The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-25-2024, 09:47 AM

Default Upgrade to my Behringer Acoustic ADI-21

I'm looking for the next step up for my Behringer Acoustic ADI-21 for an occasional open-mic usage. I like the unit and it seems to perform OK ... but I'm just wary of its plastic housing and its reliability.

I purchased a version of the device made for my electric bass guitar and one of the controls has become wonky as it will only work at certain spots. So I've resorted to taping it at a point where it works.

I would like something, if possible, that can run off a 9-volt battery so I won't have to find an outlet at these open mics. I'm looking for an inexpensive option as this will just be for an open mic. Mainly I just want something I can pair with one of my guitars with a passive soundhole pickup so I can control the volume and tone and, if possible, subdue any feedback.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 03-25-2024, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Budget? Do you require the DI or are you always taking the 1/4" instrument out (more typical at open mics, perhaps). And, what passive pickup is in your guitar?

p.s. (edit) this is probably in the wrong sub-forum...
Old 03-25-2024, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Budget? Do you require the DI or are you always taking the 1/4" instrument out (more typical at open mics, perhaps). And, what passive pickup is in your guitar?

p.s. (edit) this is probably in the wrong sub-forum...
Budget? Maybe $100 tops. I plan to use my Fishman Neo single-coil that I will be taking in and out of one of my guitars, probably my Alvarez AD710. I don't know if I really need it but I haven't used it yet ...and I don't trust the settings from the open mic's house tech to be honest.

As for the battery, it would be possible I guess to buy one of those little adapter things that will let me use a 9-volt battery to run the unit.

Please feel free to move this post to a more suitable forum, folks.

Yeah after doing a little online sleuthing I found that probably the best bet for me would be a BOSS AD-2 as it seems to offer what I need. So, admins, please delete this post.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

Last edited by Ralph124C41; 03-25-2024 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Budget? Maybe $100 tops. I plan to use my Fishman Neo single-coil that I will be taking in and out of one of my guitars, probably my Alvarez AD710. I don't know if I really need it but I haven't used it yet ...and I don't trust the settings from the open mic's house tech to be honest.

As for the battery, it would be possible I guess to buy one of those little adapter things that will let me use a 9-volt battery to run the unit.

Please feel free to move this post to a more suitable forum, folks.

Yeah after doing a little online sleuthing I found that probably the best bet for me would be a BOSS AD-2 as it seems to offer what I need. So, admins, please delete this post.
I don't think they'll delete your post.

Whatever you get, make sure you're pretty ready to just plug-and-play if you want to keep the host happy. (Seems like I'm repeating myself from another thread here, so apologies if I am.) If you've attended them before and know they're cool with extra pedals and stuff, that's good, but spending time looking for an AC outlet or asking if they have an extension cord, just for you, is not always welcome.

I tried the AD-2 a friend loaned me, and found it to be pretty noisy - well, too noisy for me. Maybe he had a bad one. And, it actually has no EQ controls, per se, but it does have a reverb-y "ambience" knob and some kind of feedback control, though I have never had a feedback problem at an open mic where it's just me and acoustic guitar and maybe one or two others on acoustic instruments. Feedback is more of an issue playing in loud environment, or perhaps through an on-stage amp, so maybe that's the kind of situation you have, and it would be of value then.

Good luck!
Old 03-25-2024, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Check out a used K&K Pure Preamp. Also Ultrasound made a DI Plus, Maxx etc
that sounded great with the Neo HB. All should be under $100 used.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:33 PM

If it works good for you, you can easily adjust it and get the sound you want, why not save some money and buy a second one as a back up? Sounds like you are only concerned about its reliability?
Old 03-25-2024, 02:03 PM

In the Olden Days it was normal to stick a Boss ge-7 in front of just about anything that needs massaging.

They’re still made for a good reason.

I have a fine collection of all kinds of lovely pedals and gizmos and use them all. My favourites are Tonedexter and Yamaha AG Stomp but if I had to carry one box to problem-solve in any situation it would be the ge-7 (and a good passive DI if the budget stretches).

Last edited by shufflebeat; 03-25-2024 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 02:53 PM

A little over your budget at $180 new the Fishman Platinum Stage EQ might just be a solution for you. Sweepable mids EQ, switchable low end rolloff. Can run on phantom, 9V battery or external 9V supply. Small enough to fit in a guitar case pocket and solidly built.

You might be able to find one used or open box for less.

Hope this helps, _Roger
Old 03-25-2024, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post
A little over your budget at $180 new the Fishman Platinum Stage EQ might just be a solution for you. Sweepable mids EQ, switchable low end rolloff. Can run on phantom, 9V battery or external 9V supply. Small enough to fit in a guitar case pocket and solidly built.

You might be able to find one used or open box for less.

Hope this helps, _Roger
I actually have one that I just recently got used from GC for $100. Not pristine looks, but works well, so far. I've tested it with my guitars at a couple open mics, but I actually got it for the mandolin, which I haven't had a live use with yet, but plugging [mandolin] into a PA at GC I liked what I heard.

A mini digression on the topic of the Platinum Stage EQ/DI...

One thing that surprised me (and the hosts) was that the XLR out on this thing is actually *line level* so I'm packing an XLR-TRS adapter because almost PAs will treat XLR as mic level. (Fortunately the hosts at both open mics where I've tried it are long-time friends and they forgive me some of these surprises ). AND (edit), the XLR output is not affected by the volume control - the assumption is the FOH will control that.

The other thing about this box is that its size and ergonomics are a little challenging. It's got a belt-clip thing, but I joke that it's maybe for Santa's belt (and waist) because it's really big compared to the Baggs GigPro I was using. There's no convenient place to put it on my belt and not have it risk banging against the mandolin (or guitar!), unless it goes behind me, and then it's out of reach. Everything but EQ and volume, including the useful "low cut" and [necessary] Trim ("Gain" on this device) are on the sides, so you need to get some of those things set before you plug in. It sounds extremely clean as preamps go, and I will probably keep it, but I'll have to have some marks on it for the different instruments and have it preset and ready for everything but minor volume and EQ tweaks. Of course, it could go on the floor, but you really can't mess with a floor pedal at the open mics I go to. Finally, yes, it can run on phantom power, but it probably never will be available if you're going into a 1/4" jack (or that part of a XLR-combo jack) of a PA, so a bit of a head-scratcher.

Last edited by keith.rogers; 03-25-2024 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm looking for the next step up for my Behringer Acoustic ADI-21 for an occasional open-mic usage. I like the unit and it seems to perform OK ... but I'm just wary of its plastic housing and its reliability.

I purchased a version of the device made for my electric bass guitar and one of the controls has become wonky as it will only work at certain spots. So I've resorted to taping it at a point where it works.

I would like something, if possible, that can run off a 9-volt battery so I won't have to find an outlet at these open mics. I'm looking for an inexpensive option as this will just be for an open mic. Mainly I just want something I can pair with one of my guitars with a passive soundhole pickup so I can control the volume and tone and, if possible, subdue any feedback.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Hi Ralph…
When we travel (my wife & I) I carry a Fishman Platinum STAGE. It is a well equipped preamp, with full Direct Box outputs (for both ¼" and XLR). It can operate on a 9V battery, a power supply, or from Phantom power on the main board. It is small (5.6” L x 3.3” W x 1.2” H).

It has both input gain and output volume controls, is housed in 'aircraft' aluminum, able to switch the input for acoustic or bass. It features three way tone, with sweepable mids, three levels of low cut (switchable), built in auto ground lift, and is about ⅔ the thickness of an ADI21.

It costs (March 2024) $179. It says it has adjustable boost, which it does, but it's a button you press which is recessed into the side of the unit. I can tell you this is something you will not likely be able to use for live performance.

I'm not a 'boost' user, but if it were something I relied on, this would not work for me.

Actually for a step up in price, the Fishman Platinum Pro ($329) adds a ton of features, including adjustable compression, a sweepable low cut notch filter, high pass (low cut) filter, foot switch adjustable 'boost', & a built in tuner…

It's fairly compact for a well equipped eq pedal, but I did not buy one because of what I consider to be a lack of rugged-ness feel. The smaller Platinum Stage is easy to transport and fits in a gear bag easily. This needs some protection.

Both are wonderful units and built for road use.

For the same money as the Platinum Pro model, you can buy a Baggs Venue which has most of the same features (no compressor). It is a solid performer with clearly labeled controls written in plain english. It is a large unit, but is more ruggedly housed.

Its predecessor (the ParaDI) provided the same controls, but the knobs are all labeled in 'code,' and the XLR output jack causes the mic cable to stick straight up into the air. You can still buy them…the technology is pushing 30 years old.

It is $100 cheaper than the upscale Baggs or Fishman ($229 USD). No boost but will work on 9V battery or phantom from the board. I still own one.

I have friends who still use these for live play.

There are many others, but these are reliable units which are all pro-level contenders, and housed in metal.

Hope this sows some ideas…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-26-2024, 04:31 PM

Thanks. So many ideas.

I do agree that if I am bothered by the supposed fragility of the ADI-21 that I could get another one or maybe a rival inexpensive unit like the new Sonicake Factory A or the even cheaper Caline CP-40.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 03-26-2024, 05:20 PM

My advice is to get a second ADI-21 as a spare. Not much on the market with 1M Ohm impedance and those EQ options at a reasonable price. If you want a high impedance unit for a shrill sounding/quacky pickup (with the EQ flat), then the Fishman Stage mentioned is the way to go. Lots of cheap stuff on Amazon, but I don't know who can vouch for the quality of that stuff. The circuit boards are all probably made in the same factory, but Fishman quality is usually tops. Some of the Amazon stuff is reported to sound decent.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
My advice is to get a second ADI-21 as a spare. Not much on the market with 1M Ohm impedance and those EQ options at a reasonable price. If you want a high impedance unit for a shrill sounding/quacky pickup (with the EQ flat), then the Fishman Stage mentioned is the way to go. Lots of cheap stuff on Amazon, but I don't know who can vouch for the quality of that stuff. The circuit boards are all probably made in the same factory, but Fishman quality is usually tops. Some of the Amazon stuff is reported to sound decent.
I think I can buy a new Fishman at 20 percent off.

I can get a new Caline CP-40 sent to my door for under $20. And it has a metal shell too. Amazing.

Decisions. Decisions.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 03-27-2024, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks. So many ideas.
I do agree that if I am bothered by the supposed fragility of the ADI-21 that I could get another one or maybe a rival inexpensive unit like the new Sonicake Factory A or the even cheaper Caline CP-40.
Hi Ralph…
I'm not the least concerned by any alleged 'fragility' connected to my ADI21. I'm sure some have died, but it's not a complaint that's actually being posted about.

That thing is rugged enough to be used as a floor-monitor prop while being plugged in.

But I do agree have a couple - you could buy 4 for the price of a Fishman Platinum Stage.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-27-2024, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Ralph…
I'm not the least concerned by any alleged 'fragility' connected to my ADI21. I'm sure some have died, but it's not a complaint that's actually being posted about.

That thing is rugged enough to be used as a floor-monitor prop while being plugged in.

But I do agree have a couple - you could buy 4 for the price of a Fishman Platinum Stage.

The thing is I have a somewhat similar model, the BD121, which is made for a bass. Same plastic body, same controls. That one, however, soon developed a problem with one of the controls. All of the controls on both pedals feel, to me, a little ... uncertain to use a term. They just don't feel "right" and in the case of my BD 121 failed on one control.

Nothing against Behringer itself but I just don't trust plastic-bodied guitar pedals that are you expected to step on and off repeatedly and maybe with heavy boots. I have also had some Danelectro pedals and they have really given me some reliability problems.

So that is why I really would like a metal casing for any foot pedal.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification