The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-09-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
Please share any thoughts, advice or suggestions.
Nicely done!

There are "two schools" of thought on achieving "rubbed" high gloss finishes. One sands as high as possible with sheet abrasives, then switches to polishing compounds, the other does a minimum of sanding, stopping at 600 or 800 or 1200, then switches to two or more - usually more - polishing compounds. Comparable results can be achieved by either.

In my experience, less effort is required in using polishing compounds, after the finish is dead-flat. Particularly if one uses a buffing wheel, be it stand-alone or chucked in a drill or drill press, or automatic polisher.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:56 AM

Looks like you did a fine job, Joe! I don't think there is too much I can add at this point other than this information for your future repairs that doesn't really apply to your present job.

When cracks are going to leave a gap, the filler material - titebond or similar, CA, home-made wood-fill (ie: your choice of glue with wood dust) - will determine the final visibility of the gap.

For example, this year I have had to repair a few jet black ebony fingerboards. I use titebond 3 mixed with fine ebony dust for this. Titebond 3 is waterproof, so will wear well on a fingerboard. This produces a sometimes invisible ebony gap fill, and when it is visible, it is only barely so.

Side cracks with a gap can be repaired with mahogany, rosewood, or other applicable dust to yield a near invisible repair. Since side cracks can be filled then covered with finish if desired, non-waterproof wood glues can be safely used.

Top cracks can be tougher to repair invisibly if there is a gap to fill.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
crack, side crack