The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 06-13-2022, 03:09 PM

Default Help with this Chris de Burgh song.

There is a noticable change with the music in the intro of this song at the 1:07 mark. The keyboard and band comes in and the tone is considerably brighter but I don't think this is due to a key change. So what is happening?

Here is my analysis of the start of the song "Say Goodbye to it All" played live by Chris de Burgh.

Again I'm looking to see what the big change is that occurs at 1:07 into the song.

The song begins with a keyboard part playing the theme to the song "Borderline" of which this song is a sequel.

At :30 seconds in comes a very funky electric guitar part.

About :07 seconds later while this funky guitar part is being played the keyboard + band begins playing these 4 notes which corresponds to the backing vocal of the chorus (Bye.....To.....It.....All)

Then at 1:07 the change occurs and the funky guitar part stops and the 4 note theme (Bye.....To.....It.....All) comes crashing through as the dominant theme until Chris starts his vocals

If you can figure out what changes after the funky guitar part you will have my endless gratitude!

https://youtu.be/t4sjN9Wtue8
Old 06-13-2022, 05:50 PM

Not sure what's happening, but that's a great version of the song. CdB is definitely one of the most underrated songwriters out there. Sure, 'Lady In Red' and 'Sailing Away' were low points for me, but nearly everything before that was excellent and he's done some good stuff since which has been ignored. Just going to grab the 12 string now and play 'Waiting For the Hurricane"...
Old 06-14-2022, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Not sure what's happening, but that's a great version of the song. CdB is definitely one of the most underrated songwriters out there. Sure, 'Lady In Red' and 'Sailing Away' were low points for me, but nearly everything before that was excellent and he's done some good stuff since which has been ignored. Just going to grab the 12 string now and play 'Waiting For the Hurricane"...
This is my favorite version of the song. I agree he is very underrated too which is a shame. I love the song "Waiting For the Hurricane " it's excellent!
Old 06-14-2022, 06:04 AM

I was referred to a musician on a Chris de Burgh music page who had done a cover version of that song, "Say Goodbye to it All"

He said the beginning of the song is in the key of Dm with a basic Dm and Bb progression and the change I'm hearing is simple key change but it's going from the relative minor (Dm) to it's relative major chord (F) which is the key the rest of the song is in!

Glad it got figured out!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN