The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 02:16 PM

Default Santa Cruz Otis Taylor Signature - **TRADED"

These don't come around very often at all....

Otis Taylor is a fellow of the Sundance Film Composers Laboratory and a multi-instrumentalist who has shared the stage with artists as varied as Gary Moore, Buddy Guy and Keb Mo. He is the most important modern voice of Trance Blues. Otis Taylor required very specific tonal and aesthetic qualities for his signature instrument. As a fine arts professional, Otis Taylor’s vision is a combination of vintage retro and ultra sharp European styling; this guitar looks like an expensive Italian suit from the 1930s. This collaboration has produced a musical instrument that truly reflects the artistry of both Otis Taylor and the Santa Cruz Guitar Company. The OT’s compound radius fretboard allows lightning action while the Sitka Spruce with hot hide glue ensures the substantial power and clarity as described by Guitar Player Magazine: Dimensional and complex immediately come to mind when playing the Otis Taylor. A very rich sounding guitar with impressive articulation and note detail, the Otis Taylor Signature makes you want to keep on playing because it is so inspiring. And that’s reason enough to give it an Editors Pick Award.

Exquisite 2011 Santa Cruz Otis Taylor Signature model. Although Santa Cruz does not classify this guitar as an 00 or 000 model, I would say that it is very similar to a 00 model in size. 25.375" scale. Sitka Spruce top w/custom Honey tint. Beautiful tight, straight-grained Indian Rosewood back and sides (see full specs below).

The playability and tone of this stunning guitar is phenomenal. Just watch the video below of Otis playing the Otis Taylor model...diverse is an understatement in what this fine guitar can do. Highs are clear as a bell, and the lows rich and full. It excels with fingers and pick equally well in my opinion. LR Baggs pickup installed so you are ready to plug in and roll....

Condition is easily 9/10; the only thing keeping it from being a "10" is some light surface pick scratches on the pickguard and immediate area, as well as around the bridge. I am confident that all of these will buff out easily, but I have not tried as they are only visible if the guitar is held at certain angles in the right light. No dings I can find, no repairs, and zero fretwear. If not for the aforementioned minor playing swirls, the guitar would look unplayed.

Again, these do not come around very often and I've only seen a couple listed here on AGF...and when they are they are not inexpensive. There are two models of the OT...one with Italian Spruce/Madagascar Rosewood, and one with Spruce/EIR (which is what this one is). The former model typically sells for $6500 +. The ONLY EIR model I could find last sold for $4975.

TRADED Comes with Santa Cruz OHSC case, which shows only minimal wear from handling; I would rate the case at 8.5/10...all latches work just fine and are like new, interior is spotless and looks new.

As for trades, I might be swayed by premium boutique builds (nothing smaller than an OM) of equal value (Froggy Bottom, McPherson, Osthoff, etc.), or lesser value with cash coming my way. Also interested in upper-end Martin guitars (D41 Special, D42, etc. + cash my way). Let me know what you have and we can talk.

Here is a video of Otis himself playing and talking about his signature model:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM4Nn5XstsA

Specs:

Sitka Spruce Top
Custom Ivoroid Rosette
Adirondack Bracing with Hot Hide Glue
Custom Top Toner
Indian Rosewood Back and Sides
Sideways S29 Backstripe
1 11/16" Nut Width
Solid Peghead Headstock with Haircut
Ebony Headstock Overlay
Santa Cruz Script Logo
Round Neck Shape
OT Inlay on Ebony Fretboard
2 3/16" Width at 14th Fret
Ivoroid Bound Fretboard with Black Side Dots
25.375" Scale Length
Tortoise Pickguard
Nickel Open Back Tuners with Ivoroid Buttons
19.25" Body Length
3.875-4.875" Body Depth
14.5" Lower Bout
8.75" Waist
10.375" Upper Bout
SCGC Hardshell Case

And now for the eye candy:

Last edited by Gkiller; 10-18-2016 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Politics
Old 10-10-2016, 02:29 PM

Let's bump this rare bird back to the top!
Old 10-10-2016, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Santa Cruz Otis Taylor Signature - **TRADE OFFERS WELCOME**

Seriously cool looking guitar
Old 10-10-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Liv View Post
Seriously cool looking guitar
Right on...she certainly is!

I've been asked a couple of times why there are no frets after the 14th on this guitar, and the answer is quite simple. According to Santa Cruz, when they were working with Mr. Taylor on the design of this guitar, he was asked why he did not want any frets after the 14th fret, and he responded..."...because I don't use them."
How's that for simplicity?
Old 10-10-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkiller View Post
Although Santa Cruz does not classify this guitar as an 00 or 000 model, I would say that it is very similar to a 00 model in size. 25.375" scale.
The OT has the same size/shape as their H-13 model, which itself is an L-00 or 00 size with a deep body.

*sigh* I had a H-13 sunburst for a couple of years, arguably the most beautiful guitar I ever owned.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:40 PM

Make me a reasonable offer!
Old 10-14-2016, 08:10 PM
Guest2145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkiller View Post
I've been asked a couple of times why there are no frets after the 14th on this guitar, and the answer is quite simple. According to Santa Cruz, when they were working with Mr. Taylor on the design of this guitar, he was asked why he did not want any frets after the 14th fret, and he responded..."...because I don't use them."
How's that for simplicity?
Good thing Santa Cruz will never make a signature model for me; it would have 4 frets
Old 10-15-2016, 08:11 PM

Moving back up to the top....somebody needs to take Otis him with them....
Old 10-17-2016, 08:22 AM

Bump back up to start the week...most likely this Otis Taylor will not be here more than a couple of more days...seriously considering two trade offers and may make a decision today. If interested...now is the time to contact me!
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
otis taylor, santa cruz