The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-14-2013, 06:46 PM

Default Should I try to fix Resonator broken neck heel?

I just bought a Regal RC-57 brand new for $375. They are usually around $7-800. When it arrived today the neck heel was cracked as shown in the attached picture. The seller says when he shipped it, there was no crack.
He will honor his 14 day return policy so I'm not worried about that part.

My question is that for the price I paid, should I try to have it fixed rather than return it? It's a pretty straightforward repair however it is in a spot that probably gets lots of stress. The seller would probably even give me some of my money back if I keep it. He'd rather do that than go through the return process and filing a claim with the shipping company.

Just looking for some wisdom from those in the know. What would you do if you could get a brand new Regal RC-57 for around $2-250 (hoping the seller will give me a couple hundred back if I keep it)?

Thanks in advance.
http://www.evernote.com/shard/s188/s...dd50683135e1a2

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s188/s...005d825d7b224f
Old 05-15-2013, 07:07 PM

My guess is that it's a bolt on neck that has no dowel in the stacked heel. I don't know what you would be charged for a repair or if you would be comfortable to repair it yourself. If it is it is a bolt on stacked heel with no dowel I would put one in. If you wish to hide the dowel you will need to put a heel cap on it.

Jeff.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:06 AM

It appears to me that the glue joint at the heel lamination failed, which means it might not be the easy fix you anticipate. There's usually a bit of glue residue on the (formerly) joined surfaces that can compromise the integrity of a subsequent reglue even if reinforced with a dowel.
It's definitely your call, but I'd send it back for the refund.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
neck crack, neck repair, regal, regal rc57, resonator