The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-11-2022, 06:53 AM

Default Vidami Practice Pedal (blue) - Anyone Else Using it?

Anyone else using this?

Untitled.jpg

As a birthday present to myself, I plunked down the cash on the Vidami Bluetooth practice pedal (it was on sale for July 4th). This is the third version of the pedal, the first two being USB based.

With it, you can rewind, slow down, start\stop, and loop a Youtube video (and many others). Also, this version has the ability to turn pages, scroll TAB & Lyrics, and control a DAW.

The company is small - AFAIK, an extended family. They are working hard to integrate sites and platforms so that they will work with the pedal.

I am pretty much using it for practice, but will likely use the page turning function in the future. And practicing with Youtube works really well. I can create a loop easily and then keep repeating until I am happy with my progress. Right now, at three days in, I can see that this will improve my playing and my timing.

On the downside, I think it is a work in progress. It's complex because there are so many playback platforms in use, and they all use their own interface\command structure. The Vidami team has to code for each one. Also, switching between modes and knowing which mode you are in is not in the least intuitive. Once you learn the shortcuts, it's no problem. But it's not intuitive.

I hope that the pedal will be upgradable through the USB cable as many pedals are. Already I have requested several sites\playback programs become integrated (Looking forward to Fretboard Confidential (David Hamburger), Platform Purple (Homespun\Stefan Grossman)and Toby Walker). Supposedly, I can get "Transcribe!" (one of my favorite all time programs) to integrate, but I haven't full sussed that out yet. That being said, they could also use a forum\database for users to discuss these issues and workarounds that users have discovered.

I hope that some AGFers can add their own thoughts and reviews.

best,

Rick

Last edited by srick; 07-11-2022 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

I use the usb version and its outstanding. Really great tool for learning/transcribing.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:57 AM

I have one and use it some. My big want is Platform Purple. Almost all my lessons are either from Stefan or Toby.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 07-11-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
I have one and use it some. My big want is Platform Purple. Almost all my lessons are either from Stefan or Toby.
David - Same here. I sent them a request on that today. If you haven't already, drop them a note. I suspect that they tally up the requests and tackle them based on popularity.

best,

Rick

Last edited by srick; 07-11-2022 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

I agree with your assessment Rick, from my usb-Vidami experience. I also wrote Vidami and Homespun (platform Purple).

My impression is the good folks at Vidami are constantly expanding their compatibility with other platforms, but they probably need licensing rights for software purposes, and not all are equally willing to share. I got a “dont call us…we’ll call you” response from Homespun.

Im hoping they work this out, as I will upgrade to the Blue vidami as soon as they do. Its a great tool.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 07-11-2022, 04:05 PM

I had a great morning with mine working on some of David Hamburger’s stuff. But this afternoon, the Bluetooth connection between my PC and the Vidami failed, even though the other Bluetooth accessories are working fine. And, the pedal still connects to the iPad.

I preformed all the usuals: reinstall the drivers, reboot the computer, yadda yadda.

I have contacted the home office hoping they have a secret “ master reset “ switch.

I love\hate computers!

Rick
Old 07-11-2022, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
I had a great morning with mine working on some of David Hamburger’s stuff. But this afternoon, the Bluetooth connection between my PC and the Vidami failed, even though the other Bluetooth accessories are working fine. And, the pedal still connects to the iPad.

I preformed all the usuals: reinstall the drivers, reboot the computer, yadda yadda.

I have contacted the home office hoping they have a secret “ master reset “ switch.

I love\hate computers!

Rick
Are there other devices that may compete with the same driver? If you havent un-paired all other BT devices on that computer, might try that.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 07-11-2022, 05:18 PM

Default Problem Solved - Be aware of this limitation of the Vidami

They got back to me fairly quickly. Apparently you can only pair one Bluetooth connection (on the Vidami) at a time. I shut off the Bluetooth on the iPad and it worked immediately. I have suggested that this be put in their FAQs. I’d love to see more documentation on their website.

Quote:

I love\hate computers!

Rick

Last edited by srick; 07-11-2022 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:31 PM

Default Using Vidami with Transcribe!

This is courtesy of the folks from Vidami:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidami Support
Andy has updated the the Transcribe online Help page for pedals https://www.seventhstring.com/xscrib...ls.html#pedkey
Here are the keys/commands I selected (as they are typed in via keyboard or the Vidami):
  • Shift-K PlayResumeNoRewind (Works as expected)
  • Shift-{ PlaySelectionStart (Couldn't find one to move back 5 sec and toggle to beginning but this assigned command works well with a selection)
  • Shift-} PlayStop (Same for forward toggle end)
  • ` - Speed 50 (could have assigned any but this is what I use initially - be nice if there were a toggle command to go through more but no big deal)
  • ; - PlayLoopAB (Works just as expected)

These mappings work pretty well. As for me, I am pretty much interested in Start\stop, Looping, and speed reduction. This covers it nicely.

Access the re-mapping portion of Transcribe! under File -> Keyboard Shortcuts.

You'll want to:
  • Enter the Keystroke in the box on the bottom labeled "keystroke"
  • Click the "Create or Edit Normal Shortcut Button"
  • Then click the button entitled "Command when pressed" and select the function listed above.

Keep hacking away at it, you'll get it. There should be adequate info in the Transcribe! help file to get you up to speed.

Rick

Last edited by srick; 07-12-2022 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Who says IT never has happy endings?! Oh, that would probably be me.

Glad you got it working, and yes, that little tidbit should be noted clearly in the manual. I have at least 5 devices paired with all my devices and vehicles nowadays.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 07-12-2022, 04:16 AM

I had a nice conversation last night with their tech (via email) and pushed the idea of a Facebook page. I also mentioned this thread. From what I can tell, it’s a ‘Mom and Pop’ operation, so I am sure that everyone has their day job too.

Starting (and maintaining) a business ain’t easy!
Old 07-13-2022, 05:05 AM

Default Workaround - If the video says, "Watch on YouTube"

FYI -

I have run across this several times, most recently on Toby Walker's new music platform:
You may see a video in an inset on the page. Vidami may or may not perform its usual functions. BUT, if you click on, "Watch this on YouTube," (and of course, watch it through there) it works just fine.

Last edited by srick; 07-13-2022 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:01 AM

Quote:
FYI -

I have run across this several times, most recently on Toby Walker's new music platform:
You may see a video in an inset on the page. Vidami may or may not perform its usual functions. BUT, if you click on, "Watch this on YouTube," (and of course, watch it through there) it works just fine.
That’s good info thanks. Grossman’s site has a free lesson every Wednesday and those are on YouTube also.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 07-14-2022, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
That’s good info thanks. Grossman’s site has a free lesson every Wednesday and those are on YouTube also.
I have two of Stefan’s courses, and really like them….but just cannot get used to his very unusual tab system! (To me, a LINE representing a string is much more intuitive than a SPACE)
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 07-14-2022, 09:46 AM

Default FYI: Vidami and Truefire

As of this moment, the pedal fully works on Truefire only in the "Classic" view and not the "Tab" view. There is a pop-up in Tab view that says "Vidami looping is coming soon'.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write