The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 05:41 PM

Thumbs up Kinnaird deep bodied OM/Southeast Asian Rosewood/Lutz. Let's do this again!

Yes, this is Kinnaird number 2 for me, why? Anyone with one knows the answer to that question, if you have one, you want two! My only hope is that two does not lead to three haha.

Bob Tucker please feel free to comment!!!!

This will be a deep body OM as I have heard soooo many accolades regarding this body type from the Kinnaird shop. The back and sides are Southeast Asian Rosewood which to my knowledge is pretty rare. It is hard to find a lot of info on it, Steve and Ryan had some, but had not built with it in the past, but have high hopes for the result.

The top is Lutz with just a bit of silking (yes this is sarcasm).

For any of you who remember my first Kinnaird, a fully dressed out SJ, this one will be more basic, no cutaway, no bevels, but yes to a sound port. We have some cool woods for the rosette, I think really cool, and a yet to be completely designed neck inlay, but general ideas are done.

Here are the first pictures:

Back and top, as mentioned above, Southeast Asian Rosewood back and sides, Lutz top. And in case you are wondering as I was, there is nothing rubbed on this back at all. There is a lot of color in that wood!

Center reinforcement strip:

More to come: Thanks for looking!

Last edited by TomB'sox; 11-17-2016 at 06:51 PM. Reason: New title
Old 11-17-2016, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful set of woods, Tom--I'm sure the deep body shape will really make this one sing!

Yeah, I guess you call call that a bit of silking...

I'll be watching this one for sure!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 11-17-2016, 05:53 PM

Here is a picture of a cool redwood burl slab that Steve and Ryan will use for the rosette. The exact section to be used is still up for grabs. This will be surrounded by cross-grained SE Asian Rosewood rings which will also be used for the top purflings.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:02 PM

These were the two woods narrowed down for the rosette rings and the top purfling....I went with the cross grained rosewood on the left...I think the color with the burl rosette is awesome! The one on the right FYI is Heart (Longleaf) Pine.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Beautiful set of woods, Tom--I'm sure the deep body shape will really make this one sing!

Yeah, I guess you call call that a bit of silking...

I'll be watching this one for sure!
Thanks! How is that Razo #19 working for you!!! Awesome I bet!!!
Old 11-17-2016, 06:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
These were the two woods narrowed down for the rosette rings and the top purfling....I went with the cross grained rosewood on the left...I think the color with the burl rosette is awesome! The one on the right FYI is Heart (Longleaf) Pine.

Good choice Tom. That red radial purfling will look great with the redwood burl. I'd be tempted to go after that splash of red in the burl, even if it meant a little asymmetry in the rosette color or especially if it meant a little asymmetry. Those cracks could be filled and made to look great. Just stirring the pot ��

Last edited by j. Kinnaird; 11-17-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Good choice Tom. That red radial purfling will look great with the redwood burl. I'd be tempted to go after that splash of red in the burl, even if it meant a little asymmetry in the rosette, or especially if it meant a little asymmetry.
Ha, funny you should say that as I asked your brother about that very thing last night!!!! He was worried about getting down into those cracks in the burl if he tried to incorporate that, but I don't think the idea has completely died yet.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Smile Yum!!!

Sorry, Tom, but I can testify that 2 Kinnairds are not quite enough...

I am working on my #3 with John K. The eastern half of the Kinnaird Conglomerate.

These Kinnaird guitars are mind bogglingly fine...

Have fun ! Sure is pretty wood. It'll sing like angels when Steve and Ryan are done with it...

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-17-2016, 08:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Oh, man, this is gonna be so good! What a happy surprise to see this new thread! Tom B'sox, everybody's best pal on the AGF, off to the races with another Kinnaird guitar project. YES!
That SE Asian Rosewood is beautiful stuff. It looks a lot like a couple sets of Honduran Rosewood that I have in my stash. I bet it rings like bell too.

Well, Tom, you know what you're in for! Steve and Ryan will do you proud- again. And everybody involved in this new project, including us spectators, will experience new frissons of gladness as the adventure unfolds.

Success!
Old 11-17-2016, 09:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks everyone for the kind things, and especially many thanks to the great patron and friend we have in Tom. You are a better man than I Tom - mainly because I couldn't have refrained from making the title "...SE Asian Rosewood/Lutz do this again!!!" Anyone who can keep themselves from that bad pun while ordering a second guitar from us is definitely a man without peer.

We're looking forward to using this new-to-us species of Dalbergia. It has a sweet fragrance that definitely earns the name Rosewood. Rich and beautiful, we can't wait to see it under finish. I think the other design elements Tom has chosen will be equally attractive.

"New Frissons of Gladness" may be the title of the follow up to my memoir "9 Miles to Looneyville" based upon my early life. We love your enthusiastic vernacular Steve. I like your new Eclipse.

We hope you enjoy this build.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas

Last edited by nacluth; 11-17-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Sorry, Tom, but I can testify that 2 Kinnairds are not quite enough...

I am working on my #3 with John K. The eastern half of the Kinnaird Conglomerate.

These Kinnaird guitars are mind bogglingly fine...

Have fun ! Sure is pretty wood. It'll sing like angels when Steve and Ryan are done with it...

Cheers

Paul
That is not the answer I wanted to hear Paul....the worry now is "needing" Kinnairds from both the Eastern and Western divisions....that is a whole new level of gasology....
Old 11-17-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Oh, man, this is gonna be so good! What a happy surprise to see this new thread! Tom B'sox, everybody's best pal on the AGF, off to the races with another Kinnaird guitar project. YES!
That SE Asian Rosewood is beautiful stuff. It looks a lot like a couple sets of Honduran Rosewood that I have in my stash. I bet it rings like bell too.

Well, Tom, you know what you're in for! Steve and Ryan will do you proud- again. And everybody involved in this new project, including us spectators, will experience new frissons of gladness as the adventure unfolds.

Success!
Thank you Steve, you are too much....I did have to look up frissons, finding the definition gave me a sudden feeling of joy!!!! Thanks for the kind words and you are a luthier of extraordinary skills with a Howard Cosell vocabulary (for those of us over 50).
Old 11-17-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Thanks everyone for the kind things, and especially many thanks to the great patron and friend we have in Tom. You are a better man than I Tom - mainly because I couldn't have refrained from making the title "...SE Asian Rosewood/Lutz do this again!!!" Anyone who can keep themselves from that bad pun while ordering a second guitar from us is definitely a man without peer.

We're looking forward to using this new-to-us species of Dalbergia. It has a sweet fragrance that definitely earns the name Rosewood. Rich and beautiful, we can't wait to see it under finish. I think the other design elements Tom has chosen will be equally attractive.

"New Frissons of Gladness" may be the title of the follow up to my memoir "9 Miles from Looneyville" based upon my early life. We love your enthusiastic vernacular Steve. I like your new Eclipse.

We hope you enjoy this build.
OH DAGNABBIT....Now I don't think I can get to sleep tonight. How the heck did I miss that opportunity. Ryan you win out for sure. I am humiliated. I feel like such a loser for missing that pun right there for the world to see. I would go back and change the title, but that would be like stealing the theory of relativity from Einstein. You my friend win the title of the punster of the luthier universe. The plaque is in the mail and lutz hope I can step up my game as this thread moves on. I will end this post as I don't want to string it along and stick my neck out any further, so I will try to fine tune my posts in the future and try to fill in any holes that may arise in the build and finish strong by polishing my techniques.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Raucous applause!
Old 11-18-2016, 04:37 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Congrats Tom, on your new Kinnaird. The woods are beautiful. I can imagine the depth under finish of both top and back will be something to behold. Nice choices for the rosette. Gonna be special.

I'm am charged up. Will be following with great interest.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop