The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-03-2015, 11:32 AM

Default Anyone here have any info on the "woody" finish on Emeralds?

So happy with my recent Emerald X20 that I am thinking about picking up another. Looking at the "woody" finish (mine is black). See the pic below, this is the one I want. Probably not for everyone, but I think it really stands out. Not sure if this is a yellowish color?? I am a bit color blind.

Anyway, not sure if the woodgrain is some type of laminate applied to the carbon fiber and whether or not this would affect the sound quality. Just looking to see if anyone here owns one or has any input on the matter. Thanks!

Old 05-03-2015, 12:16 PM

Emerald's FAQ says:

"The Woody series guitars are created by fusing a real wood veneer to the carbon laminate during construction which means the resin impregnates right into the wood fibres making it one with the rest of the structure."

Hope that someone who has played "Plain" and Woody Emeralds can comment on sound.

edit:
Yes, the guitar in the photo is in a yellowish color. Not unlike maple or birch that isn't tinted too radically.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-03-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Emerald's FAQ says:

"The Woody series guitars are created by fusing a real wood veneer to the carbon laminate during construction which means the resin impregnates right into the wood fibres making it one with the rest of the structure."

Hope that someone who has played "Plain" and Woody Emeralds can comment on sound.

edit:
Yes, the guitar in the photo is in a yellowish color. Not unlike maple or birch that isn't tinted too radically.
Interesting. Was not expecting that.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:26 PM

I have a 'woody' Emerald X10. Mine is a veneer of quilted maple and (in my view) looks stunning. The color of the back and sides is called amber and really compliments the maple.

Great looks but given the veneer is impregnated in the resin impervious to humidity.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:09 AM

I like my 2 a lot. They look cool.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber