The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 10-20-2013, 03:20 PM

Default WTB: Alvarez Yairi DY-88

Hi guys,

New member here, and I'm really hoping you can help.

In the 90s, I played in a Jazz stage band. I used a DY-88 that the stage owned and I loved it. It was blue, and the wood under the strings was wore down from me playing it so much.

Unfortunately, after playing it daily for 6 years and carting it all across North America, it was taken one night. I ended up picking up an old telecaster. I've owned lots of guitars since, a Gibson ES-175, songbird, a few taylors, a Larivee - but I always think about that Yairi.

It wasn't a crazy expensive guitar, and it wasn't in great shape, and some of the other guitars I've owned played and sounded better - but it was one of my most treasured memories from growing up and I would love to find one again.

I've been looking for a few years but I can't ever seem to find one listed, so if anyone has one or knows where to look, It would mean a lot to me.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2013, 12:45 PM

Bump - still looking.
Thanks.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:27 PM

I'll pay $60 to anyone who gives me info on a dy88 that I end up buying.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:04 PM

I'll send an email if I come across one

Last edited by tomana; 10-01-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:53 PM

Default Dy-88

This one just sold on eBay

Alvarez Yairi DY-88 Thinline Acoustic Electric Guitar See original listing

Item condition:Used
Ended: Oct 17, 2013 03:20:16 PDT
Winning bid:US $665.00
[ 64 bids ]
Shipping: FREE Standard Shipping
Item location:Sugar Land, Texas, United States
Seller:
dragonlam (4684 ) | Seller's other items
Old 10-23-2013, 01:08 PM

Probably doesn't help you, but there's an SY-88 in craigslist

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/msg/4146848939.html

Good luck on the search!
Old 10-30-2013, 04:40 PM

Default Know what you mean

I have a DY-88 12 string that outperforms every 12 string I've ever played except an old Rickenbacker (McGuinn era). I acually saw one for sale on eBay a few months back and couldn't believe that someone was that hard up (or stupid) to part with it. I've had trouble playing due to Arthritis and some strength issues. May have to give mine up at some point (my nine 6 strings will have to do!). If you're interested, I could put your contact in for in the case and let you know before I sell on eBay. [email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostocean View Post
Hi guys,

New member here, and I'm really hoping you can help.

In the 90s, I played in a Jazz stage band. I used a DY-88 that the stage owned and I loved it. It was blue, and the wood under the strings was wore down from me playing it so much.

Unfortunately, after playing it daily for 6 years and carting it all across North America, it was taken one night. I ended up picking up an old telecaster. I've owned lots of guitars since, a Gibson ES-175, songbird, a few taylors, a Larivee - but I always think about that Yairi.

It wasn't a crazy expensive guitar, and it wasn't in great shape, and some of the other guitars I've owned played and sounded better - but it was one of my most treasured memories from growing up and I would love to find one again.

I've been looking for a few years but I can't ever seem to find one listed, so if anyone has one or knows where to look, It would mean a lot to me.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2013, 09:29 PM

Talking

There's an absolutely gorgeous Yairi DY 61 for sale here on the forum...sick deal
Old 11-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Rock & Roll Doctor's guitar

Hello Ghost,

I have a blue DY-88 that I purchased used from Elderly Instruments years ago as a big fan of Chris Smither who used to play one before switching to Collings.

I don't know it's age, but it is in very good shape. The plating on the gold tuners is worn and there are some light swirls on the top finish, but no deep scratches, dings, or cracks. No worn wood spots either on the fingerboard or body !

I love the sound of it, even unplugged, but I like a wider fingerboard and string spread at the saddle, so it doesn't get played much. Like a lot of folks I've collected too many guitars over the years and if you are going to use and enjoy it maybe it is time to move it on. I was eventually going to put this and a Takamine 132SC up for sale, but I've been dragging my feet about doing it.

If intersted send me a message and we can talk.

I'm looking for $800, plus shipping. Shipping to continental US only. I'm including a hardshell case which is a good if not perfect fit (it came in a chipboard case) and a new set of tuners, which are not A-Ys, but are a good fit. The original tuners are still on the guitar and work OK.

Mark

Last edited by MCDEMO1; 11-03-2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Added asking price
Old 12-23-2013, 01:58 PM

I recently reached out to all the acoustic groups looking for one - including the Yahoo Alvarez Yairi group for a used Dy-88. I even ended up assisting a couple of like minded people by pointing out 2 used ones on the Guitar Center's Used Page. (I live in Canada and GC won't ship here)...I was pretty particular in what I wanted - it had to be black and it had to have the 600 MkII pickup system, not the 400 or 500.

I suggest doing what I eventually did: - These guitars are still made in Japan as reissues by K. Yairi - but they're called the YD-88 (not DY!), I kid you not. I bought mine from Ishibashi Music for $1100 (seemingly) brand new with case candy. Isibashi is incredibly courteous, grateful for your business and provides prompt communication and shipping. My Guitar reached Toronto in 48 hours after Paying with Paypal! (Shipping was $120)...It's a fantastic guitar, I can't say enough good things about it - its plugged in sound is fabulous.

Good Luck !
Old 01-07-2014, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

There are a couple of DY88 on -bay.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:46 AM

Default I have one.

Amazing guitar. Flamed maple back and sides, quilted maple top. Gold hardware. Email me for pics if interested. [email protected]
Old 06-29-2014, 06:38 PM

Default DY-88 12 string

I have a DY-88 12 string up on eBay right now.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:11 PM

Default Dy-88

I have one I will sell. Blk good cond.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:59 PM

I have several of them, Blue and Black. I was introduced to the guitar by Chis Smither in the very early 90's. Paul McCartney plays a black one from time to time and Patty Larkin had one but didn't like playing it unplugged. Luka Bloom has two, one Black and a white.

It is a very good guitar with a very unique sound providing styling and distinction for those that do play them. I have a Collings and several others that I use more frequently now but I do from time to time take the DY88 out on the road for a work out. I love the guitars! They are not "fine" instruments but sure are great!

I am looking for a 12 DY88 myself now. If anyone has a line on one, please post here. If you want to hear one, listen to the Lightning Hopkins' tune "Blues in The Bottle performed by Chris Smither. ( I am Also looking for a Martin D-28 12).

All the best

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
acoustic, alvarez, dy-88, wtb, yairi