The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-07-2021, 03:04 PM

Default DR Strings

There are so many good strings on the market - such a blessing. I have found GHS and John Pearse to be really very good.

But I have to say I have found both the DR Sunbeams and Rares to be remarkably exceptional strings.

I have the sunbeams on two guitars - I don't know how else to describe the sound except as "sunny". A lot of presence, articulation and a sweet singing voice.

More surprising was putting a set of the Rares on a Waterloo-12. I usually prefer John Pearse PB and Silks on this guitar. Or GHS Silk and Bronze. The Vintage Bronze are pretty good, too. Other strings have been too bright and harsh on this guitar. DA NB were horrible. That experience scared me off trying Monels on this guitar.

But these Rares don't actually sound that different from the Sunbeams. Maybe a tad less "sunny" and a bit more "deep". Kind of bring another dimension to this little guitar.

at any rate, I was curious what your experiences have been with DR Sunbeams, Rares or any other DR string. Thanks! Cheers.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:07 PM

Personally, I like the Dragonskins.
Best tone I’ve gotten from a coated string.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 06-07-2021, 04:40 PM

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

I wonder if others find coated strings rubbery to the touch..
Old 06-07-2021, 04:42 PM

I've been playing PB 11's for about 4 years, but my hand issues have worsened so I decided to try an assortment of possible string solutions for the discomfort. I tried Silk and steel and flexible cores and I did find them maybe a bit more comfortable but one of this forum's members recommended Dr Rares. I guess it is because the DR Rare 4th, 5th, and 6th. strings in their 11's are a slightly smaller gauge than the brand that I have been using, but they are noticeably easier to fret. The tone, however, is very comparable and pleasant. I am happy with them,
Old 06-07-2021, 04:43 PM

The DR in their name comes from Alfred Dronge, founder of Guild guitars.

Lovely people too .... now if they'd just make a 12-string set of those marvelous Sunbeams!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-07-2021, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
Personally, I like the Dragonskins.
Best tone I’ve gotten from a coated string.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingSparrow View Post
I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

I wonder if others find coated strings rubbery to the touch..
Just to make it clear, the DR Dragonskins are not a "coated" string. They are "treated." There is no teflonish, slick coating. The wound strings are treated similar to Cleartone, D'Addario XT, Martin Lifespan 2.0... The Dragonskins are not at all slippery.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Guitar View Post
I've been playing PB 11's for about 4 years, but my hand issues have worsened so I decided to try an assortment of possible string solutions for the discomfort. I tried Silk and steel and flexible cores and I did find them maybe a bit more comfortable but one of this forum's members recommended Dr Rares. I guess it is because the DR Rare 4th, 5th, and 6th. strings in their 11's are a slightly smaller gauge than the brand that I have been using, but they are noticeably easier to fret. The tone, however, is very comparable and pleasant. I am happy with them,
I am glad to hear you found strings that worked. Hand issues are no trivial matter. It was actually an acute shoulder injury that let me to the guitar a couple of years ago. I had to quit a wonderful farm job because I needed to heal and while recuperating someone gave me the idea (bless em) to pass my time with a guitar. It was not easy to figure out how best to allow my body to get used to playing a guitar when I could barely hold a coffee cup or steer a steering wheel.

At any rate, open tunings, silk and bronze strings and a small body short scale 12 fret guitar helped so very much. I feel ya and am glad for ya. I think you may find that the Sunbeams are the slightest bit easier to handle than the Rares..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
The DR in their name comes from Alfred Dronge, founder of Guild guitars.
Sweet! Guild is awesome! One thing I never liked about GHS strings are the individual plastic wrappers.. I like how DR strings use paper and three sleeves. Perhaps there is a way to use even less material for packaging.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:58 PM

I’ve been using DR Rares on all three of my acoustics for a little over a year. I tried numerous different brands until stumbling upon the Drs, after that, the search was over.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:16 PM

DR Rare user here!
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 06-07-2021, 09:28 PM

Sunbeams feel & sound delightful and make me want to play more.

I have sets of Rares for both 6- and 12-string that are next up in the rotation.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:11 AM

Haven’t tried Rares but Sunbeams are fantastic. I’ve tried both lights and medium sets and actually preferred mediums on a 24.5” guitar. Easiest playing medium strings I’ve encountered other than GHS Thin Cores (which I also love). They are bright and loud for a nice long while.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:54 AM

I like DR Rare, but I have a hard time with the Sunbeams the guitar is stringed with right now.
They just doesn't sound right, to me.

Peace!
Old 06-08-2021, 05:05 AM

I strung my newly acquired Martin Dreadnought Jr with a bluegrass set of DR Rare PB's. They and the guitar sound good!
Martin 0015M
Martin Backpacker
Old 06-08-2021, 07:48 AM

DR Rare and Sunbeams were my favorite strings for quite a while, until I discovered Curt Mangan. They do basically everything DR strings do, but better.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

I really like the sound of the DR Rares on mahogany guitars. I have used them on several Eastmans and a Martin 000-18. I use GHS PBs on my two rosewood guitars. The two sets are basically the same materials but seem better suited as selected, at least to my ears. Go figure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion