The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-22-2016, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Failed to pull the trigger, now some non-buyer's remorse

About 6 months ago I purchased a 2002 Bourgeois prototype Jumbo. While I've enjoyed it, I have never been able to truly bond with it. Today I took it with me to a local mom & pop shop with the intention of using it as trade bait. Long story short, I fell in love with a 1996 Santa Cruez 000. I've always been a Dread guy but this Santa Cruz felt just right.

Everyone is smiling until we start talking numbers. Both guitars in like kind condition. Both with excellent hardshell cases. But, the shop wants mine plus another $500 dollars. We parted amicably and I replayed the whole event in my mind all the way home.

I still believe that the out of pocket difference was too high. I hoping that someone here can either reinforce that belief or show me the error of my thought process. I surely did enjoy playing the SC000.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:02 PM

Perhaps you can try negotiating with someone else when the other person isn't there. You never know.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

maybe consider this.
its a flip of the coin if it works to your benefit, but here goes.

put a deposit on the Santa Cruz, list yours here in the classifieds and hope to sell it for enough to clear the Santa Cruz. with a cash buy you might do a little better with them.

regarding the sale of yours-just think of it as having a $500 wiggle room to negotiate. in the end, if you do have to drop $500, its no different than having traded.

trades are usually more difficult to come out even than outright sales or buys, imo.

d
Old 07-22-2016, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Shops need to make a profit. Even if the guitars had equal market value, a $500 difference in this price range is not unreasonable to get a guitar you like much better.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 07-22-2016, 08:28 PM

Get what you want - get what's right for you.

Don't let dollars be in the way if at all possible - after a while, you'll have more than your monies worth.
Not often you can trade in a guitar, or someone will take what you have as value on what they have, and be that close.
It is much better than trying to sell, then buy.

By then, it may be a really nice guitar and it'll be gone.

Go get it - you'll be glad you did.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:41 PM

What would it cost you to rent a guitar of that level for six months? You could look at it that way, I suppose.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesdad View Post
Get what you want - get what's right for you.

Don't let dollars be in the way if at all possible - after a while, you'll have more than your monies worth.
Not often you can trade in a guitar, or someone will take what you have as value on what they have, and be that close.
It is much better than trying to sell, then buy.

By then, it may be a really nice guitar and it'll be gone.

Go get it - you'll be glad you did.
Sounds like you've already received your best answer here ^^^
Old 07-22-2016, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Sage advice

While I always try to get the best possible deal, I always remember the advice my father gave me: Quality is remembered, long after price is forgotten. Best of luck on your decision.

Taylorcrazy_____________

Old 07-22-2016, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

In 1996 Roy McAlister was working at SCGC and voicing tops. I'd jump at rhe chance for one of those. Remember, the shop has to hold your guitar until they can sell it.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
What would it cost you to rent a guitar of that level for six months? You could look at it that way, I suppose.
I was going to post pretty much the same thing. Think of the 500 as rent for using your old guitar for the 6 months you had it.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-22-2016, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Give 'em the $500 - you'll never miss it years from now, but you'll still be loving the 000 -
Old 07-22-2016, 09:55 PM

There are plenty of fine guitars out there. No need to worry too much; these aren't one-of-a-kind instruments. Sell yours and then buy another.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:02 PM

Let the dealer make a buck. Nowadays I'm going out of my way to buy from a retailer, because I want them to stay in business. My son has Beaugeois SJ and I have a 00 Santa Cruz. To my completely biased ears, the SC is worth the extra money.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:43 PM

I would put the Bour. up for sale. When it sells, buy the other. Or, I believe it was posted above, put a down-payment (lay-away) if possible and sell yours. Either way if the SC is more to your liking, buy it if you can swing it financially. If not, appreciate that you likely have a wonderful guitar in your Bourgeios.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorcrazy View Post
While I always try to get the best possible deal, I always remember the advice my father gave me: Quality is remembered, long after price is forgotten. Best of luck on your decision.
Home run from dad!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bourgeois, santa cruz