The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-06-2013, 04:50 AM

Default Neck Profile Opinions, Gibson J45 & J45TV

Hi there everyone,

Looking at Gibsons at the moment in the hunt for my main acoustic, specifically the J45 Standard and True Vintage Models. I have looked at Taylors and Martins and I am just getting a feel for different models before committing to one guitar. No rush right!

The neck specs on the Gibson site are different for these two, the Standard having a Slim Taper and the True Vintage supposedly having a Traditional V"
Whilst I was playing a J45 in GuitarGuitar yesterday, the sales rep explained that in fact the neck profiles on the Standard and True Vintage models are extremely similar (if not the same) and that the Legend was the J45 with the V profile neck.

If anyone on this forum owns both the standard and the True vintage, or has played both of them could you just shed some light on the matter? Are the necks the same? Are they different? If so in what way?

Playing the Standard was really comfortable for my left hand, and I am hoping that this is the same with the True vintage with the added tonal and sonic advantages that are associated with the True Vintage over the Standard.

I cant find a True Vintage in stock to play at the moment, hence me asking the question on here so try to refrain from saying "go and play one"! I will but just can't right now

Thanks to any advice you can offer.

Dan
Old 06-06-2013, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum.

I have found that there is *some* variability in Gibson necks even among the same model, moreso than with Martin which CNCs most of their necks. Anyway, I find the J45 neck to be quite full feeling, particularly as you move up the neck like past the 7th fret. The J45TV neck feels very similar, reasonably full as you move up the neck with perhaps a little more rounding to the fretboard edges.

Funny but just yesterday I played a J45TV whose neck felt very similar to my AJ's in that it felt slimmer, faster, and way more comfortable, and that is why I mention the variability issue.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 06-06-2013, 05:30 AM

Ah I have read about the variability between different guitars even of the same model with Gibson, interesting to find out that they don't CNC their necks! I think I'll try to play more than one to see if this is a problem or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Funny but just yesterday I played a J45TV whose neck felt very similar to my AJ's in that it felt slimmer, faster, and way more comfortable, and that is why I mention the variability issue.
Your AJ's? Sorry... Feel silly for having to ask and also that I should probably know what you mean but I don't I'm afraid! Thanks Brencat. Looks like I need to hunt down a J45TV with a neck like the one you played! I am all for the slim and fast over huge bulky.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

No worries. The AJ is the Gibson Advanced Jumbo. Best way I can describe the profile is that it is like a cross between the Martin Performing Artist and the 1.75" nut version of the MLO neck. It is definitely a slimmer neck than on the J45 variants. But the AJ is also a different animal than what you're looking at too.

Best of luck in your hunt! A great Gibby is a wonderful thing.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
But the AJ is also a different animal than what you're looking at too.

Best of luck in your hunt! A great Gibby is a wonderful thing.
I think I'll have a play on an advanced jumbo to see what the neck is like for comparison purposes and to be able to see where you are coming from. I don't doubt you but gotta check it out myself to see how my hands fair!

Thank you, hopefully I wont need too much luck - GAS for a J45 has hit me pretty hard and I'm really digging the aesthetics of the True Vintage model... Oh lord what have I got myself into!

Any other members out there got any experience with both models and their respective neck profiles?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Try to find a Gibson 5-star dealer if you can, which is the advice I got from another dealer I trust. I did not have very much luck during my ~ 4 month search with local places in NJ/NY area, nor with the GCs or Sam Ashes. The 5-stars seem to get the choice inventory and will have a better selection as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gibson, j-45, j45, neck, profile