playing back in 1957. Smaller bodies work fine for me, even just a bit smaller.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:16 PM

As mentioned, our bodies have lots of variation. Something I have done for 40 years might cause you pain after 40 minutes!

For me, although I started out like the image you posted (guitar neck parallel to the floor) I ended up with almost a classical neck position. The photo of Toby Walker would be my minimum angle.

I actually have gone further in the last decade - I always play with a strap, no exceptions. Sitting down, I'm in optimal position. If I stand up, I don't need to adjust one bit.

Try to change the angle of the neck and see if that has any effect. If not, then you'll need to keep searching.

Jumbos and dreads seem to cause SOME people problems, while smaller jumbos and OM aren't mentioned much in terms of playing pain.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-17-2021, 05:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Left leg left leg, left leg!!!!
Old 05-17-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

I was having a similar problem caused by disc problems in my neck. Toby recommended that I try putting the guitar on my left leg and just like that, the problem went away.

Toby is a great guitar teacher and a great guy. If you're thinking about blues finger picking, he's the man to look up.
This is a good recommendation.

And I agree with everything you have said about Toby. A terrific guitarist, and one of the best teachers you will ever come across. If you have any interest in his styles of playing, you should definitely consider taking lessons from him, or at a minimum buying some of his videos.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Ok, I give up - how's he holding a dread in that position? Is there something I'm not seeing?
Old 05-17-2021, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysd View Post
Ok, I give up - how's he holding a dread in that position? Is there something I'm not seeing?
The guitar is on his left leg. His left leg is raised because his foot is most probably resting on something.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 05-18-2021 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguitarplayer View Post

Well, play for 29 minutes and quit. Try the salmon, I'll be here all week folks.

Seriously, the guitar may be too big for you. Also, you may be 'Hunching" over the guitar too (It's a bad habit that I also happen to have) - this puts a lot of pressure from your upper arm onto the top. Try sitting up straighter. Guitar position can be a culprit too. I understand all the guitar position suggestions too, I have been playing too long to comfortably make that change.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-17-2021, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Good suggestions here.

Also, if you’re new, take it easy and don’t push past the pain. I had a friend who got pretty bad tendinitis when he enthusiastically took up guitar. Your body will adjust if you go slow and develop good habits.

As someone mentioned above: relax. It’s super easy to tense up (I still do when I’m learning difficult music) and that can lead to soreness and injury.

Or just spend all your time reading about gear on the forum!
Old 05-17-2021, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

I use the NeckUp on all my guitars as does Eric Skye, a member here and an inspiration.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:28 PM

Get a strap that is easy to adjust for length. I can move the guitar around to various positions but mostly have the guitar angled up with my spine and neck upright. If I feel a little fatigue, I move it.

I have some nice fabric and leather straps but have gravitated toward the older method of using a thick cord attached way up around the head stock with a slip knot for adjustability. I haven't found a source for spiral kind from the 50s and 60s so I make mine from woven nylon cords from a backpacking store. Until you find that you could use paracord or a 60" woven bootlace. They are handy and unobtrusive and can hold the guitar about anywhere you like including the left left leg classical position. - Stevo
Old 05-17-2021, 10:52 PM

Classical guitar players have the ideal posture. I switch between the position you have pictured, and the classical position when fatigue or aches start on either side. I don't know if that would be helpful to a beginner since it might disrupt muscle memory.
MLJ Parlor #27 / Eastman E2-CD / Silvertone 604 / Egmond 60's parlor / Journey OF660 / Martin Custom D / Santa Cruz D Pre War / Doff Classical / Takamine 12

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar, pain, right hand technique