The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-17-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
As mentioned, I plugged it directly into one of my SoloAmp's 1/4" inputs today. It worked fine. The biggest problem that I had with it was getting the battery compartment open. It was also a pretty tight fit around the mic cable's XLR connector, but I managed.

I suspect it will an absolute gas experimenting with some of the A1 Four's horn EFX on the human voice.

Most of my experimenting today was done with four different pickups in three different guitars. Using the simulated Baggs Venue EQ alone, I was able to dial in an Anthem SL rig and a Lyric rig very nicely. I've long been able to dial in the Anthem SL rig, but I had no idea the Lyric could sound so good. I'm tempted to use it for direct recording.
Thanks for sharing. That’s great to know. I also have an Anthem SL that I have not been happy with. Always working on the Mic/UST balance and struggle with EQ. It is in an all mahogany Martin. I did a little work, but more to do. The EQ alone in this unit is more than worth the price.

Funny you say that about the vocals. I actually used my Zoom A3 for vocals. It had a mic input. Great EQ, good effects and the ability to create vocal presets. I actually liked it better for vocals than the guitar. If this A1 Four works well with vocals, I may get two and just use one for vocal and one for guitar. I could sum them together in a DI box and use my Xvive XLR to connect both to my Bose S1 Pro. Lots of possibilities.

Having a blast with this Zoom A1 Four!
Old 12-17-2019, 08:05 PM

Aero,
How are you using wifi to connect to the bose s1 ?
Some kind wifi adaptor ?
Old 12-17-2019, 08:08 PM

Duplicate post

Last edited by woodenstrings; 12-17-2019 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 12-17-2019, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenstrings View Post
Aero,
How are you using wifi to connect to the bose s1 ?
Some kind wifi adaptor ?
I use the WiFi system that’s mentioned in my YouTube video ‘favorite wireless systems’.

Last edited by AeroUSA; 01-26-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:57 AM

Can someone explain to me how to update the firmware. Is it done with the "guitar lab" software or something else? I did the thing where you plug in the USB cord while holding down both pedals and a pop up on the pedal screen says "ready for update" and then I open Guitar Lab and a pop up comes up on the screen saying "Update Available" and I keep clicking "OK" and nothing happened and it keeps popping back up. What am I doing wrong? The instructions in the manual are here, but they are very vague:
https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/defaul...s/E_A1FOUR.pdf

says to "download the firmware"......Does this mean "Guitar Labs" software?
The it says "Launch the firmware update application on the computer".......what does that mean? Open Guitar Labs???

Other Zoom product have actual download links that say "firmware" in the title. I don't see any like that for the A1 Four.
Maybe there is no firmware update yet???

Last edited by JackB1; 12-19-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

What are you ^^^ trying to achieve with a firmware update? I ask because I don't think they're offering any yet, so what have you seen that makes you want one?

Additional effects are available to download, but they are imported through Guitar Lab. I doubt if any firmware updates would be via Guitar Lab, because firmware is effectively system software, not editable applications, as it were. (Excuse my limited tech vocabulary.)
Old 12-19-2019, 10:43 AM

Yeah I don't think there's new firmware available as of yet. My mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
What are you ^^^ trying to achieve with a firmware update? I ask because I don't think they're offering any yet, so what have you seen that makes you want one?

Additional effects are available to download, but they are imported through Guitar Lab. I doubt if any firmware updates would be via Guitar Lab, because firmware effectively system software, not editable applications, as it were. (Excuse my limited tech vocabulary.)
Old 12-28-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Thanks for sharing. That’s great to know. I also have an Anthem SL that I have not been happy with. Always working on the Mic/UST balance and struggle with EQ. It is in an all mahogany Martin. I did a little work, but more to do. The EQ alone in this unit is more than worth the price.

Funny you say that about the vocals. I actually used my Zoom A3 for vocals. It had a mic input. Great EQ, good effects and the ability to create vocal presets. I actually liked it better for vocals than the guitar. If this A1 Four works well with vocals, I may get two and just use one for vocal and one for guitar. I could sum them together in a DI box and use my Xvive XLR to connect both to my Bose S1 Pro. Lots of possibilities.

Having a blast with this Zoom A1 Four!
Any updates for vocals? I've been looking at the play acoustic and ve-8 but now you've got me thinking lol
Old 12-28-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_D View Post
So I wound up buying one.

I really like it. The acoustic guitar "models" really do sound far more natural than my pickups alone. The effects I've checked out are really good, too. I haven't put it through the paces yet, but I can see this being my main unit if I'm just playing, and using the VE-8 if I'm playing and singing.
Did you see people discussing using to this or an A3 for vox? Not to derail this so if you have time I'd love a pm with your thoughts on the ve-8
Old 12-29-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernslope View Post
Any updates for vocals? I've been looking at the play acoustic and ve-8 but now you've got me thinking lol
Haven't had a chance but will work on this tomorrow. I used the A3 for EQ and reverb on vocals. I hate it only had two places for effects.

I want to try the A1 four since I could use EQ, compression, delay and reverb together. I plan to try this together with the mic attachment.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Haven't had a chance but will work on this tomorrow. I used the A3 for EQ and reverb on vocals. I hate it only had two places for effects.

I want to try the A1 four since I could use EQ, compression, delay and reverb together. I plan to try this together with the mic attachment.
How did this go for you?
Old 01-26-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernslope View Post
How did this go for you?
Actually worked well. I put compression first in the chain, then para EQ and then hall reverb. I couldn’t get the compressor up to the standard compression applied in my TC Helicon Play Acoustic (not as smooth) but I could dial back muddy mid frequencies with the para EQ that were troublesome with my Play Acoustic.

I will need to do more work before I use it live. The mic preamp is quiet and has adjustable gain. Just don’t know how long the batteries will last.

At the very least, I can EQ my vocal and add some reverb, which gives me a small battery powered mixer with effects.

I want to add, I wouldn’t buy it this for this reason. Can it work for vocal.... yes. But it works best for my guitar.

Last edited by Marty C; 01-26-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:49 PM

FWIW, I'm liking my A1 Four more and more. The only drawbacks so far are the lack of a phase inversion switch, and an input impedance which is too low (at 470 KHz) for the passive UST in one of my guitars. For that particular pickup, I need to add a compatible preamp to the signal chain.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:19 PM

Anyone using it with Taylor ES 2 ?
Old 01-26-2020, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
FWIW, I'm liking my A1 Four more and more. The only drawbacks so far are the lack of a phase inversion switch, and an input impedance which is too low (at 470 KHz) for the passive UST in one of my guitars. For that particular pickup, I need to add a compatible preamp to the signal chain.
There’s an effect block that changes the input impedance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification