The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2015, 08:53 AM

Default '91 Yairi, lacquer of poly finish?

I'm looking at a '91 Alvarez-Yairi DY77N (solid spruce top, lam rosewood b&s, maple herringbone purfling and rosette). It's plays and sounds great, like a Yairi should, but is pretty mediocre cosmetically (no issues structurally). Price is good, but not great.

Does anybody know what finish Alvarez was using on their dreads at that time?

I'm confident that the DY9_'s were lacquered, but I can't find anything on their other guitars from that time period except "natural," "gloss," etc. Looks like lacquer, but I'm giving Alvarez credit for making poly look good if they wanted to. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do a small solvent test on the finish before I pull the trigger on purchase.

It's appearance doesn't impact my feelings about the guitar, I'd just like to gauge its future value vs. how difficult it would be to work on the finish before I decide what it's worth to me now.

Any input is appreciated.
c. ‘76 Penco A-180 (MIJ Martin HD28 wannabe from “Lawsuit” era).
'70's Nagoya Suzuki no. 700 classical
Parkwood PW320M
Eastman AC OM-2
Assorted Franken-electric experiments in progress
(Early MIK Strats, SOO MUCH FUN to mess with)
Old 08-30-2015, 09:45 AM

Contact St Louis Music through the website. They distribute Alvarez Yairi guitars in the U.S.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:47 AM

I can't swear by this, but if it's a Yairi made in Japan, I THINK it's probably Lacquer. I never heard mention of Yairi using Poly finish. I don't know for sure...

Dan
Old 08-30-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPanther View Post
I can't swear by this, but if it's a Yairi made in Japan, I THINK it's probably Lacquer. I never heard mention of Yairi using Poly finish. I don't know for sure...

Dan
Yea, that's my instinct and you make a good point; I can't recall ever playing or seeing an MIJ acoustic that I knew was poly'd. It just seems to be more common even in the mid-range ($800-$1200-ish, some all solids) price point in last 10-20yrs. But as far as I know, those are mostly Chineses, Indonesian, etc.

Thanks for your input.
Parkwood PW320M
Eastman AC OM-2
Old 08-30-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
Contact St Louis Music through the website. They distribute Alvarez Yairi guitars in the U.S.
Of course, should have been obvious.

Thanks.

I see a '90 DY77 in your collection. If I understand the DY77 model, '91 was considered a "re-issue" (or "limited ed." or something) with the extra maple herringbone purfling (maybe a different species of rosewood?). I assume your's is lacquered, correct? Any glowing endorsements or bragging you'd like to give me about your's?
Parkwood PW320M
Eastman AC OM-2
Old 08-30-2015, 11:51 AM

I bought it new and it has been a great guitar. Not sure, but the finish is probably lacquer. It is still in excellent condition with a couple minimal dings. I wipe it down occasionally or if I've been sweating. Never used anything other than a damp cotton cloth.

The guitar is absolutely bullet proof. Never needed a set up. Never adjusted the neck. Action is still low. Plays great. This was my only guitar for 19 years so it has seen a lot of playing time. I had to replace 5 frets about 3 years ago. But that is it.

It also sounds great and has excellent projection...It can get loud when I want, but is very responsive to a light touch.

I have already promised it to my picking buddy when I go...I'll never sell it.

They are great guitars and kind of a well kept secret.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
I bought it new and it has been a great guitar. Not sure, but the finish is probably lacquer. It is still in excellent condition with a couple minimal dings. I wipe it down occasionally or if I've been sweating. Never used anything other than a damp cotton cloth.

The guitar is absolutely bullet proof. Never needed a set up. Never adjusted the neck. Action is still low. Plays great. This was my only guitar for 19 years so it has seen a lot of playing time. I had to replace 5 frets about 3 years ago. But that is it.

It also sounds great and has excellent projection...It can get loud when I want, but is very responsive to a light touch.

I have already promised it to my picking buddy when I go...I'll never sell it.

They are great guitars and kind of a well kept secret.
Yea, I hear that a lot (or I hear, "Yairi, what's that?"). I need to not worry about looks because I'd probably never let it go either. Of the couple dozen nice Martins, Taylors, vintage Gibsons I've had the priveledge to play, the Yairi is closer to the top of the class than the bottom; but it's certainly the best value.

Thanks for sharing.
Parkwood PW320M
Eastman AC OM-2
Old 08-30-2015, 06:59 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmatthews View Post
Yea, I hear that a lot (or I hear, "Yairi, what's that?"). I need to not worry about looks because I'd probably never let it go either. Of the couple dozen nice Martins, Taylors, vintage Gibsons I've had the priveledge to play, the Yairi is closer to the top of the class than the bottom; but it's certainly the best value.

Thanks for sharing.
You're not alone in that assessment. I absolutely love my Gibson Acoustic and will never part with it, but my 1977 Yairi Conquistador classical (that I've owned for its 38 year life) easily compares to the Gibson in tone and build quality at a fraction of the price. It is interesting that, especially with the passing of Kazuo Yairi about 1-1/2 years ago, the prices on these instruments is not rising. They are very much under-appreciated by the guitar world.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:47 PM

Go to www.alvarezguitars.com. Tom is the man to ask. Knows everything about everything. Give him the serial number and you will get back info. Ask for the finish because I did not ask for that specifically and was not told. I have a DY-71 in Koa, it was built by Kazau Yairi in Japan in 1994 and sold for 1100 dollars new then. It plays and sounds fantastic. I think the owner had the top tinted to match the koa becuse I have not seen another like it in any photo of that model. Either that or it aged over the last twenty years. Nice find you have.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
dy77, finish repair, lacquer, poly-finish, yairi