The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 07-26-2022, 11:54 AM

Default So if I love The Steeldrivers.... ?

... who else should I be checking out?

I love the blues-influenced "newgrass" or whatever people call it (I've heard "darkgrass" as well??)... all I know is, I'm not the biggest fan of albums full of fiddle tunes, and I love GREAT SONGWRITING. The Steeldrivers seem to have the perfect blend of great songs, great players (but without a ton of shredding LOL), and great vocalists (my 2 faves were Stapleton and Nichols.)

I have Clarence White. I have Tony Rice. I have 1 Bryan Sutton (Not Too Far From the Tree), but to me they are more traditional bluegrass/fiddle tunes/shredding affairs (and I mean no criticism with that remark), but less heavy on the great songwriting/singing.

Any recommendations?

Oh- I enjoy the Krauss/Plant collaborations, but they are quite... mellow... So the genre doesn't have to stick to "grass" anything, even tho the Steeldrivers are more in that land than any other.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 07-26-2022, 06:32 PM

My suggestions:

Billy Strings, Fruition, Steve Earle, The Dead South, Shovels and Rope, The Earls, some Ray Wylie Hubbard, some James McMurtry, The Devil Makes Three, probably a bunch more if I had my music library handy....
Old 07-27-2022, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
My suggestions:

Billy Strings, Fruition, Steve Earle, The Dead South, Shovels and Rope, The Earls, some Ray Wylie Hubbard, some James McMurtry, The Devil Makes Three, probably a bunch more if I had my music library handy....
Oh yeah... I forgot about Shovels and Rope; I remember hearing them when they first came out and was impressed.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 07-29-2022, 04:57 PM

Steeldrivers are great. They kind of have their own sound going on… maybe check out Leftover Salmon’s record called Nashville sessions? Kind of has some of that driving rock feel.

Dark horse suggestion - William Elliot Whitmore. I think he’s a one man outfit, but he’s also kind of got that rootsy/rocky feel on some of his stuff, and good songwriting
Old 08-10-2022, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

The Dead South comes to mind, but they seem pretty limited to a few songs, and a very similar sound in all of them. If they were new, I'd say they need time to grow, but they've been around for a while. Very interesting sound though, that I find hard to categorize.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN