The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-09-2021, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
It has been so long since I've eaten popcorn, I have to admit I don't remember it. But since I'm very capable of doing so, I probably have.
I stopped eating popcorn over a year ago after my 2nd root canal in two years. I think crunching on those kernels every night may not have been the best for my teeth.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:18 AM

I didn’t do it, but a guy on my cooking crew at summer camp in Boy Scouts substituted baking soda for baking powder when making morning biscuits.

They were very small, flat, hard, and totally inedible, but they were great for skipping on the lake.

He didn’t get biscuit duty again.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 05-09-2021, 09:24 AM

Happens frequently. When cooking, we might not have some item that the recipe specifies. So we go hmmm ... lets use some of that other thing. Usually, it works out just fine - as long as we know what to expect from "that other thing".
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-09-2021, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

First wife had never cooked with fresh garlic. Recipe called for 2 cloves. She used 2 heads. On the plus side, we were never bothered by vampires again.......
Old 05-09-2021, 10:09 AM

Early one sleepy morning I put salt instead of sugar on my cheerios, does that count? Woke me right up.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
Early one sleepy morning I put salt instead of sugar on my cheerios, does that count? Woke me right up.
I was waiting for someone to post the 'salt instead of sugar on cereal' mistake. Yea, that would be terrible.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Homemade peach cobbler about 20yr ago.
Never made it before, misread how much sugar to mix in the recipe...poured like 5 times the amount the recipe called for!
It was beautiful, the house smelled delicious while it baked...couldn't wait to dig in.
First bite was so overly sweet, tried another taste...yuck.
It was so sugary that it was inedible...threw it away.
Last try at baking from scratch..
Old 05-09-2021, 12:46 PM

Perhaps abit on a peripheral topic, but reading the posts here,
reminds me of the story my step-dad would tell of someone who lacked food preparation skills to the point that one day they “burned the coleslaw.”

How do you do that?!?

Apparently too much was made for a large gathering (or it was so awful no one ate any), so it was put in the freezer for another day.
Well, that day came and the big blob was set out to thaw.
That process was taking too long, so it was put in the oven to speed things up, got forgotten, and yes, the coleslaw was burned.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

While cooking at a friends house I tried to thicken the garlic plum sauce (that would be used on the lamb) with no success. Apparently confectioners sugar won’t thicken a sauce as well as flour.

Unfortunate.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Ever put the wrong ingredient when cooking?

Seemingly related:
I once grilled steaks for the extended family. We had lots of side to choose from to go with the beef.
For dessert we were going to have apple pie al a mode. I had made homemade caramel to drizzle over the top of the pie and ice cream.
Out of the corner of my eye I see my stepdad standing at the stove, ladling caramel over his steak and veggies.

He thought I had made some gravy.

Last edited by TRose; 05-09-2021 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:02 AM

I once knew someone who had a medical condition that meant he had no sense of smell, one of his work duties involved cooking for paying (not alot) customers. Was always burning stuff but at least he could see it was burn't when it came out of the oven, one day he cooked up a sponge cake with jam filling, looked fine but the customer returned it with the comment 'I think there's been a terrible mistake'. The 'strawberry jam' sponge filling was actually tomatoe pizza topping.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
A veritable cereal killer, aren’t you?

<Ba Dum Tsh> Ahem, sorry … I’ll see my own way out, thanks!

Old 05-10-2021, 07:58 AM

I'm a big fan of chocolate chip cookies so I asked my wife to teach me how to make them. (In the interest of full disclosure, I don't cook or bake. I grill, but I don't cook.)

When it came time to put vanilla into the mix, I misunderstood the recipe and put in one TABLESPOON instead of one TEASPOON.

I enjoyed them a lot but they were some of the richest tasting ones I'd had in a long time!

Best,
PJ
Old 05-10-2021, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
I'm a big fan of chocolate chip cookies so I asked my wife to teach me how to make them. (In the interest of full disclosure, I don't cook or bake. I grill, but I don't cook.)

When it came time to put vanilla into the mix, I misunderstood the recipe and put in one TABLESPOON instead of one TEASPOON.

I enjoyed them a lot but they were some of the richest tasting ones I'd had in a long time!

Best,
PJ
I always put in more vanilla than they say too... it's
like bacon: it makes stuff better ...

-Mike
Old 05-10-2021, 09:39 AM

I was a kitchen manager in an Italian/American theme restaurant many years back and one of the prep cooks called out on a Saturday morning when all the pre prep gets done for that evenings service.

A very large seller on the dinner menu was stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer. Wanting to help my team out I said I would prep the trays of mushrooms for that service. At some point while assembling the stuffing mix I put in three heaping TABLESPOONS of cayenne pepper instead of three level TEASPOONS. Watch out! Those mushroom caps were stuffed with FIRE! Thankfully it was only one tray of product I totally destroyed and was caught before it was offered to the public!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic