The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-04-2022, 09:24 AM

Default A little trouble with "Trouble"

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and was hoping for a little chord type help for a song I'm trying to learn. I realize I have two songs with that title (the one by Cat Stevens I already have and it's working, though challenging to sing).

The one I'm trying to get the right chords for is Lindsay Buckingham's Trouble.

An utterly cool song, the lyrics are about as short and easy to remember as they come, but I'm not sure about the chords I got from online.

I found two versions, one with 4 simple chords, capo at the 1st fret, thusly, C Am Fmaj7 G6. The other version is unspeakably difficult (that is to say, impossible for me) with 14 chords, more than half of them barred, in the key of Db.

I'm playing the song with the easy 4 chords, not capoed, and it's sort of working. I don't know the song really well but it's one I'd like to add to my working list. Thanks for any help on this one.

Turtlejimmy

Last edited by turtlejimmy; 08-04-2022 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:35 AM

This is the version I learned.
It's fun to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2FNM6pAKoA
2016 Taylor 712ce
2007 Gibson Southern Jumbo True Vintage
Old 08-05-2022, 10:01 AM

Yeah, that's interesting. Thanks, Nobuzz.

I play with a flat pick so I'll have to work out something that catches the rhythm and the vibe. I know that feeling, that's he's on to with the lyrics, yeah I'm sure a lot of us have been there. Makes it even more fun to sing.

I love Lindsey's guitar work on the recordings. I wish I could play like that!

Turtlejimmy
Old 08-05-2022, 10:05 AM

I also like the song and album by the same name by Ray LaMontagne.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:29 AM

The way Lindsey Buckingham performs the song these days is similar to the performance in this clip --

Quite a transformation from the originally released version -- which never really appealed to me.

2016 Taylor 712ce
2007 Gibson Southern Jumbo True Vintage
Old 09-08-2022, 03:21 AM

No mas trouble aqui, I'm happy to report. I kept with it, and it's pretty much working for me now. The only change I made is that it was capoed at the 1st fret. I don't bother with that, I like it much better w/o the capo.

What a fun song to sing for me, especially the "I should ru - un, on the double" part where he breaks up the word run. Strictly speaking that only happens a few times in the song, as per his recording of it, but it's such a repetitive song, with that chorus, that you feel like you have license to sort of do it anyway you want. So, I add that line in at least a few more times, if I feel like it, which I usually do. And that chorus can be repeated for a while and it keeps sounding good, one of the things I love about the song and something that makes it faster to learn.

I'm adding it to my short list.

Turtle

Btw, Massive cudos to Lindsay Buckingham for writing such a universal song. I get so much meaning out of it in different ways. It's just a gift, some songwriters have, like Dylan, Tom Petty, to think of a few.

Last edited by turtlejimmy; 10-08-2022 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Clarity and accuracy, spelling
Old 10-08-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuzz67 View Post
The way Lindsey Buckingham performs the song these days is similar to the performance in this clip --

Quite a transformation from the originally released version -- which never really appealed to me.

Interesting. I'm just exactly the opposite. I especially like the Remastered in 2018 version, that puts a little more processing on his voice (utterly cool, I think). I like his slowed down acoustic version too, it's just a great song!

https://youtu.be/qs5R_HLPzeg

Btw, it did take a while to figure out what in the heck he was saying at the very beginning here .... it's almost unintelligible (Two, a three, a four). I like that part too, although it's not easy to get it to sound so goofy like that. If I was going to do this in an open mic or in a coffeeshop, I'd include that part. Probably the most fun song to play and sing that I've found in the last 10 years. I already have it memorized, without even trying, I've played it so much.

Turtle

Last edited by turtlejimmy; 10-08-2022 at 11:52 AM. Reason: The usual suspect; grammar and spelling
Old 10-08-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuzz67 View Post
This is the version I learned.
It's fun to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2FNM6pAKoA

This guy looks like he's really accurate down to the last details ..... That's exactly what Lindsay's doing in that live clip you put up, as far as I can tell. That's impressive. Thanks again. Back to work ......

Turtle
Old 10-13-2022, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

I like this kind of Trouble...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4UdTUwiI7U

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write