The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-07-2021, 08:06 AM

Default Guitar sounds better with Capo!

Hi,

Ive noticed more and more recently that my guitar (martin 000-28) sounds better with a capo. Even when only capoing on the first fret, and anywhere up to around the 6th fret, it just sounds better than with now capo. More tone, more responsive (I think), its the strangest thing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do I maybe just need a setup?
Old 06-07-2021, 08:08 AM

Yes, I had a Larrivee P09 parlor years ago that sounded more resonant with a capo.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:55 AM

My Bourgeois AT Vintage D BK really opens up when you throw a capo on it.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 06-07-2021, 08:55 AM

Some guitars really bloom with a capo, although there are some guitarists who insist capos are cheating. I wish I were kidding.

My Adi+EIR DN becomes a finger style guitar when I put a capo on it.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

…it would be prudent to have the guitar checked out for potential issues at the nut….it’s possible that it if it’s not properly seated or slotted it might be choking your tone….
Old 06-07-2021, 09:04 AM

I’ve noticed on my Yamaha AC3M that when I tune to Eb and capo on 1 it sounds like I’m using a little reverb. It’s pretty cool.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:11 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Although my guitars sound good with capos on - I'm always playing with one on, the open strings have a bit more sustain without one.

I play better with one on at the 2nd fret, than without one. Maybe its age related or just being lazy, but that's my sweet spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
...... although there are some guitarists who insist capos are cheating. ......
We live in an interesting world don't we?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-07-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post

I play better with one on at the 2nd fret, than without one. Maybe its age related or just being lazy, but that's my sweet spot.
Same here. It's almost like I'm a different player with a capo on 2.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

I think in general guitars do have more sustain when they are played without a capo. On the other hand, there is something appealing about shortening up the scale of the guitar and changing the pitch of the entire instrument. And putting a capo up on the 7th or 8th fret is almost like creating a completely new instrument.

I did this recording not too long ago using 3 different guitars all with the capo on the 7th fret. I borrowed a theme idea from Carl Miner that he used to demonstrate a Huss & Dalton OM guitar, spruce over mahogany. It's amazing how sweet the guitars sound...

This is the Carl Miner demo on the Huss & Dalton OM:

In my opinion, the capo can be used to create magic. What would "Here Comes the Sun" sound like without a capo? I think George Harrison played that up on the 8th fret.

- Glenn
Old 06-07-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDiv View Post
Hi,

Ive noticed more and more recently that my guitar (martin 000-28) sounds better with a capo. Even when only capoing on the first fret, and anywhere up to around the 6th fret, it just sounds better than with now capo. More tone, more responsive (I think), its the strangest thing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do I maybe just need a setup?
I have found this to be generally true for most of the acoustic guitars I’ve ever owned.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:18 PM

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I will probably get the nut checked out, as someone suggested above.

Don't get me wrong, I don't object to having the capo on, and don't understand the "its cheating" mindset, and i agree, it can make a mundane chord progression sound magical at the right fret! Its just, I find myself putting the capo on for no other reason than to alter the tone, even if just on the first fret.

I wonder, maybe its worth just tuning down a half step and always having the capo on 1st fret - but it seems a bit crazy to have to do that on what I consider a very expensive guitar.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:03 PM

To my ears and fingers, almost all guitars sound and feel better with a capo, and I nearly always play with a capo at first fret as a matter of course. Yes, you get the extra sustain without the capo, and a 'looser' tone, and I understand most folks would prefer that; but I actually prefer the tighter sound and 'sweeter' tone that a capo brings. It's nothing to do with the price of the guitar and nothing to do with the set up - I've come to accept over many years that it's to do with me, and the sound and 'feel' that I'm happiest with.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:05 PM

Norman Blake said they projected better (for the audience) when capo'd.

I go with this
Old 06-07-2021, 03:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

This may explain some of it:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...ight=zero+fret
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 06-07-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Some guitars really bloom with a capo, although there are some guitarists who insist capos are cheating.
I think such statements are more likely to come from folks who have gotten an education on a respected music school (like Berklee), who read music, who aspire to play with bands and orchestras and/or who play jazz...the “hard core” folks.

There are a few grains of truth to the “cheating” critique (but only a few, IMO).

When I use a capo to avoid doing things that I don’t want to do (learn more chord inversions, master more positions on the fretboard, develop the ability to use a greater variety of chords and chord shapes, etc. ), but that would make me a more versatile player, I can allow that this is in the general vicinity of “cheating”. But I don’t care...I do it anyway.

And, there are some great players who use a capo because they want to get a particular tone or find particular chord shapes to be a best fit for a particular song: James Taylor and Happy Traum are two who come to mind.

Last edited by buddyhu; 06-07-2021 at 03:54 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion