The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-25-2017, 02:49 PM

Default McPherson Guitars: Owned and Sold...Why?

Hello all, I have recently been in the market for a McPherson Guitar but have run into a few people telling me to keep my Collings dreads and Martins or others as I would be disappointed by the McPherson. I was looking at 4.0-5.0 sizes and have always been a dread or Taylor grand symphony size body player with an emphasis on strumming vs finger picking. I was curious to know from those who have owned and sold why? Or from those who “upgraded” and kept them. I currently have a Collings CW, Collings D2H Torrefied, Taylor 810e, Martin HD-28V and a Martin D18 but have owned a host of other acoustics along the way as well. I know it is always a matter of personal preference but I am genuinely interested in your personal preferences and why you kept or why you sold! Thanks!
Old 11-25-2017, 05:06 PM

I've played quite a few and always thought they were lacking tonal character. The last one I played was several years ago. I was looking for a decent acoustic steel string and I A/B'd the McPherson with other small builder guitars that were there. My ears bought the Goodall.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

I've owned a few McPherson guitars over the years. I sold them because I think Goodall guitars sound better. They are also more responsive. I've played probably 20 McPherson's and 35 Goodalls. It seems like you have to strum on McPherson's hard to get power out of them other wise they are quite subdued. The Goodalls come alive with amazing power and presence with a light touch and they get really powerful and beautiful sounding when you play them hard.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:17 PM

Thank you both! I will have to track down a Goodall at some point to try them out. I haven’t ever played one unfortunately.

Please keep the advice coming please and thank you!

Zach
Old 11-25-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schzacj View Post
Hello all, I have recently been in the market for a McPherson Guitar but have run into a few people telling me to keep my Collings dreads and Martins or others as I would be disappointed by the McPherson.
It would help to know why you want one?
Old 11-25-2017, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
I've owned a few McPherson guitars over the years. I sold them because I think Goodall guitars sound better. They are also more responsive. I've played probably 20 McPherson's and 35 Goodalls. It seems like you have to strum on McPherson's hard to get power out of them other wise they are quite subdued. The Goodalls come alive with amazing power and presence with a light touch and they get really powerful and beautiful sounding when you play them hard.
Bought one McPherson at Mandolin brothers but sold it 3 months later mainly because the neck shape bothered my wrist. But even if it did not, the guitar felt very stiff (not sure how to explain it, maybe mechanical). It felt like it would never break in and allow me to play it comfortably. It was very well made and the woods were beautiful. But I never enjoyed playing the guitar.
I responded to your post particularly because I also like Goodall guitars which are almost the exact opposite of McPherson to me. I even went to Rudy's bought one the first day it came in. Played it and it felt very comfortable. It was so easy to play it felt "broken in" straight out of the box.

Last edited by baimo; 11-25-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:57 PM

Tone is subjective. Anyone who says they don't like the sound of McPherson guitars are likely telling the truth, but it may not be your truth. People like the sound of Martins, some, including me, do not. Some like the sound of Collings, some do not; I think they are o.k., but not spectacular for the given price.

My acoustic guitars are all Taylors, all Grand Symphony size. I love them all; 616ce, K26ce and 916ce. Tonally they all offer something different and something I like. I'll be happy with them the rest of my life (the K26ce is my favorite). BUT I still have a goal of owning a McPherson down the line. The factory is just 60 miles down the road from where I live. I've played many, many of them. As with any brand, some sound better than others to my ears, but they all sound good....to me--actually better than just "good." Some don't sound good enough...for my ears, to part with the money. But 2 or 3 have made me drool and I know that I want one and someday will have one. I frankly have no other aspirations for any other high end guitar.

Don't listen to others evaluations. Evaluate on your own, with an open mind and a blank slate. Make a choice based upon YOUR tastes, YOUR ears and YOUR pocket book. To do otherwise will drive you in circles, make you doubt yourself and your ears and make you start babbling to yourself. Everyone has their own favorites and likes. Find your own, don't borrow others. It'll lead you down the road of dissatisfaction and disappointment.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
Tone is subjective. Anyone who says they don't like the sound of McPherson guitars are likely telling the truth, but it may not be your truth. People like the sound of Martins, some, including me, do not. Some like the sound of Collings, some do not; I think they are o.k., but not spectacular for the given price.

My acoustic guitars are all Taylors, all Grand Symphony size. I love them all; 616ce, K26ce and 916ce. Tonally they all offer something different and something I like. I'll be happy with them the rest of my life (the K26ce is my favorite). BUT I still have a goal of owning a McPherson down the line. The factory is just 60 miles down the road from where I live. I've played many, many of them. As with any brand, some sound better than others to my ears, but they all sound good....to me--actually better than just "good." Some don't sound good enough...for my ears, to part with the money. But 2 or 3 have made me drool and I know that I want one and someday will have one. I frankly have no other aspirations for any other high end guitar.

Don't listen to others evaluations. Evaluate on your own, with an open mind and a blank slate. Make a choice based upon YOUR tastes, YOUR ears and YOUR pocket book. To do otherwise will drive you in circles, make you doubt yourself and your ears and make you start babbling to yourself. Everyone has their own favorites and likes. Find your own, don't borrow others. It'll lead you down the road of dissatisfaction and disappointment.
Well spoken and very sound advice.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
It would help to know why you want one?
I don’t know why exactly to be honest. I have always thought the design was unique and different, the tone woods always look amazing and the sound from a few I played seemed great. It’s more of a G.A.S. Thing I’m sure
Old 11-25-2017, 08:37 PM

I preface this with, I have not owned one.
I have played a few of them.
I’ve played a number of great and memorable guitars.
None of the McPherson guitars I’ve played can I remember.
They were beautiful looking Instruments.
But I can’t remember how they played or sounded.

I played an old Bourgeois the same day that I can’t remember the model number of. But I remember it felt alive in my hands. It nearly made played itself.
There was a 1969 Martin D35 that was also amazing.
And they weren’t the “stars” of that particular trip.

Perhaps I don’t have the ear.
I don’t know. But as has been said, they were kind of “blah” tonally to me.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 11-25-2017, 09:11 PM

I took a certain unnamed luthier built guitar into a high-end shop to have someone look it over as I was considering the purchase. At the same time I looked at their most expensive guitars that would have priced comprable to what I was considering buying and the McPherson they had on the wall was listed at 15 k. After the owners and I did an A B test we were sort of Blown Away... the McPherson did not even seem to be in the same league by a longshot. Unresponsive by comparison and stiff
Old 11-25-2017, 09:41 PM

As a current McPherson owner, I will give you another perspective. I have a 5.0XP with a Redwood top and Rosewood back and sides and I love it. Of course, like all McPhersons, this guitar is built like a tank (it is substantial to hold), looks like a piece of art (I love the color gradations and striping of the Redwood) and it plays amazingly well. I love the feel of this guitar in my hands and (at least to my ear) has incredible tonal qualities - both deep but distinct at the same time. The sustain is unbelievable. I have heard McPhersons called the "grand piano" of guitars and I can attest to this sound. Whether played acoustically or amplified, the tone shines. When I play live, I plug into an Avalon U5 connected to a LR Baggs A-Ref amp. The highs are crystal clear and the low notes rumble and sustain. I know this review is biased, but I for one LOVE the look and sound of this guitar.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:41 PM

I've owned a McPherson Camrielle and no longer do - have played quite a few MG's over time. My Camrielle was gorgeous, visually stunning and easy to play.

First off, McPhersons are very well made, heavily constructed guitars with built in electronics. I am of the belief that any manufacturer or shop that builds AE guitars with electronics as a standard part of their package, is producing an electric guitar that doubles as an acoustic. Sometimes one has to custom order one of these guitars without the electronics. As such, the guitars are primarily designed to be played plugged in for performance purposes. When one does that, premium wood sets are not normally used but more colorful, pretty woods are used that attract the eye and not necessarily the ear.

I found this to be true of my Camrielle but not of all the MG's I played - some sounded quite good but never on par of a true acoustic guitar such as a Collings, Martin, Froggy, Huss and Dalton dread or my Goodall. To me, and compared to the makers just listed and several others that come to mind, McPhersons are built like a tank.

If one wants a good sounding acoustic guitar, they should probably approach that desire first in any guitar they are seeking, then add an aftermarket pickup to their purchase. A variety of different pickups and approaches to getting the sound from the guitar to eventually come out of speakers or headphones can be had depending on the players/owners ambitions and personal taste. One does not have to settle for the electronics the maker has chosen.

I sold the MGC because in my regular rotation of guitars played acoustically, it had it's acoustic tonal qualities, just not on the same page as what I was hoping to hear from a guitar that I was playing. Just after I sold it, McPherson appeared to cut back production dramatically, raised new sales prices substantially and looks to have gone primarily custom shop or carbon boxes with their line.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:53 AM

The single mcpherson i have played was very muted when played. One of the least responsive solid wood guitars i have played. It may be an outlier and other McPhersons may be much better.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:07 AM
Charter Member

You already have some mighty fine guitars, but there is nothing wrong with seeking another guitar that has a different sound or feel to what you already have. McPhersons will certainly give you that, as will the Goodalls mentioned by others. I've owned Goodalls and played several McPhersons, but my personal preference goes to a modern sound exemplified by Mike Baranik's guitars.

All three builders offer beautifully crafted instruments; I hope you can find opportunities to play examples of work by these builders and others to find what suits you. And be prepared to change your thoughts. I once went into Music Emporium really excited to be able to try a guitar by one particular builder, but I left ME really excited about a guitar by a builder that previously I had not even heard of!

Good luck,
Col

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bourgeois, collings, kinnairs, mcpherson, santa cruz