The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-23-2021, 09:29 AM

I use either an older model Henriksen or a Polytone.

With both, I use a Tech 21 blonde modelling pedal if I want to get a more "tube amp" sound.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-24-2021, 02:26 AM

Jazz Chorus is tremendous but just too heavy....Henriksen and Quilter will float your boat. My own sitution for an ES-175D is a ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb at 22lbs it's highly transportable. If i were to travel by public transport I would fall back on my tc electronics BAM200 head fixed on top of a Toob Metro 6.5BG speaker - it all fits in a small sports bag and weighs nothing for 200w solid state output. Lots of comments over at jazzguitar.be. I run a Fender tre-verb in front but hall of fame or any other decent reverb pedal will do...... Always useful to have an eq pedal to help you fine-tune your sound for each venue - I have an mxr 6-band

Last edited by Ray175; 03-25-2021 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-24-2021, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Default Jazz amps Rivera.

I've watched a lot of videos and my favorites are the Rivera Jazz Recording 50 single channel and the two channel, older, Rivera Jazz Suprema that has the clean channel the Jazz Recording was modeled after. The second channel is not for jazz, having more gain. Anybody with Rivera experience and opinions?
Old 03-24-2021, 12:08 PM

[deleted post]
Old 03-25-2021, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Rivera Jazz Recording 50

Rivera Jazz Recording 50 shipped today...........ES-175 (1954 burst) arrived yesterday. 1956 ES-175 DN arriving Monday. Fun to come next week when Rivera amp lands!

Thanks to those who provided input!

Bruce
Old 03-26-2021, 05:40 PM

Holland Amps Jazz 50.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:48 AM

SO many choices ...I second what many have said here.
My favorite is my 1966 Ampeg Gemini VI but no way it leaves the house because it`s so heavy and bulky.
I`ve been through Quilter 101, Acoustic Image Chorus, Demeter Mighty Mini and to me the Henriksen is the clear winner over the other lightweight solutions.
That said ...I`ve been on a search for some serious iron with octals to get a deep punchy grunt over a drummer .
I have a Sano 2 x 7591 head.... in search for a lighter Ampeg sound.
I have a feeling that those power tubes are a big part of the Ampeg sound that I love.
AND ...I commissioned an FYD Town & Country ...2 x KT88 with octal pre.
Played one and loved it and ordered one. It still hasn`t got me sold.
My next experiment is the Milkman "the Amp" as a hopeful light package that still carries a tube fingerprint.
Anyne in the archtop world settled on the Milkman?
I WILL be getting one.
BTW ...my archtop is a 15" Koll sand F holes with Guild mini`s so the goal is a hybrid between a 335 and an L5 ...hopefully more L 5

Here`s an example of me and some friends through a Henriksen ...keep in mind the video cam has its own compression.
https://youtu.be/vV5IoYiGFwU?t=13
Old 05-23-2021, 11:13 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooWahmBah View Post
...My favorite is my 1966 Ampeg Gemini VI but no way it leaves the house because it's so heavy and bulky...
Those Gemini combos were the go-to amps for in-the-trenches NYC musicians in the '60s; the "Key Club" (NYC's A-list answer to the Funk Brothers/Wrecking Crew) set up a batch of them in the NYC studios - along with B-15's for the bassists and B12-XT's for the keyboard players (and the occasional guitarist who wanted a fatter Twin-style tone) - whose on/off switch was replaced with a tubular lock (hence the name), and keys only available to select players through AFM 802. Used a few of those Gemini I/II combos back then myself, and an organist buddy used to run his Farfisa Compact Duo through a B-12XT (complete with personalized Portaflex nameplate); shame Ampeg never promoted the -XT - if you ever have the chance to play through a good one you'll never be satisfied with a blackface Twin again...

Quote:
I have a Sano 2 x 7591 head...in search for a lighter Ampeg sound...
FYI there's a certain amount of common DNA (Gregg Hopkins' book Ampeg: The Story Behind the Sound covers it in more detail), and while not in common use among other guitar amp manufacturers some of the early hi-fi guys (Fisher in particular) used them with some regularity in their low/mid-powered power/integrated amps - which leads me to:

Quote:
I have a feeling that those power tubes are a big part of the Ampeg sound that I love.
They are - especially with the octal preamp tubes used in the pre-1965 small combos, including the top-panel/no 'verb Rocket R-12A I bought brand-new in 1964 (Ampeg guru Dennis Kager checked it out shortly before his passing, and said it was one of the very first ones he worked on when he joined the Linden operation); a lot of guys made the mistake of converting to 6V6 (actually used in the first-edition Rockets - the "A": used 7591's) or 6L6 when NOS 7591's became difficult to find - fortunately they've been re-sourced through the former Soviet-bloc tube manufacturers, so they can be restored to spec...

Quote:
AND...I commissioned an FYD Town & Country...2 x KT88 with octal pre...
This sounds interesting - I played through a 200W Marshal Major with KT88's about 40 years ago, and unless you've strapped into a dragster and hammered the throttle (I have) there's nothing that compares to the experience. Wonder if Dan Lurie can build you an octal preamp stage with a Baxandall-type Gemini tone stack - a little bit of Linden-era tonal mojo with SVT-style "big clean" grunt should make for great headroom for a jazz-oriented amp...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 05-23-2021 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

My 1963 Ampeg Gemini II sounds awesome with my 29 stewart archtop and a cling on pick up on the end of trapeze tailpiece, can produce a very clean jazzy sound.

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom

Last edited by ssstewart; 05-23-2021 at 12:22 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 12-29-2021, 12:33 AM

Default DV Mark Guitar Friend 1x12

Hands down, the DV Mark Guitar Friend 12 small, powerful, very light, and with huge jazz tone, this ended my search for a quality jazz combo amp without having to spend a ton of money.

Cheers,
Arnie..

Click here to see in action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Bfvt2uYyc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bnV3XTP-sk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9PJZLAOnEM
Old 01-04-2022, 02:37 AM

DV Mark 12 Jazz - I use with my Ibanez AS200
Another vote for the DV Line - made in Italy. This one the DC Mark 1 Jazz - purpose made for the job.
50W RMS@8ohm, beautiful clean tones for pretty much anything, takes pedals really well. It works very nicely for a stand alone acoustic amp too.
Weighs only an unbelievable 19 lbs. Also available as a 212.

http://www.dvmark.it/product-detail/dv-jazz-12/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skEAFRF9vK8
1950s/60s Baritone Ukelele K&K
2020 Fender Limited Edition Jazzmaster Pure Vintage
'65 Pickups, & Series/Parallel 4-Way
Fender Supersonic 22" combo

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers
Old 01-07-2022, 04:44 PM

Only one vote for the AER Cube 60 so far. Here is a second. For me just the right mix of tone, portability, and a good second channel. Very versatile little amp and easy to gig with. The carrying bag has enough pockets to carry a ton of stuff.

Downside? Mine is about 15 years old at least, it only has 24v of phantom power on channel 2. I think the newer ones have 48.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops