The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2016, 10:37 AM

Default Eastman E20SS vs Pono D-30--GAS

Okay, yesterday I went cruising my local music stores and played the Eastman E20SS and the E10SS for the first time. I was blown away by the quality and price point. I know I'll get some flak but reality tells me I may have one more guitar purchase in my lifetime (I'm 63 and I already have 7 instruments that will have to go to the old folks home with me) and I want it to be a good one. I cannot justify spending 3-4K for a Huss & Dalton, Martin or a Collings so I must find the best possible for around $1500 or less. I know there are nice Martins in this price range but none have impressed me like the Easman. I've read all the Pono threads (over and over) and I get the feeling maybe the D-30 or similar may be the way to go but I've never held one in my hands and those Eastman's are really nice. Can I get some membership feedback from those of you who have played both? Also, anyone in the Kansas City area that has a Pono you might allow me to play? Just asking and thanks.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 03-13-2016, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

I've not played any Ponos, though obviously they have many fans here and I look forward to trying one some day. I've played many Eastmans and owned an E20D, one of the finest dreads ever and for me the one that got away. You can't really go wrong if you find one that does it for you, and of course they are a major bargain. Will not be surprised if the current generation of Eastmans become sleeper hits in the used market some day. I'm going to get another one for sure. Good luck with the search.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 03-13-2016, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

I'm a huge fan of PONO, but have never played a larger one, but with a budget like that you could get a very lightly used Martin D18 or some such.

And you are way too young to be thinking last guitar. Heck, if you are shopping dread, your body isn't even falling apart yet.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-13-2016, 12:46 PM

I will vote again for the 00018. ponos have a lot of people who bought then and loved them, then a month later a ton were for sale. maybe just my opinion that says something. eastman with adirondack tops are listed quite bit on reverb with bellys and warped top. Tells me too thin of tops or bracing which may make them sound great but proving that they may not hold up in the long run
Old 03-13-2016, 01:06 PM

Eastman. Do not pass Go...

KLEPPER Guitars - Custom build
12-fret, 15" "SSD". 24.9"scale

Guild 1964 M20
Eastman e20 00
Baby Taylor (99)
Alvarez Yairi DY60 - 1995
Ibanez SR600 Walnut electric bass & amp.
Ultrasonic AG-15 acoustic amp
Old 03-13-2016, 01:22 PM

You can't go wrong with either but my vote would be with Pono.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Blueridges seem nice too from the videos and member feedback here. I keep looking at the BR-371........

Many people here love their Pono's and I just may have to get one also this summer, I'm waiting to see a certain new model they are talking about. I saw some on sale also, but you always going to see people selling here. I don't think selling a guitar is a slam on the guitar. People have different tastes.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-13-2016, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

I happen to own both and find that they are both great players. You won't go wrong with either. The thing you'd want to consider is the the nut. The Pono is at 1 3/4 and the Eastman is at 1 11/16. I have found the Pono to be a little brighter with clear note separation making it idea for finger style and it can take a hard driving hand as well......perfect for a singer song writer. The Eastman can do it all as well but with a different tonal quality.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

I owned an Eastman E20-ss. Such a great slope. For what it's worth, with its rosewood and the way it braced, it sounds much more like a slightly tamer Martin D35 than it doesn't any J45 I have ever played.

So if you want a short scale, pretty sounding, easy to play slope that sounds like a D35... This is your guitar.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:58 PM

Brick- you are right, I'm not in bad shape of any kind yet but you don't know my wife. She believes that one is enough. Why would I possibly need two? It's been 7 years since I bought my last guitar and there is always that putting our kid through college nonsense once we get her through high school. And then I'll be about ready to retire on top of that and on and on with other financial issues that must come first. That stuff never stops. But I will work something out.

I used to have a D-28 once before I got married and it was a nice guitar. I'm just not a big fan of the Martin tone so much. They still make great guitars, just haven't found one that really jumps out at me.

The nut on the Eastman really does not bother me. I actually like that as it adds to the play-ability for me. I try to play a variety of styles and I can easily play about anything on the Eastman that I want. I've noticed that most of the Pono videos are using a drop D or DADGAD tuning which give any guitar a much more deep tonal quality. I haven't heard too many Pono's in standard tuning but I can still decipher how great they sound from the videos. And especially with the return policy they have, it's really hard not to give them a lot of consideration.

Thanks so far for the responses everyone. But the opinions seem to be pretty split down the middle. We'll see how the search goes.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 03-13-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper59 View Post
... eastman with adirondack tops are listed quite bit on reverb with bellys and warped top. Tells me too thin of tops or bracing which may make them sound great but proving that they may not hold up in the long run
I enjoy Reverb and I read lots of For Sale ads there... I suppose there may have been a few, but I have never seen a single Eastman ad describing bellies, warping, or any other structural issue. Please don't mischarachterize Eastman, they are a quality brand.

Disclosure: I own and E10P and an E10D.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 03-13-2016, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Blueridges seem nice too from the videos and member feedback here. I keep looking at the BR-371........

Many people here love their Pono's and I just may have to get one also this summer, I'm waiting to see a certain new model they are talking about. I saw some on sale also, but you always going to see people selling here. I don't think selling a guitar is a slam on the guitar. People have different tastes.
And some people bought four of them all at once.

May I also suggest a USA Guild. Many fine older Guilds to be had for your budget.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-13-2016, 08:31 PM

I'm not familiar with the Eastman guitars, but I do have a Pono and a D-18...

I vote for getting a D-18. Martins are the gold standard of guitars. Everybody knows about them, and the D-18 has proven itself over time. Mine is about 40 years old and plays and sounds just as nice as the day I bought it 40 years ago.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 03-13-2016, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

I currently have an E10D and E20D and used to own an E10SS, which I stupidly sold. I'd like to get it back. Eastman guitars are the fo' shizzle!
Old 03-14-2016, 11:36 AM

Never played a PONO and do own an E20-SS.....I also have a few boutique builds.....The Eastman is as enjoyable as any I own.It's also made exceptionally well.

Good luck

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
eastman, pono