The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2018, 04:19 AM

Default Neckreset little Martin less likely due to body shape and materials?

Hi all,

Just bought a little Martin Ed Sheeran "divide" version.

I was wondering if these little guitars are less prone to a neck reset in the future.

I can imagine this because of:
- Stratabond neck;
- HPL back and sides;
- The fact that it is a little guitar.

What do you think?

Kind regards,
Bart
Old 02-02-2018, 07:15 AM

Default Neck reset

I would think that they're less likely to have a neck reset because they're an inexpensive guitar.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new

Last edited by Athens; 02-02-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:30 AM

Doesn't the short scale significantly reduce the tension? Doubt a reset is very likely.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:42 AM

Thnx for the reply's.

That's what I thought regarding the shorter scale. I don't know if they are also lighter braced?

Any experts that want to jump in on this subject?

Also thought that the stratabond neck and HPL back and sites would be much stronger and would decrease the chance of the body deforming?
Old 02-02-2018, 04:47 PM

Any thoughts?
Old 02-02-2018, 04:55 PM

I'm far from expert, but the main issue would be the decrease in tension from such a short scale. I would doubt it would cause enough pressure to call for one.The neck has nothing to do with top deformation (the main cause of neck resets). As far as the back & sides, they play no part. I have seen several at the local GC that had the back separate from the sides though.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-02-2018, 05:16 PM

The short scale will definitely take off a significant amount of tension over the guitar's life, so needing a neck reset will come wayyyyy down the line.

I would not think these guitars are lightly braced; it would be the opposite most likely. Cheaper guitars are built like tanks and last a long time as a result.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

I am no expert, but do have one experience to call on.

My 1917 Martin 0-18 needed a neck reset when I first got it. Really, it wasn't too bad, just on the verge of needing one. So I went ahead and got it done. I am glad that I did, because it plays very nicely now. The 0-18 is a small, very comfortable guitar with a short scale. Back in 1917 and earlier, the scale was 24 3/4". Later, I think in the late 1920s, Martin lengthened to 24.9", which is still short scale, and I think that is still how they build them. This is the only Martin guitar I have, so my experience on this is limited, and I don't know if the aspects of earlier Martin guitars (whatever those aspects might be...) that resulted in needing neck resets, are still how they build them today.

As for materials, Martins were built very light back then for gut strings. They didn't start making steel string guitars until much later in the 1920s or 1930s. As for materials, back then they still made these 0-18s with Brazilian rosewood back and sides, later switching to mahogany.

I really don't know what would make a Martin more or less susceptible to needing a neck reset, but I do know that Martin is the brand that I most hear about needing a neck reset sometime during an instrument's life. From what I have been told by the luthier who did my guitar's neck reset, they are typically good for 20 - 30 years.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-03-2018, 12:51 PM

Agree ... paying for a neck reset on a +/- $500 guitar doesn't make a lot of economical sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
I would think that they're less likely to have a neck reset because they're an inexpensive guitar.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 02-03-2018, 01:01 PM

Congrats on your new guitar. First enjoy the new instrument. Next, don't worry or even think about what might happen years down the road. Too many people are worrying constantly about things that may or may not ever happen causing them to worry more and play less. If it needs a reset in the future, then it will. If not...................

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
martin, neck, reset